20 Gallon Tank Betta sorority?

Cowardlyslimeball

Hi guys!
Next year, I'm setting up my 20gal, so I've been brainstorming really cool (and challenging) stocking Ideas.
Can you do a betta sorority in a 20gal tall? I would heavily plant it and provide tons of caves and hiding spots. Any suggestions? Is this even a good idea? If not, any other ideas? Thanks!!

ArowanaQueen

I guess you could.

I'll be watching this. This was my original idea for my 20 gallon, but I turned out to be too much of a coward to try something so challenging. Wish you success!

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Hi guys!
Next year, I'm setting up my 20gal, so I've been brainstorming really cool (and challenging) stocking Ideas.
Can you do a betta sorority in a 20gal tall? I would heavily plant it and provide tons of caves and hiding spots. Any suggestions? Is this even a good idea? If not, any other ideas? Thanks!!
Usually a 20 long is best, but a 20 tall is ok. I think that you’ll want to have a backup plan in case it doesn’t work out, but it definitely could work as long as it’s heavily planted with lots of hides.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

I guess you could.

I'll be watching this. This was my original idea for my 20 gallon, but I turned out to be too much of a coward to try something so challenging. Wish you success!
Usually a 20 long is best, but a 20 tall is ok. I think that you’ll want to have a backup plan in case it doesn’t work out, but it definitely could work as long as it’s heavily planted with lots of hides.

Thanks! I haven't done much research on it yet, and am working with a low budget. Fishlore is one of the best places to start! I was thinking somehow raising some of the baby girls that they sell. Could I raise them together?
Do you know if you can have any other kinds of fish? Like a bn pleco? I have two in my 40gal and I love how clean they keep it.

Upvote 0

jkkgron2

Thanks! I haven't done much research on it yet, and am working with a low budget. Fishlore is one of the best places to start! I was thinking somehow raising some of the baby girls that they sell. Could I raise them together?
Do you know if you can have any other kinds of fish? Like a bn pleco? I have two in my 40gal and I love how clean they keep it.
Raising some juvenile female bettas would be a good idea. You could also look into getting some female bettas that are sisters so the chance of fighting is reduced. A BN pleco may not be the best option, bio load wise.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Raising some juvenile female bettas would be a good idea. You could also look into getting some female bettas that are sisters so the chance of fighting is reduced. A BN pleco may not be the best option, bio load wise.
Hmm that's interesting. The only pet store I have are petco and petsmart, so no guarantees on being able to find siblings. (But I do know people there )
I would buy them online, but the shipping and raised cost kills me haha.
I have to agree on the pleco. That's just another factor of this sensitive operation that could end in disaster. (sorry morget, you didn't pass fazing :cool
How many would I put in there? At least five I think. I wonder if it's better to add them slowly. I guess I should start researching!!

Upvote 0

AllAboutAngelfish

a 20 gal would be fine for 5 bettas

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I wonder if it's better to add them slowly. I guess I should start researching!!
It’s always best to add them all at once. That way they all have to establish territory around each other, instead of having one with an already established territory being mean to all of the others.

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

I think you'd be fine

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

I think it would work. Just heavily plant it. Real heavy. And try to have the sorority all sisters.

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

I think it would work. Just heavily plant it. Real heavy. And try to have the sorority all sisters.
I think you'd be fine
FishGirl115
Thanks everyone! Does anybody have suggestions on a low budget online store that has bettas I could buy, especially if I can get siblings. I don't really want to go to petco because they don't necessarily buy from great breeders, plus, I might not be able to get sisters. And any thick, heavy plant suggestions. anubias grows really well in my other tanks!

Upvote 0

BettasAreSuperior

Thanks everyone! Does anybody have suggestions on a low budget online store that has bettas I could buy, especially if I can get siblings. I don't really want to go to petco because they don't necessarily buy from great breeders, plus, I might not be able to get sisters. And any thick, heavy plant suggestions. anubias grows really well in my other tanks!
I think for plants Vallisneria and amazon frogbit would work well. Also, FishGirl115 , do you know where to get sister betta siblings since you have got them for your 29?

Upvote 0

ALonelyBetta

I just wanted to quickly add, some places that sell baby bettas, the gender is often not guaranteed. Its pretty hard to exactly determine the sex of a baby betta. So just a fair warning the baby “girls” have a good chance of ending up being baby boys. I’ve seen it happen first hand. So just be careful, otherwise good luck!

Upvote 0

BigManAquatics

I suppose you could. But personally, life creates enough stress so why go create it in your hobbies too? I mean, sororities can be pretty awesome once they all sort themselves out n all....

Upvote 0

StarGirl

FishGirl115 where did you get your sisters?

Upvote 0

Cowardlyslimeball

Do you have the link for him?
I just found him up on here, I'll keep that in mind. Does he sell bettas regularly?

Upvote 0

FishGirl115

I just found him up on here, I'll keep that in mind. Does he sell bettas regularly?
Whoops. Lol, wrong person. I get them mixed up since I was looking at both of their bettas. I actually got mine from Demeter. I don't think either of them are currently selling, but you'd have to ask

Upvote 0

Galactica555

Hi guys!
I wouldn't, not in a 20 tall, bettas prefer shallower water as well, and a long would provide much more space/hiding spots. A rule of thumb for betta sororitys is always an odd number to keep fighting to a minimum. For a 20,3 females could work. But again,IMO a long would be significantly better then a tall for any sort or setup with a betta

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

I wouldn't, not in a 20 tall, bettas prefer shallower water as well, and a long would provide much more space/hiding spots. A rule of thumb for betta sororitys is always an odd number to keep fighting to a minimum. For a 20,3 females could work. But again,IMO a long would be significantly better then a tall for any sort or setup with a betta
I would do 5, rather than 3. The more bettas, the more dispersed aggression becomes.

Upvote 0

Galactica555

I would do 5, rather than 3. The more bettas, the more dispersed aggression becomes.
Yes,that is true IMO a 20 is not big enough for 5 bettas though. I used to have a sorority and 3 was a nice fit.(long) Also depends on temperament of the specific specimens. more there are the less agression. Just personal preference and how you decorate I suppose.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

Yes,that is true IMO a 20 is not big enough for 5 bettas though. I used to have a sorority and 3 was a nice fit.(long) Also depends on temperament of the specific specimens. more there are the less agression. Just personal preference and how you decorate I suppose.
I think a 20 could work for 5 as long as there are plenty of plants and frequent water changes. I suppose it is a matter of opinion, though. And I definitely agree about the temperament.

Upvote 0

Roman96

I know most do sororities in 10 gallons, so a 20 high will still work. Yes, 20 long is better but I feel its still possible for a 20 high.

Upvote 0

Demeter

This is my current sorority aka holding tank. Three females are being kept for possible breeding, 2 females are kept to spread aggression and then there’s a male who still needs to be separated but I haven’t gotten around to it.
You must be registered to see images

There’s also 3 brevis and a few BN plecos I’m growing out, hence it being a holding tank too.

I’ve had plenty of sorority/growout tanks with bettas and the more you have the better off they all are. No less than 5 females and always be prepared to separate an overly aggressive female. I also think it is worth adding some dither fish to help distract the girls from each other.

Upvote 0

Kribensis27

This is my current sorority aka holding tank. Three females are being kept for possible breeding, 2 females are kept to spread aggression and then there’s a male who still needs to be separated but I haven’t gotten around to it.
You must be registered to see images

There’s also 3 brevis and a few BN plecos I’m growing out, hence it being a holding tank too.

I’ve had plenty of sorority/growout tanks with bettas and the more you have the better off they all are. No less than 5 females and always be prepared to separate an overly aggressive female. I also think it is worth adding some dither fish to help distract the girls from each other.
That's a cool looking tank. I used to have a girl that looked just like that black and white one to the right. Does the male not harass the females?

Upvote 0

Demeter

The male hasn’t started acting/looking like a male. He’s the white one facing head on. Once I separate him I’m sure he will start maturing but I’ll just leave him for now. I’m still deciding if I want to keep him for breeding or not. The female to the far left is the trouble maker, she’s a loner and a jerk to her sisters.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
  • Question
Replies
Views
AngelicDaydreams
Replies
Views