Betta Spots Of Raised Scales

1. Amy Haas Initiate Member

2. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Poor little boy. I am not an expert, definitely just a learner when it comes to fish disease, but that does look like some kind of infection. Fungus? The pattern doesn't look right for ich. Someone who knows will be along shortly. This will give your thread a bump.
    @AllieSten

3. Amy Haas Initiate Member

Attached Files:

4. AllieSten Fishlore VIP Member

It looks like columnaris. I'm pretty certain of it. The best treatment for columnaris is Kanamycin. If you have any inverts in the tank they will need to be removed or you will need to quarantine your betta for treatment.

Kanaplex is the most popular brand. Remove the carbon from your filter. Do a 75% water change. Add antibiotics. Follow the instructions exactly. The goal is antibiotics should be in the tank for around 7 days, so you may need to do 2-3 rounds, so get enough medication to complete the full treatment.

5. Corine Well Known Member Member

Kind of looks like fungus to me as well. Have you done a water test recently? How often are you doing water changes?

6. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Yes, you are both probably correct. I'm just learning about this disease stuff, but from what I understand, the columnaris bacteria infect the fish when things get out of balance, then fungus sets in and covers the wounds causing the fuzzy white appearace? Not sure about that. So treat the bacterial infection, and it should heal up. It looks like an advanced case, and I think it can move fast, so treat as quickly as possible and you can perhaps save him. I really hope he feels better soon!

7. Amy Haas Initiate Member

Thanks so much. I will do this tmr asap! Never heard of columnaris.

8. Amy Haas Initiate Member

Makes sense. I appreciate your advice. He's such a little joy. Always watches me working.

9. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Cool. And you may want to investigate why he got sick. From what I understand, columnaris (and a lot of other fish diseases), tend to arise when conditions have gone out of balance. Possibly water quality, or temperature, something may not be right. So feel free to post any questions, or post details about your set up, maintenance routine, or current water parameters if you test for those, and people here can usually track down the issue. Good luck!

10. Amy Haas Initiate Member

Recently I added a live plant. It began rotting. Clouded the water even after trimming it way back. I think maybe this caused it. Also, he got stressed. My out. Water temp is 75. He has a Japanese algae ball and is in a 3 gallon tank.

11. Amy Haas Initiate Member

Also I add 1/2 tsp awuarium salt. I watrr change the tank once a week.

12. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

That all sounds pretty reasonable. The temperature sounds a little on the cool side. Bettas really benefit from a heated tank. I think 79-81 is ideal and a 25 watt heater would be a good idea, if you don't already have one. Does he have a filter in his tank?

13. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Yeah, I agree with the thread. Cottom body/columniris, or at the very least some sort of fungus. Salt won't help your fish at this point, and cranking up the temp is the opposite of what you should do since that will just make all that nasty stuff reproduce faster. It is bare minimum, but it shouldn't be your priority right now.

This looks very advanced and - if it started only recently - aggressive. You need to buy Kanaplex asap, which is a Seachem brand of commonly available kana. I just successfully treated columniris with kana + furan.

Be careful of the dosage though as both are antibiotics. I read many very different opinions re: dosage, but just following the package worked for me.

14. bopsalot Well Known Member Member

Agreed. Heater for later. We're just trying to track down possible stressors.

15. Amy Haas Initiate Member

No filter, I have a heater. I'll put it on. Shall I use Focus with the kanaplex? Flakes or powder?

16. tunafax Well Known Member Member

Yeah, totally agree. Lack of heater/filtration can definitely be stressors. Maybe the plant.

Since it's a betta tank, the way I treat is just treat fish in bubbled tupperware for a week, and gut the main tank in the mean time. If it's the plant or heater or stagnant water, gutting will temporarily remove the problem, and then OP can go from there once the fish is better.

17. Amy Haas Initiate Member

Ok. I've had him for 2 years. Gosh, pet store didn't say I needed a filter or heater. Sad thinking he's been cold. I'm just threw the live plant away. I think it's harboring and messy. Thanks so much for helping me.

18. JLeeM Well Known Member Member

Columnaris is nasty. I'm treating for it now. I've lost three panda corys and my betta to it. I lost all of them before finding out what it was. Still treating to be safe though. How long has he had the patches? My fish died within hours of developing them. Not trying to scare you. Just inform. If you have other fish with him you might want to also add a med along with the Kanaplex that has nitrofurazone as a key active ingredient. It helps stop the spread of illness. Cool temps will also slow it down. I'd lower it to 75 F being that he's a betta. Lower it SLOWLY though to not stress or shock him. Once treatment is over you can slowly turn it back up. Good luck. Keep us posted.

19. Amy Haas Initiate Member

He has no tankmates except his Japanese Mossimo ball. He has had the had one patch for two months, only last week the others popped up. I had taken a pic to pet supermarket....tjey said just looked like stress and gave me tea tree oil medicine. Maybe that and the salt has slowed it down so? I will keep you posted. Can't wait to get rid of it. Yuk

20. Initiate Member Member

Yes I would definitely use Kanaplex. Be careful with the dosing because too much can be harmful use every ten days and do a water change every time you redose the tank