Dismiss Notice
Hi there! You are currently viewing the forum as a guest. To log in, go here.

To become a member please register here.

Betta Sorority

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by CandyCane701, Apr 17, 2019.

1. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

I've debated on doing a betta sorority for over a year now. I finally went for it. All 10 females arrived today, and are now in my 75 gallon tank after being acclimated. The bettas are of all different types. I'm not even sure what some are. Part of me is wondering if they all really are females? How can I tell with bettas where even the males have short tail types what the gender is? I wish I would have taken pics while they were still in the bag. Lol

2. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Are they all young adults? If you bought them online you can take screen shots of the provided pics and post them here. I’m not always right on the gender but I’ve got plenty of experience. Look for the long pelvic fins, slimmer bodies and beards on males. Round bellies, egg spots, and shorter plevic fins on female.

3. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

The pics the seller had up were just for reference, not the actual fish. Here are some pics of one that I'm not too sure about. I can get more pics if needed.
    ETA: And yes, they all look to be on the younger side.
    20190417_122757.jpg20190417_140605.jpg20190417_140621.jpg

4. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Can't really tell from those photos but that kind of looks like a male to me. Can you see an egg spot? Is he/she flaring and trying to impress the other females? Does the fish have long ventral fins?

Also that doesn't look like a young betta to me

5. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

That one is one of the largest 2 out of everyone. Their sizes range quite a bit. This one has done more flaring than anyone else by far. Is this pic better? I haven't been able to see an egg spot yet. 20190417_142023.jpg

6. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Yea almost sure that's a male

7. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

Looks male to me too, but I know I've been wrong before.
    Also if you don't know, females do flare too, some people think only males flare when aggressive but my dominant ladies are very active with their fins and faces xD

I spy a baby platy! Cuutee! I want to see more of these bettas too!
    My lfs recently made a soroity with 7 girls in a micro 3 gallon or less. Angered me q uite a bit! Some of them seemed okay with each other, but not with the tight space. Oh how I wish I had a nice betta wall xD

Go you on such a big tank for a sorority!

8. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Yes, i am aware that females flare too but in my cases they mostly just flare to males, and when the fish flares we can be able to tell if its a male or female even more clearly

9. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

Yup that’s a male plakat. See how he does in the next few days, in a large enough tank a male or two can get along well enough with the females.

10. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Thanks! There's a bunch of platy fry in there right now. And oh my! I can't imagine that many bettas in such a small space! I've really been enjoying watching everyone establish their territories throughout the day. I'll post some random pics that I've taken.
    That's what I'm planning on doing. They all came in 2 bags, 5 in each. Everyone from his bag looks a little rough right now, and I could see him bullying during the acclimation. In the tank though he doesn't seem to be actively going after anyone so far. Just flaring and telling the others to get away from what I can see. If it seems like there's too much aggression I have other tanks that I can move him to.

11. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Here's some random pics of everyone. 20190417_121011.jpg20190417_121401.jpg20190417_121513.jpg20190417_121523.jpg20190417_122007.jpg20190417_122020.jpg20190417_140006.jpg20190417_122209.jpg20190417_140115.jpg20190417_150352.jpg20190417_121832.jpg

12. KoiBettasValued MemberMember

Could you post more pictures of the 5th betta starting from the top. He looks a little suspicious

13. DemeterFishlore VIPMember

There's another male plakat in there, he's missing a bit of tail fin but for sure a male.

14. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

@Demeter, this one? 20190417_151637.jpg20190417_151828.jpg20190417_151819.jpg

15. JellibeenWell Known MemberMember

@david1978 has a large tank with male and female bettas and can probably give some good advice. Pretty sure he ended up with the males in there by accident, too.

16. CrazycoryfishladyWell Known MemberMember

So pretty! Is that a platinum dragon in the last picture too? I love the ice blue, and the red white blue and black one!

17. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

Yep same size tank. 3 males and 16 females. Some nipping and chasing is normal. The occasional chase clear across the tank with the females. Just keep an eye out for over aggressive ones. Its been set up this way now for a little over 3 years so I can say it can be done.

18. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Thanks! I'm honestly not sure what any of them are. Lol.
    Thanks. I've seen you talk about your bettas on here before. Very cool. I'm not really worried about the accidental males. Did you add all of yours at once?

19. david1978Fishlore LegendMember

No. I actually only wanted a couple so I got 3 babies. It was a war zone. Added 2 more and it calmed some. The first male was one of those 5. Added 2 more and it was amazing how calm the tank became. That was over about a month and a half. Since then I have been adding and subtracting. I gave a few away just because someone else wanted it or traded for some plecos. I honestly haven't had aggression issues among the betta but they didn't like the swordtails so I had to re home them .

20. CandyCane701Well Known MemberMember

Yea, I was a little worried about my swordtails. One of the reasons I was debating on the sorority or not. I was more worried about the swords picking on the bettas because my male can be a real jerk sometimes, but the swords seem like they couldn't care less so far. I hope I don't jinx it, but everything seems to be going way better than I expected for the beginning.