Help Betta Swollen Belly With White Poop

Noob!

New Member
Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
India
Experience
2 years
65BAFACA-5F7D-4124-A7EF-08CFA87EBC86.jpeg
My betta is over an year old, in a Planted, filtered, heated tank, living with RCS and Ramshorn snails. 50% water change in two weekly.

I noticed the bloat a week ago and fasted the betta for 3 days hoping the bloat will go away. Then I started feeding him peas for two days. But I haven’t noticed any significant change in the swollen belly. There is white poop hanging from his anus. He’s not lethargic and eating well. It doesn’t look like dropsy either.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,011
Reaction score
3,904
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Noob! said:
65BAFACA-5F7D-4124-A7EF-08CFA87EBC86.jpeg
My betta is over an year old, in a Planted, filtered, heated tank, living with RCS and Ramshorn snails. 50% water change in two weekly.

I noticed the bloat a week ago and fasted the betta for 3 days hoping the bloat will go away. Then I started feeding him peas for two days. But I haven’t noticed any significant change in the swollen belly. There is white poop hanging from his anus. He’s not lethargic and eating well. It doesn’t look like dropsy either.
You could start him on an antiparasitic. He may have internal parasites. He looks healthy otherwise. There are several products available for that and they shouldn't mess up your biological bacteria. Just look for one that treats "internal" parasites like tapeworm like Thomas Labs Bendazole, HikarI Prazipro etc. How much/ how often are you feeding him?
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Noob!

Noob!

New Member
Member
Messages
35
Reaction score
6
Location
India
Experience
2 years
Momgoose56 said:
You could start him on an antiparasitic. He may have internal parasites. He looks healthy otherwise. There are several products available for that and they shouldn't mess up your biological bacteria. Just look for one that treats "internal" parasites like tapeworm like Thomas Labs Bendazole, HikarI Prazipro etc. How much/ how often are you feeding him?
I feed him once a day with 5 hikarI betta bio gold pellets and occasionally bloodworms.
 

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
6,011
Reaction score
3,904
Location
Arizona
Experience
More than 10 years
Noob! said:
I feed him once a day with 5 hikarI betta bio gold pellets and occasionally bloodworms.
That's a ton of food. He definitely doesn't look typical for a fish with internal parasites. They usually look wasted. Tapeworm can cause stomach distension but he's otherwise very plump for a Betta. I'd try fasting him for a day then resume feeding him about half what you've been feeding him. 2 or three pellets a day and a couple bloodworms twice a week as a treat. Some Bettas will over eat and get fat...I had one...
 

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
105
Guests online
2,117
Total visitors
2,222

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom