Betta still sick! Bloat and fins.

1. Sayba Well Known Member Member

So Reuben is still bloated and now his fins are suffering...

I have been doing water changes every other day regardless of what water tests come back like. I gave him an epsom salt bath two days ago and another today, he is still very fat, I still haven't seen him poop either.

I checked my ebay today and API salt has been dispatched.

Please help me, what do I do with the salt, add it to the tank or give him a bath in it? How else can I help his bloat other then peas and epsom salt, nothing seems to work.

Thank you in advance.

2. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Photos of the poor guy.

DSCF3361.jpg
    DSCF3362.jpg
    DSCF3365.jpg
    DSCF3366.jpg

A little more info, he seems to be acting normal. He is fed Atisons betta pro, frozen blood worms and frozen brine shrimp. Not all at once obviously. I feed him two or three pellets a day, every other day one blood worm. I fast him on fridays and some other days if he is looking very bloated. I have left feeding for about two days now after feeding him a tiny piece of pea. No poo so far.

3. Prep8611 Member Member

I'd honestly stop doing Epsom salt baths as you could be over treating him. Dont feed him for a few more days and he will poop. He doesn't look crazy bloated where I would be doing Epsom salt baths. I usually save that for dropsy which worked the only time i had to do it.

What kinda betta is that, a crown tail?

If it doesn't work you could try the pea again. My betta got way more bloated then him from eating all the shrimp babies in the tank and the only thing i did was fast him for a few days and he went back to normal. Sometimes you have to let the animal work through their problems and fix it themselves.

4. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Well the epsom salt baths haven't seem to have done much anyway, though I did probably under dose the water. Ok I will continue to fast him, how much longer should I go without feeding? He has gone two days so far.

Thanks for the help.

Do you know any other way to help his fins other then water changes? I'm doing 50% every other day.

5. Prep8611 Member Member

So hes not a crown tail?

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

6. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Oh sorry I forgot to answer bit. He was labelled a Super Delta.

7. Prep8611 Member Member

Ok so hes got some serious fin damage. Can u please do a water test and post your results so I could better help you? Thanks

8. mg13 Well Known Member Member

wow!!

poor poor guy!!! horrible fin problems!!!

9. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Honestly I think he was labelled wrong, he looked not far off this when I got him.

Ok just got round to doing that test, they always come back similar to this but my PH has shot down, I have just got him a small driftwood though, I know that can affect PH.

PH 6.0-6.4, Ammonia 00ppm, Nitrite 0ppm, Nitrate 0ppm.

I did do a big water change today, ammo is always zero though, his tank was cycled with old media from my big tank and a little bottled bacteria.

10. Prep8611 Member Member

I dont think your tank is cycled unless you have a million plants. You should still have some nitrates... He doesn't look like a crown tail to me ( he looks like a veil tail with fin rot to me) maybe fried betas or poetic injustice can chime in. I would test your water daily and do small daily water changes with prime until the issue is resolved. What kind of filter are you using?

11. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I have a tetra 300 plus his tank is 4 US gallons I think, he only shares it with a baby rabbit snail. Thats the way his tests have always come back, he does have a fair few plants in there, 6 moss balls and a potted leafy plant (no idea what it is) and some crystalwort.

I test his water before I do water changes, he never has any ammonia or nitrates, I have heard you need to really shake up bottle 2 on nitrate tests (only found his out the other day), if this is so I might have been doing the test wrong. I will test again tomorrow to be sure and give that bottle a good shaking.

12. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Good morning!

I tested his water again.

All the same really though nitrate does look a little darker, I gave bottle 2 the shake of it's life and smacked it around a little, seems to have worked a bit.

DSCF3368.jpg

and one from a different angle

DSCF3370.jpg

13. Prep8611 Member Member

Ya i still dont think your cycle is cycled.... Bettas dont make much waste so that could explain your non existent ammonia. No cycled tank makes those results.

Anyway how is your bettas dissension today

14. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

It could still be cycled. If you are doing water changes as often as you say then maybe nitrates are just not building.

Now the question is what's going on with those fins? When did that start?

Just so you know API aquarium salt not the same as epsom salt (magnesium sulfate) and will not really alleviate constipation I don't think.

I wonder if he is just stressed and overtreated. He HAS to be pooping sometimes or he would be dead by now. I would try letting him be right now, just keep his water super, super clean maybe a little bit of aq salt as you have been and see if his fins recover.

Good diet, once weekly fasting. You have seen his tummy go up and come down right? He has to be expelling some waste at least.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

15. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Oh no, I don't have the API salt yet, it's still in the post. I have only done two epsom salt baths, that is all I've done to try and treat his constipation other then fasting, this will be day three with no food and his belly is still big. I saw him swimming around the bottom of a potted plant I got from Just for Pets, I hope he isn't eating the sponge it's in.

He had bad fins when I got him, he was bullied in the tank they had him in. That was roughly three months ago, he was doing fine for a bit then it just went downhill. I picked up some Interpet fungus and fin rot medication just in case clean water doesn't do it.

I think my tank is cycled, my big tank has been running for over a year now and I used media from that filter and left in Reuben's tank for like two months.

When the API salt gets here, how much do I put in? His tank is around 4.43 US gallons.

Reuben is still acting fine, he is begging for food like mad now, this is the longest I've gone without feeding him.

16. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Wait - you left it for two months before you added Reuben? Were you dosing ammonia at all? If you just left media in there and didn't add ammonia or fish, the bacteria would have starved off, and the tank would most certainly not be cycled.

I'm wondering if the stress of the epsom salt baths are making him vulnerable to fin rot? Do you see any dicoloration - red, white or black usually? Is there damage on the pectoral and anal fins or just the tail fins?

The recommended doseage for aquarium salt is one rounded tablespoon per 5 gallons. Bear in mind, 5 gallons of actual water - a 5g tank is not going to have 5g of water once you factor in decor and such. That said, I would start slower. Maybe a half or even a quarter dose, but that's just me. Whatever you choose, do make sure you dissolve the salt in some tank water, do not add crystals. I add slowly, check for stress. Lowering the tank temp might help. It's on the low side but until my betta has healed, I am keeping his tank at 76F.

I was just kind of guessing that, if he wasn't pooping AT ALL, he probably wouldn't be around. But logically it makes sense. I tried a lot of natural remedies to fix constipation-related swim bladder issues in my goldfish - you want to know what fixed it? Getting back into a regular routine with fasting.

I hardly ever see poop in V's tank. But I'm just done hunting for it because I can see he's not super bloated. But I've heard that once a fish becomes blocked it's often easier for it to happen again. I would fast a day or two then go to feeding him one, small meal per day and see what happens. Use his tummy as your guide because he is obviously messing with you and hiding his poop from you :p

17. Sayba Well Known Member Member

Nah, it was a shrimp and snail tank before I got Reuben. I got Reuben through impulse and had to move all my shrimp into a breeding net and rehome them. Don't worry I know not to starve my tank of ammonia.

No he had the fin problems when I got him, his fins were already getting worse before I tried the epsom salt baths for his bloat. Some news though, today I saw a big ball of brown gunk in his tank, when I picked it out it was squishy, I think it might have been a ball of fish poo. Can fish do ball poos? He does look a tiny bit thinner.
    All his fins are suffering a bit, the only fins that don't seem damaged are pectoral fins, but they are very hard to see.

If I don't feed him tomorrow it will be 4 days without him being fed, do you think I should just give him a piece of daphnia? I always fast him on friday anyway, maybe I should do it another day in the week, wednesday and friday, break it up a little.

He is a nasty piece of work this fish haha, my mum keeps telling me to get rid of him and the pet shop owner said the toilet is the best place for him. I am determined to get this fish healthy again.

18. poeticinjustices Well Known Member Member

Haha okay that's good.

That definitely sounds like betta poop. It comes out in a little ball sort of coiled up. When V is constipated, it comes out much more like a solid ball, less coiled. I think you've got yourself a betta poop, congratulations lol. This is just me, but for the next few days I would alternate fasting and peas/daphnia till his tummy returns to normal and he is pooping green.

Once he does, re-introduce food very carefully. Maybe slowly work your way up to normal meals. Well, that's what I would do anyway. He might just need VERY tiny meals more frequently. Like 3-4 teeny, tiny meals a day instead of 2 normal sized meals.

19. Sayba Well Known Member Member

I'm so proud, I took a photo of it before I flushed it down the sink just in case you guys needed to see it. I think I'll get it blown up and framed! Well I'm in london today so I will defrost a small piece of daphnia for him when I get back. I would like to mash up some peas with it and feed him a mix.

I'll take your advice there, sounds very sensible. Thank you Poetic!