Help Betta suddenly gasping for air at the top and bottom of the tank

microkate

Reaction score
Hi,
my betta has suddenly started gasping for air at the top and bottom of the tank and she's a little bloated. she's also gotten really skittish, like suddenly darting and constantly flaring when she sees me. she is still eating. I'm going to fast her for a couple days but otherwise I have no idea what the problem is. she's gotten pale and sometimes she just sits and floats at the surface, trying to get air I think. Before she was constantly showing her vertical stripes and now they're completely gone. this was just a sudden change so i'm worried, any advice would be appreciated. thanks.

3.5 gallon tank
pH: 7.0
Ammonia: ~.25
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: ~20
Temperature: 78 degrees
tank has amazon sword, anubis, 3 moss balls and just a little log thing for her to hide in.

I have done a 30% water change but that didn't seem to alleviate anything.

sinned4g63

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Any kind of ammonia is bad especially in smaller tanks. It can burn the gills and cause breathing trouble and a number of other negative effects.

You're on the right track with water changes, fresh water is the best possible thing you can do. I would also suggest getting some Seachem Prime to neutralize any ammonia or nitrites/nitrates. You can use it daily to make sure swings don't harm the fish, small tanks can have some pretty bad swings because there's less water volume to dilute waste and such.

It would also benefit to give them something by the surface to rest on like a betta leaf or a floating plant or you can lower the water level so they don't have as much depth to cover to reach the surface. If they have trouble using gills to breathe they will swim to the surface for air, if this become difficult it can stress the fish and further decline in health.

OP
M

microkate

Reaction score
sinned4g63 said:
Any kind of ammonia is bad especially in smaller tanks. It can burn the gills and cause breathing trouble and a number of other negative effects.

You're on the right track with water changes, fresh water is the best possible thing you can do. I would also suggest getting some Seachem Prime to neutralize any ammonia or nitrites/nitrates. You can use it daily to make sure swings don't harm the fish, small tanks can have some pretty bad swings because there's less water volume to dilute waste and such.

It would also benefit to give them something by the surface to rest on like a betta leaf or a floating plant or you can lower the water level so they don't have as much depth to cover to reach the surface. If they have trouble using gills to breathe they will swim to the surface for air, if this become difficult it can stress the fish and further decline in health.
thank, but I'm such an idiot. I have been misreading my thermometer the entire time, shes been in high 80s for the past couple weeks/months. I feel so horrible. it was too hot for her in there but I'm getting a new heater since this one broke. I've put her thru so much.

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
microkate said:
thank, but I'm such an idiot. I have been misreading my thermometer the entire time, shes been in high 80s for the past couple weeks/months. I feel so horrible. it was too hot for her in there but I'm getting a new heater since this one broke. I've put her thru so much.
I'm living in a tropical country which the thermometer always reads 79 at night and 80 to 85F at daytime and 85 to 90f during summer or El Niño occurs. I just use a portable fan directing above the tank to disperse some heat. Maybe you we're just feeding it a little bit too much? Try to fast it and see if it's still no progress.

prasunchoudhari

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rhyan said:
I'm living in a tropical country which the thermometer always reads 79 at night and 80 to 85F at daytime and 85 to 90f during summer or El Niño occurs. I just use a portable fan directing above the tank to disperse some heat. Maybe you we're just feeding it a little bit too much? Try to fast it and see if it's still no progress.
try adding a cooling unit to the tank

rhyan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
prasunchoudhari said:
try adding a cooling unit to the tank
Thanks! Yup I already have a portable fan that acts as an exhaust fan over the tanks and I use it whenever the temperature rises. It's much cheaper than installing AC in the room.

prasunchoudhari

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
rhyan said:
Thanks! Yup I already have a portable fan that acts as an exhaust fan over the tanks and I use it whenever the temperature rises. It's much cheaper than installing AC in the room.
do you have an ac in your house ?

if yes then try shifting your tank in that room so that the water will cool at the night when you turn the AC on. this will definitely help in reducing the water temperature a lot

New Threads