betta splendens

1. Dazz Initiate Member

I was thinking about buying a betta splenden but I currently have some angel fish in the tank i wish to put them in. Can I put these types in the same tank and could you suggest any other good tank mates.

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

How big is the tank? Are their other occupants? The betta could nip the angels fins and vice versa the angels nip the betta if the tank isn't big enough for them to have their own space and get away from each other.
    Carol

3. Dazz Initiate Member

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I'm not sure how many gallons that is. Bettas usually do better in a species tank unless there is plenty of floating plants to hide in and lots of room to get out of the way of the faster moving fish.
    Carol

5. Gunnie Well Known Member Member

I'm guessing a 20 gal. high since my 20 long is 30 inches. Am I right? If so, I don't know if a betta would be a good idea. If any of your angels pair up, they are gonna terrorize every other fish in that tank, and probably especially the betta since his long flowing fins would be considered a threat.

6. Miss Mouse Well Known Member Member

I also think when you're buying the betta choose one thats in a tank with other fish already - then you know he's ok with others!

7. Janmitch22 Member Member

Yeah, bettas are hard to put in with other fish. Believe me, I've tried. Either the betta has done the terrorizing or the betta has been terrorized. I have three and they're all in their own little tanks now.