Betta Sorority?... 29 Gallon Tank

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by AlexAlex, Dec 20, 2012.

1. A

AlexAlex Well Known Member Member

I have been doing some heavy research, planning ahead and have also in that time have grown to love Bettas.

I have read several websites (One being  ) about setting up "Betta Sororities". I have really wanted to do this for quite some time, but wanted to first read everything I could on the how's and if's of the scenario. I am currently cycling a 29 Long Gallon Fish Tank. I know that AqAdvisor isn't a complete proof source on the level of stocking, but can give a ballpark figuration. After messing with it for a while, this is what I have come up with:

3 Otos
    1 Brown Bristle Nose Pleco
    9 Female (No Males) Betta

I just want some opinions, suggestions and maybe some extra tips that I have not read.

Thank you in advance -

Alex :)

2. kb9plc

kb9plc Well Known Member Member

I personally cannot help you on this one. And I do know it's a heavily debatable subject.
    However I can recommend that you should chat with "Tigress Hill"..... she kept a sorority for a long time and can give you both good and bad personal experiences with the tank. :)

3. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

4. Y

Yeoy Well Known Member Member

I have seen a sorority tank set up very easily and successfully. Keep in mind it was heavily planted to jungle proportions also. It can be very hit and miss, like a lot of combinations. Just be aware that you wjll need to rehome them if it doesn't work.out.

5. OP
    OP
    A

I already have a "rehoming plan", if it goes "sour", so to speak. :)

6. OP
    OP
    A

I've read that post. With all due respect to anyone (especially Tigress), I have read how to replace the Alpha in the tank if that specific "ruler" dies. Trust me, I have read A LOT of threads, posts, websites, etc. I have thoroughly thought this out, made several preparations and have a plan B & C.

7. Y

I think you need enough territories is all. Some people are overly cautious about mixing fish, but a little bit of aggression is just natural. The one I saw had about as many Female Bettas as you have, and some corys for bottom feeders, but I am sure otos will be great too. Essentially, heavily planted the tank and put the corys in. Then acclimated all the girls at the same time, then just released them. Took a day or 2 for things to quiet down but no injuries. The tank is still running, with a male betta in there now too. (Not that I would suggest this)

8. monkeypie102

monkeypie102 Well Known Member Member

From what i know, because I was thinking of doing one a while back, you have to give them a few days to fight out the hiarchy(sp) but keep an eye on them just I case one gets beat more them the others.... also I don't remember if it is odd or even numbers required for a more successful sorority. Its best to add all females at the same time and i would add them after you add the other fish so they have a chance to get the lay of the land however will the otos and the pleco be nessecary? Seeing as they both do the same thing but the otos have a smaller bio-load (also I would bump Theo to school to 6 as mine were happier like that)

Other than super heavily planted talk with tigeress hill she should have way more info for you...

9. OP
    OP
    A

I don't want to chance it with a Male Betta. I think that's rocking the boat, depending on the aggression and the "personalities".

I have a lot of extra fake plants and some coves to set in the tank in different areas, so that will help keep some distraction to a minimal, hopefully.

10. Y

I agree with the male, just seems silly to me.

Do you know what sort of females you want? Any photos or anything yet?

I wouldn't put a BN in either, but that's only a personal choice. I don't think you could have any other mid-level swimmers with that many bettas.

11. OP
    OP
    A

Oto - I have had 3 for 4 months now and they have done wonderfully. And, they don't eat green algae, they eat brown algae. (The reasoning for the BN Pleco and the 3 Otos - I have minimal issues with both).

On the female Betta numbers - On everything I've read, it's odd, not even. :)

12. monkeypie102

May e its just my otos who eat the green algae as well :/ I don't own any plecos though, yet that
    is.

Also thanks for correcting the odd even thing... how would you replace the alpha female? (Now I am just curious I hope you don't see this as some kind of attck :D)

13. fishynoob

fishynoob Well Known Member Member

You seem to be pretty experienced then. You have a backup plan if all goes sour and I think if anyone was to get any success with this it would be someone who has done as much research and experience as yourself. I think it would be more down to the fish personalities. I hope it works out and I eagerly await updates on the progress!

14. OP
    OP
    A

Replacing the Female Alpha:

If the Female Alpha dies, then you take out all the fish when removing the dead female. Let them sit in a bucket (poured water from the aquarium they came from), plug in an extra water heater and set it in the bucket with the Bettas.

Leave them there while you re-arrange the whole tank. After re-arranging the tank (decor, plants, etc), then put all the remainder of females back into the tank at once. Test the water within 12-24 hours to make sure it hasn't spiked any toxins. If it hasn't, then you're all set again.

15. monkeypie102

So basically you are rearranging the tank but what do you do about the now even amount of females?

16. OP
    OP
    A

You start out with odd, but if it ends up being 8 or 10, etc, then that's fine. It just needs (ideally) to start out as an odd number, so the Alpha scenario can take place successfully (hopefully).

On top of that (even initially), you add only one female every 15-20 minutes into the sorority tank. This gives each one of them time to find their "home".

When you think about it, if you know about Mbunas, it's a similar scenario. With the aggression and the Alpha scenario. In my Mbuna tank, I can tell you down the line who rules and who is submissive. :)

17. monkeypie102

Ohhh that's so freaking cool!!! Lol i can't wait to see if you do this would be awesome to see :)

18. OP
    OP
    A

I'll have all the setup and ready to buy the Bettas here in about 3 to 4 days, hopefully. I seriously want to do this and attempt it.

I wouldn't even give it a thought if I didn't think I can truly be successful, or at least feel I could. I do think I'm experienced enough to try it at least. If it was back when I wasn't so experienced, I wouldn't even think about putting more than one Betta in any tank.

19. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

I see you're not going into this blind, and for that I am grateful. Contact me if you need any assistance down the road:)

20. OP
    OP
    A

At this point, the only thing I may need help with is how the decor should be set up, on a technical basis. Plants, hiding spots, etc.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice