Betta starting to get sick

lynn.12

Reaction score
HI all,

I have a betta and suddenly just noticed yesterday he has a decent amount of fin damage.. the edges of his tail fin is tipped in white, and the top fin has rays kinda poking past the fin tissue. He is still super active, great appetite, etc. His eyes look a little cloudy however.

I think I’ve been too generous with food lately and triggered some water quality issues and that is probably the root cause here as my maintenance schedule for this tank hasn’t changed in the two years it’s been set up with him in it. Also since I’ve had him for two years he’s probably not as resilient as he once was..

Tank is used from a friend and I think it’s 2.5 gallons. Heated to 78, filtered. I did a 25% water change yesterday and today and changed filter media and then checked water parameters so they’re fine now but maybe weren’t yesterday (6.8 pH, 0 ammonia, <5 nitrate). Water is remineralized r/o.

My plan is to do 25% water changes every other day or so and watch the fins for improvement. My question is, is that sufficient enough or would you guys medicate/add salt/etc? He still seems to be in ok shape overall right now so I don’t want to let things get worse.

Thank you!

NBettas83

Well Known
Reaction score
If you could include a picture that would be helpful. So would Nitrite readings and your regular water change schedule. I am currently dealing with Fin Rot in my Betta and I was instructed to do 20%-50% water changes every other day. I think you are on the right track. Best of luck for your Betta.

SaltyPhone

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
So to be on the safe side I’d say dose an erythromycin and methylene blue products to cover the spectrum. Do a 50-60 percent water change before dosing. Let it sit in the water for 5-6 days water change meds out and observe.

New Threads