Help Betta Sucked up by Gravel Vacuum

Elodea

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Oh my god. I was doign a water change, and the Splash, curious to fault, decided to swim right up the tube. Well you know what happens. He got stuck halfway, and I had a heck fo a time getting him out. Now he's back in the tank, but his fins are ripped and hes lost quite a few scales. He's even bleeding.

On the other hand, Splash was able to swim into his cave, so I'm guessing he's not that bad, but what do I do now? I hope he hasn't suffered any internal injuries but it seems inevitable. :'(

jerilovesfrogs

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
oh no! I always fear one of mine will be sucked up too...they just won't leave it alone! I hope he's ok. maybe get some stress coat and vita chem to boost his immunity to fight infection. i'm sorry that happened

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Oh no Brian, that's terrible. They're too curious for their own good.

Like Jers said, extra stress coat, garlic guard, vita-chem, warm pristine water is the best you can do.
Hope nothing internal going on.

Good luck and keep us up to date.

OP
Elodea

Elodea

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Currently, he's able to swim around to some extent, so hey may be okay. Just a bit roughed up.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I think he'll be ok. I have a festivum that ventured too close to the Python once, and got her face sucked into the end. She ended up being fine. I don't find that supplements are necessary when clean water alone will do the trick, but that's JMO.

Brainlady

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yikes! I am so sorry..... that is one of my worst nightmares that my Betta fish Ebee will get sucked up.... they are so nosey and will not leave the thing alone. My Angels would definitely get sucked up if they were smaller.... they come right up to the end of it. I think given some time and good clean water she should heal ok. Hope all works out well.

mosaicguppy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yikes! But I'm sure he's learn't a lesson and won't do that again. They are just too curious! hope he recovers soon.

yallyall1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Wow! a betta... I hope he gets better soon!

My endlers seem to think its a game they have been so close to being sucked up.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I've lost a few fish to the python. My bichir has actually gotten stuck in the tube twice. Took me like 5 minutes to get him out the second time, but he lived.

After that, I took a small net and cut it away from the frame. I cover the end of the vac and rubber band it on to protect the fish from themselves.

New Threads