Betta sorority

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It would be fine, if it actually works out.
I generally would advise against betta sororities because they often don't work. So have a backup plan for all of the bettas if it doesn't work.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I say that'd be nice! Idk about shrimp, but that's a nice size for the bettas anyway. As long as all the bettas are female. Some could maybe get away with a male, but I wouldn't risk it.
Edit: For stocking ratios anyway. They also DO have to get along, like John and Queen mentioned.

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sometimes they just can't stand the sight of each other. Hence plan B if you have to split them up.

OP
Pahal4970

Pahal4970

Reaction score
So if they can't stand each other, which would be just my luck, would it be better instead if I got them as babies?

jake37

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yea if they grow up with each other it is more likely to work. Once they get old they get set in their ways.

AquaticQueen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Pahal4970 said:
So if they can't stand each other, which would be just my luck, would it be better instead if I got them as babies?
They would be less likely to hate each other if you get them as babies.

FeederGuppies

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Most pet stores that sell baby bettas don’t know what sex they are, so be careful about that. You might end up with a bunch of males.

NevermindIgnoreMe

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
FeederGuppies said:
Most pet stores that sell baby bettas don’t know what sex they are, so be careful about that. You might end up with a bunch of males.
Yeah your best bet would be buying from a breeder, like off ebay or local.

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Of the various sororities I've run over the years the most successful ones I've found have been when you get females that are all sisters from one clutch and grew up with each other so they are already used to each other. So going to local breeders or an online breeder who can send you siblings that grew up together is your best bet. I know some people want bettas in lots of colors in a soro5and sisters are usually all the same couple colors, but it's a trade off for getting girls that are more likely to play nice.
I ran a sorority with 20 sisters in it from the same breeding for several years. I ended up with 17 females in that tank because as they grew up and matured, there were three females that just could not stop being bullied and chasing other females. They each got to go live separately as solo bettas in other tanks. Be ready to move females in case this happens. Have other tanks ready that they can go to. If you don't have the ability to do that, don't try a sorority because it is no fun watching bettas rip each other apart when you have nowhere else to put them.

Over plant the ever living daylights out of the tank. Having line of sigh breaks is super important with bettas, because if a chase breaks out, its ended when the one being chased 'leaves' wherever the aggressor was claiming by disappearing behind a plant.
I use plants which grew quick and had plenty of vertical height since bettas enjoy hanging out in the upper levels. Jungle valisneria, amazon swords, anacharis, hornwort, java fern, temple plants are all good options. I do mean lots of plants, not just on two or three. I mean you should have a hard time seeing one end of the tank from the other in a straight line. It's important to break up fights, but also gives them more to explore, which is fun to watch and they like to sit on the larger leaves. Helps keep the water cleaner too.

OP
Pahal4970

Pahal4970

Reaction score
How do you buy them from philam? What’s the cost?

philam

Reaction score
Pahal4970 said:
How do you buy them from philam? What’s the cost?
When you reached 50 posts, send me a message and we can talk about it. And yes I still have females from my spawn left.

New Threads