40 Gallon Tank Betta Sorority - To Keep or Not To Keep?

ZMan1

I attempted a Betta Sorority more than a month ago with 5 bettas. On day one, the largest had to be rehoused so that left the sorority with four remaining. Just over this weekend, I noticed a crowntail had had a large slice of her analfin ripped off as she was hindered over in pain. I removed her immediately, however while she was away, the lone veiltail was being stalked and targeted and I moved her into a 20 gallon which houses some neon tetra and a single African dwarf frog. The veiltaill seems happier on there.

So I beg to ask, are the remaining three ok in the 40 gallon or should add two more? If so, i would acclimate then all over again. The problem is that if it does not work out, individually housing them would be quite difficult Please offer any advice.

BigManAquatics

Maybe try 7 instead or 9? More numbers to spread out the aggression. No matter how you slice it though, sororities really are like playing a game of Russian Roulette.

JettsPapa

I haven't tried a betta sorority, but I'm pretty sure that the fewer fish you have the less chance you have for it to work out. It's my understanding that betta sororities seldom work long term.

Do you have a good amount of plants to provide hiding places and sight breaks? If not, adding some might help

Linda1234

They seem to work best if you start with a bunch of young females and let them grow up together. The bunch doesn't have to be large; i had 3 for about a year that all got along. Also there are difference types of betta and some are more aggressive than others which makes a big difference with regards to chance of success.

Rose of Sharon

I think adding new, smaller bettas to an already existing sorority is going to be a challenge. It will probably take a lot of planning, and maybe some changes to the tank. From my research, and from what I have read from people with sororities who post here, it is best if they all come from the same spawn, or if they are all together when young and when introduced.

If you do add more, then a heavily planted tank is a must, if you want them to live. They really will need a place to hide from the more aggressive females.

There are a lot of youtube videos about sororities, too, if you care to look at them.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SouthAmericanCichlids
  • Question
Replies
Views
AngelicDaydreams
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies