Betta Sorority?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquarium Builds' started by sassymomma, Apr 12, 2017.

1. sassymomma

sassymommaWell Known MemberMember

So here's a question

Is a 38 bowfront too high for a betta tank? When the goldfish go home, I get to stock that puppy for my own viewing pleasure, and I love betta.

We'd be talking 20" tall, and 24" long, with a bow of 16"

I had thought I'd use my existing small fish to stock that tank, but they pretty much all died off on me, so I'm now looking at starting new- all that's in there is a BN pleco, who is used to living with my male betta at 78 degrees(right now the tank is 74 and has goldfish)

IF I were to consider this, what would I need to know, outside of standard betta care?
    Starting with:

Plant life- lts, but what types? swords? anubis?

Decore? I have in there a coconut cave and driftwood, everything else would need to be removed

Actual(realistic) chances of success

My source would be my local Big Als, who keep a tank of young females together quite often.

2. BottomDweller

BottomDwellerFishlore VIPMember

Not too high. It's the males with their heavy fins really that need short tanks.

Lots of plants. Most will work. You want ones that provide hiding places and break the lines of sight.

Again you want deco that will provide hiding places and break lines of sight.

You will almost definitely get some females that aren't suited to a sorority tank but if you remove these, have enough females to spread out aggression and give them loads of plants and hiding places you should be ok just make sure you have a back up plan for those bettas that don't work out.

3. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Big Als has a 10 day return policy on any fish that don't work out- even if it's just thtat they don't get along with existing stock. They'd have no problem swapping me out for a different girl. Or just taking back a healthy one that didn't work out.

Although, if it came to it, I could buy and split a tenG. to house her if I get attached :)

First thing will be to plant it- I only have some anubis att the moment, as the goldfish are swimming stomaches and even ate the hornwort eventually lol. It's growing well in the male betta's tank, so I can put more in there and start it in preparation.

IF I did this, I would probably use the Planted Vases plan that I'm using in the male's tank- that would give both cover, and beauty, while bringing the plants up closer to the top...and I can get another terranium for a "tree house"

4. Little Tank of Happiness

Little Tank of HappinessWell Known MemberMember

5. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

Perfect, those plant names are a great place to start

I know a few of them...kept wisteria until recently, and I have swords and Anubis. I have a couple of moss balls and some java fern and moss in another tank too

I saw dwarf sag at pet paridise

Need to look up the others

I have a "Brazilian sword " aka peace lily, my noob mistake lol in the male Betta tank. It's doing well and he loves it, but it does need its top above water so that won't work in the big tank. I'm keeping the male's water level low while it grows

6. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Sounds like a fun project! Keep at it, and its sure to be great!

7. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

I hope so :)

I have spent all winter thinking about what I want to do with my display tank after the goldfish go home

It's cycled, so that's out of the way. Though that might crash a bit when I remove 12inches of dirty fish and don't immediately replace them

I'm going to take a little while to establish plants and wait for big Als to get in a tank of siblings

8. Fanatic

FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Where are the goldfish going?

9. OP
    OP
    sassymomma

To their pond

They are from my dad's pond, and I offered to winter them because he was doing renovations this year

He brought me a 35gallon for them but since hubby bought me the 38, I moved them into that and gave the 35 back to dad. 3gallons isn't much, but anything is an improvement when you're that cramped lol

Plus.....lights, Plants and human contact because they are off the floor and in a permanent tank now

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice