Betta Stuck In Filter Important

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Lollipop0912, Apr 22, 2019.

1. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

So, I was netting one of my bettas out and it swam straight into the filter! Thankfully, I unplugged it instantly and it swam out. However, it got stuck in the filter and it has some serious fin damage. What should I treat it with? I’m thinking clean water and aquarium salt as a little bit of an antiseptic? My major question is how much salt? He’s in a liter jar currently (was in his own 10 gallon tank). So, how much salt??? Also, 50 percent wc’s every other day???
    Thank y’all.
    Ps. I have had this betta almost a year and am extremely attached.
    Pps his roomie betta (In divided tank) broke the divider and died because they were fighting. So, a caution: don’t do divided tanks.
    Ppps the red one is the one that died

Attached Files:

2. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

You can use melafix or Betta fix but make sure to keep good water and he’ll probaly recover. If your concerned about it happening again get a prefilter.

3. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

I’ve read that betafix can cause issues with the gills. Am I mistaken? Also, how much salt would you use?

4. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Is it a bath or is it temporarily living there

5. kallililly1973Well Known MemberMember

Also read up on melafix I don’t believe that is the best for bettas ... Indian almond leaves and clean water is sometimes the best medicine

6. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Yeah if it’s a bath dose heavier if it’s temporary living dose 1 tsp per gallon

7. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

I’m thinking about doing a black water with leaf litter for him when he gets better. I also agree that melafix is bad for fish. I’ve seen too many failure stories to completely trust the “miracle cure”...
    Edit: he’ll be living there until the fins heal slightly...
    So, for one liter, like a sixth of a teaspoon.

8. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

Do about 1/4 of a teaspoon

9. RepolieWell Known MemberMember

Move him back to his original tank, it's better than being in a jar. If he has trouble swimming, then keep him in a breeder box or lower the water level.

All you need to heal damaged fins is clean water. I don't think salt is needed because it's an irritant which can make him more stressed. Other optional additives such as Indian almond love or Stressguard have therapeutic and antiseptic properties that can speed up the healing process. I also don't really believe in the use of the 'fixes' in the aquarium.

10. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

Unfortunately, moving him back into his old tank isn’t an option because it’s saltwater now. He was supposed to be just in the jar for transport to where my bio display for a work presentation is, but with his fins being so nasty, I’ll just draft another one of my bettas. Then, he’ll have a decent tank when the bio display comes home. The only reason I turn to salt is because with other bettas I’ve had in similar situations, it has really helped them. I tend to dose lower than recommended so as not to add so much that it becomes a major irritant.

11. jjohnwmWell Known MemberMember

How about putting him into the tank just vacated by the betta who is on display elsewhere?

I've never really understood the logic of taking an ill or injured fish out of a healthy aquarium, and sticking it into a probably-unfiltered/unheated pickle jar to convalesce. A fish like this is in need of the best and most-stable conditions possible.

12. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

The betta isn’t yet on display. That’s the issue.... I’d just divide the tank but that didn’t work out for me so well the last time. The jar is heated and filtered but an upgrade should be coming within the week.

13. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

So far, I have a 1 gallon tank empty. I was thinking about setting it up as a Thailand Blackwater, but now it’ll just have to hold a betta!

14. EpicozWell Known MemberMember

That’s still small try to get at least a 2.5 gal

15. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

How much salt did you put in his original tank? The International Betta Congress suggests 1 tablespoon for every 5 to 7 gallons for bettas and state that amount is safe for plants as well.

Why don't you just dilute whatever concentration of salt you put in his original tank down to that recommended level with a water change and put him back in there. What kind of filter and heater works on a 1 liter jar? I'd like to get some of those for when I have to move fish!

16. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

I know it’s small, but it’s what I have and can get ahold of currently. There will be an upgrade in the future.
    I didn’t have any salt in his previous tank. So, for the heater I’m using an aqueon mini. The filter is a Jerry rigged connection to my quietflow 50. Water goes in through aquarium tubing and out through aquarium tubing into my 29 gallon tank. It’s not a huge deal pathogen wise since they have shared water for a while.

17. Momgoose56Well Known MemberMember

?? In a previous post when @Repoli opined that his original tank would be better for him you said, "Unfortunately, moving him back into his old tank isn’t an option because it’s saltwater now."
    So if his original tank isn't compromised, why is he in a jar and not in there?

18. Lollipop0912Well Known MemberMember

I’m confused now!
    His original tank is saltwater! When he was in it there wasn’t any salt. His original tank is cycling for clownfish. He is in a jar because I don’t have another tank currently available. In a week or so, I’ll have a 1 gallon tank available.
    Am I making any sense @Momgoose56 ???
    Ps. This is what I get for posting without coffee.
    Edit: the quietflow 50 is hooked up to my 30 gallon tank. While I’d put him in there if I could (it’s temp compatible roughly) , I have a feeling both my gourami and big angel would eat the betta. Also, O agree that his original tank would be better, but I was supposed to take him to my bio presentation and he’d have a big tank there. With his current finnage, that’s not going to work.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019