Betta Swim Bladder Not Going Away

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by haileyhansen, Apr 10, 2019.

1. haileyhansenNew MemberMember

Explain your emergency situation in detail.

I got three ghost shrimp to help clean up the tank a bit. After acclimating them and putting them into the tank, I realized one of them had a broken tail but was still alive. My betta has eaten it before the day was done. I made a dumb move and only skipped one of his meals before feeding him like normal. I noticed he was floating and bloated when I was performing a water change so I got rid of the shrimp and started fasting him that night. He seemed fine two days later, so I fed him normally (except this time I pre-soaked the pellets, normally I don’t do that) and he was fine for a few meals. Then I noticed he was bloated again, so this time I fasted him for three days and fed him a portion of a frozen pea that I had boiled, cooled, then stripped the skin off. He seemed completely fine this morning and was swimming around happily, but I wanted to make sure he would be fine so I didn’t feed him. I came home from school and saw that he was even more bloated than before and was floating on his side when he wasn’t hiding between the filter and the wall of his tank. I’m afraid to do anything like an epsom salt bath because I’m afraid to mess things up even worse so I haven’t attempted one of those yet. I’m just really worried and I don’t know where to go from here.

I filled out this template and attached a picture of Gatsby at the bottom. He hasn’t dulled in color and looks completely normal - just very, very bloated. Please help.

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank?
    5.5 gal
    How long has the tank been running?
    3 months
    Does it have a filter?
    Yes
    Does it have a heater?
    Yes
    What is the water temperature?
    76-78 F
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.)
    One male Betta (2 ghost shrimp when the problem started but I have since removed them)

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water?
    Once a week
    How much of the water do you change?
    About 20%
    What do you use to treat your water?
    API Conditioner
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water?
    I run my pump over the substrate but I don’t vacuum it.

Parameters
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish?
    Yes
    What do you use to test the water?
    API text kit
    What are your parameters?

Ammonia: 0
    Nitrite: 0

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish?
    Twice a day
    How much do you feed your fish?
    3 pellets each meal
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Aqueon pellets

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish?
    About a month and a half
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms?
    1 week ago. He ate a ghost shrimp and I made the dumb decision to still feed him normally. I noticed shortly after. The ghost shrimp have since been given to a friend.
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms?
    Bloated, floating, hides behind the filter and heater.
    Have you started any treatment for the illness?
    I fasted him until he seemed better then fed him. He was fine for a day or so until I noticed he was bloated again. I fasted him for three days and gave him a bit of a pea and he seemed fine this morning. Came home in the afternoon and he was even more bloated than before.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase?
    No.
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all?
    He still acts eager and wants to eat anything I put in front of him. All that’s changed is that he is bloated, constantly floats (now he’s floating on his side rather than floating straight, which is how he was floating before I gave him a pea) and likes to hang out behind the heater and filter more. He occasionally swims around a bit before going back behind the filter. He does seem a bit more skittish though.

A1B73DF4-0B00-44A5-8E07-9C4408CBE904.jpeg
    Taken a few minutes ago. Thanks for reading and I hope you can help.
    Also, he does have some tears in his fins! Those happened awhile ago and haven’t gotten any worse.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  2. haileyhansenNew MemberMember

Brief update: I just saw him poop a ton of something. Might have been the pea. Still bloated.

3. haileyhansenNew MemberMember

Sorry, here’s another update. I think Gatsby pooped again and he isn’t bloated anymore. When can I feed him again? If he becomes bloated again before feeding him, should I feed him another pea?

4. SharkaroidValued MemberMember

Fast him for one day and feed him only two pellets instead of three, you might be overfeeding him a little bit.

5. haileyhansenNew MemberMember

Gatsby was swimming around fine but I just went and checked on him and he was bloated again and floating behind the filter. He seems to be getting better but just ends up bloating again. Should I try another pea?

6. SharkaroidValued MemberMember

nono, more food will bloat him even more. The floating must be due to gas buildup in his stomach, which means he has to fart. Betta swim bladders are near their tails.

7. haileyhansenNew MemberMember

Okay. So how do I get it to go away? He’s still bloated (even more than before).
    I’ve attached some pictures of him from a few minutes ago (please excuse his wacky fins, those were torn awhile ago and healed odd)
    FFC838E5-00D3-42FD-BE19-D2634A11F517.png4F0672BD-8E17-4FD7-B7DC-FA0498141476.png90EC3DEB-62C8-4821-8138-65845D9596DC.png2D9E7B19-DC7D-4EBB-BEE1-DD55BD5521B7.png

Attached Files: