Betta split tail

0morrokh
Ok this is really weird. Cas was completely fine a couple days ago. Then she started acting a little off, swimming a bit funny, laying on her side to sleep. I did a WC as I hadn't done one in a while -[) and waited to see what would happen. Yesterday I thought her fins looked a bit ragged but I decided to wait another day to be sure. Today I get up and her tail is completely split in half. But aside from that she looks terrible. She's lost all her color and her fins aren't clamped but held quite limply, and the tail looks like it's split in a few other places beside the main one. Also she looks to me like she's losing weight. Now I've seen enough sick fish to think this is not an ordinary case of finrot, and it needs to be treated aggressively... The problem is she's in a divided tank with another Betta, and I can't put her in the q tank cause there's already a fish in there. So, I need a med that's at the same time strong enough to stop her finrot & whatever else is going on, but not going harm Fuego who seems perfectly healthy.

fishonthebrain
no expert but id treat the whole tank just in case the other guy might have it and its just not showing it yet.

hopefully someone with split tanks can give some better advice.

Shawnie
well, until you can separate in case strong meds are needed, the vita chem, garlic guard, or fish protector are like fish vitamins and won't hurt your other betta...as well as you know the daily water changes....hope cas gets better sooon!!

chickadee
Can you put a pic of Cas on here that may show her condition now? It may help to see what she looks like now? No chance you are having a return of the old problem you had with the other tank you had before is there? If so there is a med for that now at: that is only like $5.99 to buy and it is effective against it. So if there is any chance you are having a problem that way let me know as it is easy to come by now and it wasn't then. (Kanaplex by Seachem or kanamycin sulphate) That is the only place to get it that I am aware of though.

If that is the problem the whole tank should be treated.

Otherwise, make a hospital tank out of a new bucket and treat her in it. She needs to be treated with something like at least a constant clean water, Vitachem, Fish Protector and Rid Fungus type treatment but your other betta may not need it. The Vitachem and Fish Protector will not hurt him though if you decide to treat the whole tank with those but yes you need to treat her with something as it sounds like she is needing something.

We do need to see some pics if possible though.

Rose

0morrokh
Ok I changed my mind, I don't *think* she's losing weight. I think it just looks that way because her fins are so droopy. However her color looks horrible..she's completely dull dark brown, instead of bright blue. I had a heck of a time trying to get pics of her, especially since I found out my tank glass is a bit smudged. Pics are terrible but you can kind of see what she looks like. The split is deeper than it looks in the 2nd pic.

I don't know what to do...I feel like I should q her to treat but I'm afraid to separate her from Fuego...I don't want to stress her out.

Rose I do have Kanaplex already, hopefully it doesn't come to that.

Martinismommy
Wow she has a lot of finnage for a lady! I'll let Rose or Dave advice on this one ... I hope she recovers very soon poor little girl...

chickadee
No she is not wasting...you are safe on that one thank goodness. I do not want you to go through that again, hon. I remember that very well and I do not want that for you again at all. But she is not that way at all. This is a fin issue and it may not be totally a fin issue. How is she eating and what is she eating? She sounds like she has a digestive problem with the coloration change. I would take her completely off of betta foods for a day and give her nothing but peas. I want to see if she could be stopped up with something with that coloration. That is a coloration that indicates a digestive problem and even can indicate internal parasites. Is she bloated at all in her swimbladder area? Does she look like she could be putting on an egg sac?

Depending on the answers to the above questions to the above questions, she needs to be treated but I would start out by putting her on a pea diet.

Rose

0morrokh
I was assuming the loss of color was caused by her finrot? but maybe not. Definitely no bloating. She's eating normally (HikarI bio-gold...usually bloodworms as well but I need to get more), in fact she got impatient and jumped out of the water at me this morning which she hadn't done in a while. She seems to have less energy but is acting pretty normal. Really the more I watch her the more I think this is just an ordinary case of finrot, but we'll see.

chickadee
Well yes she does have a fin problem but the coloration change is usually indicative of a digestive problem. That brownish coloration is usually due to stress related to digestive problems. More often than not this is a constipation or partial blockage. That is why I suggested using the peas for a while. I would try this or check the temperature on her side of the tank and see if the water has gotten cooler and perhaps let her metabolism slow down and let her get plugged from slowing the metabolism. This is a hazard in divided tanks sometimes.

Rose

Sprinangl2
oohhh, I feel so bad!! I can't offer any advice, since i'm not a fish expert, and if I DID give u advice, and she died I would be run out of the forum! but I wish all the best to Cas. *to Cas* FEEL BETTER!!!

0morrokh
Thanks Sprinangl2.

I'll put her on a pea diet tomorrow. Temp on her side is 80.

COBettaCouple
Rid Fungus should be ok to use with a divided tank. It's herbal and organic so it shouldn't be harsh to their systems. Antibiotics though, would be a different story and she'd need to be treated in her own tank.. if possible 5 or 10 gallon for the meds dosing.

0morrokh
I treated with Rid Fungus but unfortunately in the last day she's gotten worse. Her fins are about the same and I still can't tell for sure whether or not she's lost weight, but she seems to be getting weaker. She's started laying on the bottom a lot and seems to have trouble swimming. It's not that she can't control her swimming but it's like she doesn't have the strength to stay afloat...if she stops trying she just sinks to the bottom. When she does have to go to the top (like to eat...she still has a good appetite) she tends to always be in a head up position rather than level in the water. Not sure if the swim bladder is infected or if she's just too weak to swim? Her color is still black. I'm gonna get a bucket to q her and put her on something really strong but I can't decide if she's got something parasitic or bacterial.....

Tazmiche
Do you have a plastic storage box you could use? as a q tank? I bought some that are for cd's they make great q tanks.

I wish I could help med wise but as you know we get different meds here. Any idea how old she is?

0morrokh
Do you have a plastic storage box you could use? as a q tank? I bought some that are for cd's they make great q tanks.

I wish I could help med wise but as you know we get different meds here. Any idea how old she is?

Yeah I'm gonna get a plastic bin for a q tank. I was hoping I wouldn't have to separate her from Fuego but she's too sick now....

Hmmm I'm not sure how old she is...

Tazmiche
I really hope she will be ok!!!!

voiceless_kat
Yeah I'm gonna get a plastic bin for a q tank. I was hoping I wouldn't have to separate her from Fuego but she's too sick now....

Hmmm I'm not sure how old she is...

I am sorry to hear Cas is feeling poorly. Sending love and healing vibes her way. Is she any better today??

Val

shellbell4ever
I'm so sorry to hear about Cas ...Please keep us posted and I wish the best for you both!

0morrokh
Thanks everyone. Today I noticed her finrot got worse...there's now a split in her analfin too. I read something that said internal bacterial infections can cause a darkening of color so I decided to try antibiotics...

Ahhh noooo! She's bloating! And I wasn't able to go out shopping until this evening but Petsmart was already closed. So I don't have an extra heater. My mum said she can take me tom morning though...hopefully she'll be fine till then.

I'll put her on kanamycin & epsom salt, hopefully it's not too late.....

voiceless_kat
I am sending my prayers for you both, be strong.......I know how stressful this is. We are all pulling for her.

Val

Alessa
Really sorry to hear that... my hopes with both!

chickadee
I am so sorry but those are the same symptoms that Marty had. Bloating, and all and the problem is that no antibiotic seemed to help. I do not know what is causing this with the bettas now. You have had Cas for long enough she should not be susceptible to the iridovirus I would think but if she was a carrier of it or something and just got hit with it or the conditions just happened to be right for it to mature it could be that this is the problem. If this is the case then I do not know what to tell you but I do not think there is a med that will help.

I am sending all the good thoughts I can but I don't know what else to try to tell you. If fasting and peas and Kanamycin does not work then I am afraid it is the virus.

Rose

Devon
So sorry about your girl. She really has beautiful fins, especially for a female.
No idea what could be wrong with her... this is a new one on me. I really hope she gets better.
Don't give up on her, bettas are tough little critters, she needs lots of love!

0morrokh
Rose I'm glad you posted that cause I hadn't done any reading up yet on that iridovirus. And [insert 4 letter word] Cas's symptoms sound a lot like that virus. I'm not sure though, for 2 reasons... 1) she should have died already if it is the virus, and 2) I don't see how she could have got it. I mean, I bought her from Petsmart where she was in a cup alone, and all her life the only fish she's ever been in a tank with is Fuego-the betta she shares the divided tank with. Plus I've had both of them for a long time (not sure exactly, I'd guess 1-2 yrs) and never had any health problems with either of them.

Well an update on her symptoms:
-Still black--all her pretty blue is gone
-Finrot suddenly got a lot worse
-I wouldn't call her bloated yet, but her belly's fuller than normal
-The worst: she seems to be losing her ability to swim. She struggles just to get to the top for air/food. I now have her in a plastic container with just 3 gals of water, but may have to lower the water level even more...
-Despite having a hard time eating (she insists on eating at the surface like she's used to, and won't let me hand feed her food underwater...) she still has her usual voracious appetite. I'm feeding her a variety of foods but with more veggie matter than usual. I'm pretty sure she's not constipated and I want her to have good nutrition to fight off the disease...but if she continues bloating I'll put her on just peas...

chickadee
Well I am glad but I think there are one or two things that need to be thought about. First she could be a silent carrier of the viral strain that needed a precipitating condition to happen to activate it and it could be something that she has carried from birth. This does not happen often but can happen. Viruses live sometimes for years in our bodies and only cause a disease when the right conditions happen to make them active. Fish are cold blooded and would make them perfect carriers for this type of condition.

You do not know what her companions were like before she reached PetSmart and where she came from before she reached the store. She can have a problem with inbreeding that is now causing her to have internal organ failure causing the bloating also. If this is the case then you will have no way to know this at all. This type of condition will take a very long time for the fish to actually become sick enough to even notice sometimes.

Also as far as the virus is concerned, most fish do die very quickly with it but I have also known of some who have seemingly gotten through the first stages and seem to be recovering and then relapse and keep going up and down in their efforts to fight it off and eventually die from it. It attacks one system after another until it finally kills the fish. I have not heard of any fish that have totally recovered from the virus. It is a sad thing you are going through with Cas and I do so wish there were something that I could do to help. Unfortunately right now there does not seem to be an answer to this that is available to us. We have lost so many precious fish lately and I am so sorry not to be able to help more.

My thoughts and prayers are going out to you and to Cas and to all the little ones and their owners who are in need of them today and every day.

Rose

0morrokh
Thanks Rose. Her condition seems to have stabilized for the moment. She swims perfectly fine when she wants to (like to go after food), but doesn't seem to have much energy and mostly lays on the bottom. Fins look bad but haven't gotten worse in a couple days. The split in her tail might be healing, can't really tell though. I really hope she recovers...it's so cute the way she **** her head to look at me when I talk to her.

COBettaCouple
Good luck & best wishes with Cas. We hope for a speedy recover.

Martinismommy
How is she today? I've been thinking about her....

0morrokh
Good luck & best wishes with Cas. We hope for a speedy recover.

How is she today? I've been thinking about her....

Thanks...no change in her condition from yesterday. Idk if that's good or bad...

Edit: never mind, I actually hadn't checked her since this morning cause I've been out all day. I did notice 2 things...1) she seems to be more active...at least when she saw me she started swimming around (probably looking for food ), with her only swimming issue being a tendency for her front end to tip upwards (due to fluid buildup in her body cavity?). She still lays on the bottom a lot though. And 2) she appears to be pineconing very slightly...and I mean Very slightly...in fact I didn't notice it until I thought to observe her under a light (her emergency q tank doesn't have a light over it). I would still consider her bloating only minor...someone who didn't know her probably wouldn't notice it. I would actually be kind of glad if this was just a regular case of bacterial dropsy (as long as it doesn't get worse), since at least I know how to treat that. Not that I want her to have dropsy. :-\

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
AverageAquarist22
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Top Bottom