Betta Stressed Out

My Betta Moonstone
My betta chases her reflection no matter what, even if the tank lights are off. She has fin rot because of this and it’s getting worse even with the medicine.

Discus-Tang
If she's chasing her reflection just move the mirror away!

My Betta Moonstone
There is no mirror, just the tank walls!

She sees her reflection in the glass.

maggie thecat
Get some photo background of plants or something similar or use card stock or construction paper and block off three sides of the tank.

You can also spray paint, but that's a more permanent solution .

Does she have hides? Floating logs? Is the tank planted? Too much open space can make some bettas nervous.

Discus-Tang
There is no mirror, just the tank walls!

She sees her reflection in the glass.
That's not possible. The way the light reflects is different inside the tank vs. Outside the tank. They only see out of the tank.

My Betta Moonstone
I’ve added lots of fake plants to ththe tank, so there isn’t much open space. The plants aren’t big enough to fully cover the tank walls.

My Betta Moonstone
That's not possible. The way the light reflects is different inside the tank vs. Outside the tank. They only see out of the tank.
Well, she’s swimming back and forth and flaring at the glass. How do I stop it?

Ulu
I believe it depends on their relative light intensity inside and outside of the tank.

If the inside of the tank is dark and outside of the tank is light they will see out.

If the inside is light and outside of the tank is dark they will only see their reflections.

It's the same as that one way mirror on all the cop shows. The cops sit in the dark and the perp cannot see them. He only sees his reflection because the lights are very bright in the interrogation room.

If you want her to stop, cover her tank up so it's completely dark in the tank.

Discus-Tang
Water bends light differently than air.

My Betta Moonstone
I believe it depends on their relative light intensity inside and outside of the tank.

If the inside of the tank is dark and outside of the tank is light they will see out.

If the inside is light and outside of the tank is dark they will only see their reflections.

It's the same as that one way mirror on all the cop shows. The cops sit in the dark and the perp cannot see them. He only sees his reflection because the lights are very bright in the interrogation room.

If you want her to stop, cover her tank up so it's completely dark in the tank.
Currently, the tank lights are off and the room lights are on. She’s still chasing her reflection.

InsanityShard
Are you absolutely sure there isn't anything outside the tank she's chasing? It could even be an real plant or flower. Might even be dull but vaguely fish shaped.

Frostu
I've actually had the exact same problem in my 2 & 1/2 gallon tank. However, it stopped once I turned his tank light off, and put a white background on one wall. What happens when you turn off both lights? Any reaction? Are there windows in the room, so that you could leave that open and the inner-room lights off? It might also be what the tank is made of.

My Betta Moonstone
Are you absolutely sure there isn't anything outside the tank she's chasing? It could even be an real plant or flower. Might even be dull but vaguely fish shaped.
I’m sure.

Ulu
Water bends light differently than air.
Yeah, every material has his own index of refraction, and it also varies with every color or wavelength of light. Different colors refract differently creating chromatic aberrations and Prismatic effects.

Also, most fish basically look sideways (except for flounders and a few others).

They don't see perfect s as you and I see them: straight ahead.

It's more like being in the fun house.

They see warped reflections at oblique angles, and in intensities variable to the relative intensities of light inside and outside the tank and the angle between their line of sight & the glass.

Ulu
Currently, the tank lights are off and the room lights are on. She’s still chasing her reflection.
Plenty of light is still getting in the tank.

It bounces around inside and lights up the tank.

My Betta Moonstone
Her lower fin is nearly gone because of fin rot now. She continues to chase her reflection.

I use stress coat and melafix but neither are working.

She has a handmade betta log (the white cup) and plenty of decor.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 99
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 97
IHaveADogToo
Fin rot doesn't go away overnight. It will take months for her fins to grow back.

The best fix for fin rot is lots and lots of fresh clean water. Meaning, change her water every day, every other day at least, to promote healing.

If you are certain your betta is chasing her reflection, tape a piece of paper to the outside of the tank on the area where she normally sees her reflection. White paper is will reduce reflection the most. Black will cause the reflection to show up even more.

My Betta Moonstone
Fin rot doesn't go away overnight. It will take months for her fins to grow back.

The best fix for fin rot is lots and lots of fresh clean water. Meaning, change her water every day, every other day at least, to promote healing.

If you are certain your betta is chasing her reflection, tape a piece of paper to the outside of the tank on the area where she normally sees her reflection. White paper is will reduce reflection the most. Black will cause the reflection to show up even more.
She normally chases the front side. Is there a way so I can still see her?

IHaveADogToo
It looks like you've tried all kinds of things, even different lighting configurations. Is the tank acrylic or glass? Some tanks are just naturally more reflective no matter what you do. Keep trying different things for now, but if nothing works you might just have to replace the tank with a less glossy one.

You could try covering the sides and back of the tank, to help reduce the amount of glare-causing ambient room light that gets into the tank.

My Betta Moonstone
It looks like you've tried all kinds of things, even different lighting configurations. Is the tank acrylic or glass? Some tanks are just naturally more reflective no matter what you do. Keep trying different things for now, but if nothing works you might just have to replace the tank with a less glossy one.

You could try covering the sides and back of the tank, to help reduce the amount of glare-causing ambient room light that gets into the tank.

The tank is glass. I have a few one gallon tanks, but I don’t think we have anything bigger. There is a light blue background on the back wall.

Dch48
Yeah, every material has his own index of refraction, and it also varies with every color or wavelength of light. Different colors refract differently creating chromatic aberrations and Prismatic effects.

Also, most fish basically look sideways (except for flounders and a few others).

They don't see perfect s as you and I see them: straight ahead.

It's more like being in the fun house.

They see warped reflections at oblique angles, and in intensities variable to the relative intensities of light inside and outside the tank and the angle between their line of sight & the glass.
I don't think there is any way for us to know how they see things. I am certain their eyes are much more capable of clearly seeing things in water than ours are. I highly doubt it's like being in a fun house.

Her swimming like that may have nothing to do with seeing reflections. She might just want out into the bigger world.

My Betta Moonstone
I changed the tank. She still sees her reflection, but only when the light is on.

Is there a way to adjust the light so she can’t see her reflection, or can I take away the lighting altogether?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    72.2 KB · Views: 72
IHaveADogToo
Fish don't need a light. The only thing the light does is make it easier for you to view your fish. Unless you have plants.

My Betta Moonstone
Fish don't need a light. The only thing the light does is make it easier for you to view your fish. Unless you have plants.
Thanks

My Betta Moonstone
I removed her light. She does chase the reflection a little, but not as much as before.

Frostu
Her lower fin is nearly gone because of fin rot now. She continues to chase her reflection.

I use stress coat and melafix but neither are working.

She has a handmade betta log (the white cup) and plenty of decor.

Now, I've used the same thing, and nothing happened. I also read a while back that while Melafix is listed to 'help with fin rot' and 'injured fins', a lot of people say it doesn't work, and (In my own personal experience as well) Makes it worse in some cases. That's when I migrated to Aquarium salt. It promotes fin regrowth, and recovery from diseases. I know for a fact that it works, since i'm currently using it on both of my males. You will have to research it a tiny bit, but it's very inexpensive and to me so far has the best results. (You can get a 16OZ box for about $3-$4)
Now, Since her fin is so rapidly destroying itself, I suggest the slow transition from '1 TSP per gallon' all the way up to '2TSP per gallon' with harsh mixing to make sure everything is dissolved. I promise, if you do it slowly, it won't hurt the fish. But this will require at least a single water change every one to two days, since salt doesn't evaporate like water does. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot easier, but it will mean that you have to be careful not to stress her out more, if possible.

Don't think this is the right method/If anyone sees something that needs to be corrected? Please say so.

Discus-Tang
Now, I've used the same thing, and nothing happened. I also read a while back that while Melafix is listed to 'help with fin rot' and 'injured fins', a lot of people say it doesn't work, and (In my own personal experience as well) Makes it worse in some cases. That's when I migrated to Aquarium salt. It promotes fin regrowth, and recovery from diseases. I know for a fact that it works, since i'm currently using it on one both of my males. You will have to research it a tiny bit, but it's very inexpensive and to me so far has the best results. (You can get a 16OZ box for about $3-$4)
Now, Since her fin is so rapidly destroying itself, I suggest the slow transition from '1 TSP per gallon' all the way up to '2TSP per gallon' with harsh mixing to make sure everything is dissolved. I promise, if you do it slowly, it won't hurt the fish. But this will require at least a single water change every one to two days, since salt doesn't evaporate like water does. Once you get the hang of it, it becomes a lot easier, but it will mean that you have to be careful not to stress her out more, if possible.

Don't think this is the right method/If anyone sees something that needs to be corrected? Please say so.
I agree with this. Never used melafix, but how can it have an effect on the fish if it just sits on the top of the water? It can also damage bettas' labyrinth organ.

Ulu
I don't think there is any way for us to know how they see things. I am certain their eyes are much more capable of clearly seeing things in water than ours are. I highly doubt it's like being in a fun house. . . .

First you say there is no way to know, and then you are quite certain you do, but finally you are doubtful?

I'm not sure you can have it all three ways.

Dch48
First you say there is no way to know, and then you are quite certain you do, but finally you are doubtful?

I'm not sure you can have it all three ways.
There's no three ways. It's all consistent. It's obvious fish can see better underwater than we can. It's also obvious they can see straight ahead. Just because we couldn't if our eyes were on the sides doesn't mean they can't. Exactly how they see things is impossible to know.

Frostu
I agree with this. Never used melafix, but how can it have an effect on the fish if it just sits on the top of the water? It can also damage bettas' labyrinth organ.
You do have to be careful. I had done my own mix with the salt and water so that it was barely noticeable at first, and then slowly started adding more. If you make sure to only add it when the fish isn't showing signs of stress/looks very uncomfortable, it should slowly get better. I do realize that if you let it sit, the salt could float upward, but at the same time could you very gently mix it back in with a fish-friendly object occasionally? So long as you don't hurt the fish, or make the situation worse, it might be doable. I do know that a lot of what i'm saying is probably not the best way of doing it, and that other people may have better suggestions. But at the same time if you have nowhere else to look, or can't afford the fancy expensive treatments, would if be worth it to at least look into the subject? Now, i'm not saying that I disagree with any of what you're saying, and I do hope you don't take it that way. I myself have to go the cheaper route, since I don't have a job and am seriously only 15. But this treatment has become a serious lifesaver for my fish. I have been very cautious with how I transfer them, though, so if one can do the same and at least get the fins regrowing, would it be worth it a bit? If you have any other ways of treating it, i'm very curious to hear them and i'm sure 'My Betta Moonstone' would like to as well

I do not wish to give false information, So all corrections or suggestions that could help the Betta would be amazing.

gwuensch
Hi! I can’t tell if my betta has stress stripes, or if that’s just his coloring. He’s had the stripe since I got him 8 days ago, it didn’t just appear. Thanks!

Attachments

• 644771CA-C4E4-4D60-9D20-43EB25A1285F.jpeg
    644771CA-C4E4-4D60-9D20-43EB25A1285F.jpeg
    86.1 KB · Views: 44
bumblinBee
I'd say those are probably just his natural colours. If you're worried about him being stressed, I'd pay more attention to his behaviour. Is he gasping? Is he hiding? Is he clamping his fins? Is he eating? If he's acting normal, I wouldn't worry too much

Ouse
Trying to observe bettas gasping due to stress is hard because it can be mistaken with their air breathing adaptation. Is it just me or is the belly a bit bloated?

gwuensch
I'd say those are probably just his natural colours. If you're worried about him being stressed, I'd pay more attention to his behaviour. Is he gasping? Is he hiding? Is he clamping his fins? Is he eating? If he's acting normal, I wouldn't worry too much
he’s not gasping or clamping. he eats like a beast definitely no problem there. he does hide sometimes by his heater and filter, but other times he’s darting around the tank super active so I’m not too worried about that. thanks!

Ouse
No problem.

If he ever does become ill make sure we know.

gwuensch
Trying to observe bettas gasping due to stress is hard because it can be mistaken with their air breathing adaptation. Is it just me or is the belly a bit bloated?
I was sort of wondering the same thing. It’s frustrating because I don’t believe I overfeed him. He does get fed twice a day but he only gets about 3 flakes each time. Do you think that’s too much still?

bumblinBee
I was sort of wondering the same thing. It’s frustrating because I don’t believe I overfeed him. He does get fed twice a day but he only gets about 3 flakes each time. Do you think that’s too much still?
What foods do you feed him, is it just flake food? Maybe fast him for a day each week, just to give him a bit of recuperation time. He does look a little bloated..

gwuensch
What foods do you feed him, is it just flake food? Maybe fast him for a day each week, just to give him a bit of recuperation time. He does look a little bloated..
he’s fed these omega one betta buffet flakes. i read they’re good because they’re 43% crude protein. maybe i’ll fast him for a few days and then start feeding him once a day..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.9 KB · Views: 16
Ouse
Bettas like to eat flake food, pellets and brine shrimp. It’s good to feed him something different from the last meal each day.

bumblinBee
he’s fed these omega one betta buffet flakes. i read they’re good because they’re 43% crude protein. maybe i’ll fast him for a few days and then start feeding him once a day..
It is a good food, but you should aim for more variety. Nobody likes eating the same thing every day ahah. Do you know if you can get your hands on some betta formula Bug Bites? They're another good option for food, sold for pretty cheap too. Betta's are insectivores, and although most pellet/flake foods designed for bettas are high in protein, very few actually contain insects. That doesn't make them bad foods, but the goal is to provide foods as close to their natural diets as possible. Fasting for a few days isn't a bad idea, see how he looks afterwards. You could also try soaking his food before feeding him, that way the food doesn't have an opportunity to expand after it's already been eaten, which can lead to constipation.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Dave125g
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishGirl115
Replies
Views
Manjit
Top Bottom