Betta Stressed Out 10 Gallon Tank

1. M

My Betta Moonstone Initiate Member

My betta chases her reflection no matter what, even if the tank lights are off. She has fin rot because of this and it’s getting worse even with the medicine.

2. Discus-Tang

Discus-Tang Well Known Member Member

If she's chasing her reflection just move the mirror away!

3. OP
    OP
    M

There is no mirror, just the tank walls!

She sees her reflection in the glass.

4. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

Get some photo background of plants or something similar or use card stock or construction paper and block off three sides of the tank.

You can also spray paint, but that's a more permanent solution .

Does she have hides? Floating logs? Is the tank planted? Too much open space can make some bettas nervous.

5. Discus-Tang

That's not possible. The way the light reflects is different inside the tank vs. Outside the tank. They only see out of the tank.

6. OP
    OP
    M

I’ve added lots of fake plants to ththe tank, so there isn’t much open space. The plants aren’t big enough to fully cover the tank walls.

7. OP
    OP
    M

Well, she’s swimming back and forth and flaring at the glass. How do I stop it?

8. Ulu

Ulu Well Known Member Member

I believe it depends on their relative light intensity inside and outside of the tank.

If the inside of the tank is dark and outside of the tank is light they will see out.

If the inside is light and outside of the tank is dark they will only see their reflections.

It's the same as that one way mirror on all the cop shows. The cops sit in the dark and the perp cannot see them. He only sees his reflection because the lights are very bright in the interrogation room.

If you want her to stop, cover her tank up so it's completely dark in the tank.

9. Discus-Tang

Water bends light differently than air.

10. OP
    OP
    M

Currently, the tank lights are off and the room lights are on. She’s still chasing her reflection.

11. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Member Member

Are you absolutely sure there isn't anything outside the tank she's chasing? It could even be an real plant or flower. Might even be dull but vaguely fish shaped.

12. Frostu

Frostu Initiate Member

I've actually had the exact same problem in my 2 & 1/2 gallon tank. However, it stopped once i turned his tank light off, and put a white background on one wall. What happens when you turn off both lights? Any reaction? Are there windows in the room, so that you could leave that open and the inner-room lights off? It might also be what the tank is made of.

13. OP
    OP
    M

I’m sure.

14. Ulu

Yeah, every material has his own index of refraction, and it also varies with every color or wavelength of light. Different colors refract differently creating chromatic aberrations and Prismatic effects.

Also, most fish basically look sideways (except for flounders and a few others).

They don't see perfect images as you and I see them: straight ahead.

It's more like being in the fun house.

They see warped reflections at oblique angles, and in intensities variable to the relative intensities of light inside and outside the tank and the angle between their line of sight & the glass.

15. Ulu

Plenty of light is still getting in the tank.

It bounces around inside and lights up the tank.

16. OP
    OP
    M

Her lower fin is nearly gone because of fin rot now. She continues to chase her reflection.

I use stress coat and melafix but neither are working.

She has a handmade betta log (the white cup) and plenty of decor.

Attached Files:

17. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Member Member

Fin rot doesn't go away overnight. It will take months for her fins to grow back.

The best fix for fin rot is lots and lots of fresh clean water. Meaning, change her water every day, every other day at least, to promote healing.

If you are certain your betta is chasing her reflection, tape a piece of paper to the outside of the tank on the area where she normally sees her reflection. White paper is will reduce reflection the most. Black will cause the reflection to show up even more.

18. OP
    OP
    M

She normally chases the front side. Is there a way so I can still see her?

19. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Member Member

It looks like you've tried all kinds of things, even different lighting configurations. Is the tank acrylic or glass? Some tanks are just naturally more reflective no matter what you do. Keep trying different things for now, but if nothing works you might just have to replace the tank with a less glossy one.

You could try covering the sides and back of the tank, to help reduce the amount of glare-causing ambient room light that gets into the tank.

20. OP
    OP
    M

The tank is glass. I have a few one gallon tanks, but I don’t think we have anything bigger. There is a light blue background on the back wall.