Betta Swimming Oddly (tail end sinking)

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Friendlyfish, Mar 30, 2010.

1. F

Friendlyfish New Member Member

Hello,

My girlfriend has a community tank with a few female betta, harlequin rasboras, and one bristlenose pleco. All the water parameters are fine and the tank has been up and running for over a year (with its current inhabitants minus the pleco there for almost one year at this point). About one week ago, we noticed that one of the female bettas was swimming almost vertically (it looked like her tail end had a weight attached to it).
    We separated the girl out into a separate tank and lowered the water level so it would be easier for the fish to reach the top.

We thought this was a swim bladder problem due to over eating (she was looking pretty round). So we fasted her for a few days, then fed her bits of pea (which she ate hungrily). But her problem still hasn't improved at all really. We also gave her a round of triple sulfa, but that has made no difference either. She is still in a tank by herself and getting fed very small portions.

What should we do next? Any idea what this could be if not overeating or a bacterial infection of some sort?

Thanks!

2. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Any chance of a picture?
    You say she is bloated, are her scales pineconing at all?

3. Meenu

Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

I was wondering the same thing - are her scales "normal" or are they sticking out (pineconing)?

4. OP
    OP
    F

Friendlyfish New Member Member

Thanks for the responses. Her scales are normal (no pinecone) and her belly is back to normal size. She seems fine other than swimming oddly. She comes to the top for food without problem, but just swims in a vertical line.

5. Martinismommy

Martinismommy Fishlore VIP Member

Sounds like she has swim bladder...

6. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

It does sound like swim bladder...this is confusing. If she has no pineconing and her belly is back to normal maybe she is still blocked up. Try fasting her for two more days then give her another pea. Other then that I'm about stumpt. Can you post a picture of her?

7. Tigerfishy

Tigerfishy Well Known Member Member

Yes, constipation is the next thing, or the swim bladder. From what I understand, these are connected. If she is a bit backed up, it may be she is still blocked somewhere.
    I wold give her some pea and then fast for 2 days. This should clear any remaining blockages and hopefully sort her out.
    Let us know how this goes and if it doesn't work...

8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning. Sorry to hear that your Betta isn't feeling up to par. Check out the link I posted above.
    Best wishes!
    Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice