Betta Swimming Up Python Siphon

Discussion in 'Cleaning and Maintenance' started by Nanologist, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Nanologist

Nanologist Well Known Member Member

I knew it would happen eventually... Since Phil started feeling better, after recovering from the fin rot that set in from living in the tiny cup from Petsmart, he's been really curious of me and the Python siphon during water changes.

He often tries to attack and eat the stuff I suck up from the gravel. Just ramming himself into the clear plastic, but not so hard I to make me concerned. Well, this time he decided to chase something right into the opening and got sucked right up the tube...

I immediately pulled it out to release the suction and he went pouring out back into the tank. He looks fine, no injuries thankfully, but definitely gave me a fright.

Anyone else have this problem? Should I take counter measures like netting him or separating him while I vacuum? He's just so curious and we all know what happened to the curious cat...

2. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Mine does the same thing.

You could just divide him away from the vacuum while doing cleanings.

3. Nauthes

Nauthes Valued Member Member

My rainbow fish do the same thing and bump into the plastic trying to catch debris.

But none have ever ventured into the tube lol

4. OP
    OP
    Nanologist

Yeah, I'll probably have to. He's really quick and persistent! lol

To think I never knew Bettas can be so fast and curious but up until this year I also thought, no thanks to current Betta trends, it was fine to keep them in a gallon bowl with no filter or daily water changes.

lol yeah, that didn't bother me so much and I actually found it quite comical.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2017
  5. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

You can put some sort of coarse netting on the opening of the tube. Just coarse enough for him not to fit but still able to suck up detritus.

I bought one laundry bag and cut it to size and used rubber bands to hold in place.

6. Bettanewb

Bettanewb Well Known Member Member

My guppies are super curious like that they're always in the way during water changes.

7. OP
    OP
    Nanologist

That's a great idea! Thanks! I love DIY projects. :)

8. cjbart1009

cjbart1009 Valued Member Member

Lol. I keep a lot of Pygmy Cory cats and sparkling gouramis so I need to make sure I don't suck them up during water changes.

9. OP
    OP
    Nanologist

Yeah, I'm careful and move the vacuum away from Phil but he chases after it... Most the time during a water change I'm avoiding him instead of vacuuming the gravel.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice