Betta Swollen Belly With White Poop Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Noob!, Jul 15, 2019.

1. Noob!

Noob!New MemberMember

65BAFACA-5F7D-4124-A7EF-08CFA87EBC86.jpeg My betta is over an year old, in a Planted, filtered, heated tank, living with RCS and Ramshorn snails. 50% water change in two weekly.

I noticed the bloat a week ago and fasted the betta for 3 days hoping the bloat will go away. Then I started feeding him peas for two days. But I haven’t noticed any significant change in the swollen belly. There is white poop hanging from his anus. He’s not lethargic and eating well. It doesn’t look like dropsy either.

2. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

You could start him on an antiparasitic. He may have internal parasites. He looks healthy otherwise. There are several products available for that and they shouldn't mess up your biological bacteria. Just look for one that treats "internal" parasites like tapeworm like Thomas Labs Bendazole, Hikari Prazipro etc. How much/ how often are you feeding him?

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  3. OP
    OP
    Noob!

Noob!New MemberMember

i feed him once a day with 5 hikari betta bio gold pellets and occasionally bloodworms.

4. Momgoose56

Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

That's a ton of food. He definately doesn't look typical for a fish with internal parasites. They usually look wasted. Tapeworm can cause stomach distension but he's otherwise very plump for a Betta. I'd try fasting him for a day then resume feeding him about half what you've been feeding him. 2 or three pellets a day and a couple bloodworms twice a week as a treat. Some Bettas will over eat and get fat...I had one...:rolleyes: