Betta Sorority Tank.

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Cs10388, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Cs10388New MemberMember

Tips and tricks on starting a Betta Sorority tank? I have 4 in a 25G, upgrading very soon to a 29G.

2. FahnFishlore VIPMember

Never kept a sorority, but I would include lots of plants/decor to provide cover and break up lines of site. Females aren't usually as aggressive as males but there are occasional spats.

3. bubblegum-heartValued MemberMember

I agree with Fahn. If you could get more females, that might help with aggression too. (Not too many, just two or three. Though I've heard that sororities usually work out better with sisters because they were raised together, so they're less likely to fight.) The big thing is to make sure that there's lots of hiding places and you should be good. There's a few really good threads on keeping a betta sorority here, so you could check those out too! They're in the betta section.

4. clk89Fishlore VIPMember

You usually need at least seven female bettas, in heavily planted twenty gallon or bigger tank. They can be complicated, and need lots of hiding places. I haven't really seen one be completely successful for more then a year so I don't recommend for beginners.

5. Samantha100113New MemberMember

You may also want to be prepared if any females cannot go into a community tank. It depends on the fishes personality. I have 2 females who I can't put with any other fish. Even with the tank filled with hiding spots, these two seemed to make it their mission to look for and attack the other fish.
    Also to make sure all the females are around the same size. The smaller ones will get bullied around. You could check a fishes ability to go into a community tank by placing the bettas next to eachother in the store. Usually the ones who react less are the less aggressive ones.

6. Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

With a Betta Fish sorority, it will either be a success, or a failure. Each betta should have around 2 gallons to themselves. 5+ is highly recommended. The general rule for a betta sorority is it needs to be so heavily planted that you cannot see the back of the aquarium glass. Females are just as aggressive as males. I agree with what @bubblegum-heart said, sororities have a higher chance of being successful if the females were raised with one another or are sisters. If you're going to your local pet store, try to get female that have been placed next to once another, as they are used to each other and have a higher chance at getting along with one another, rather than females who have never seen one another. Agreeing with @Samantha100113 , you should definitely try to get females around the same size, as the smaller ones are more vulnerable. Also, make sure you have a couple extra tanks on hand, incase things go back and some girls need to be removed.

7. Cs10388New MemberMember

Good info I did not know before hand. So far so good, not much fighting at all so far. They're all the same size. There was a little showing off with two of them at first for like 5 minutes, but that was it. I'll continue to watch them. My tank is not planted as I kept killing all the plants, so I gave up, didn't like it much. I have a ton of driftwood that has tons of hiding spots, they're always in there somewhere exploring. Might add some fake greenery soon though.

8. Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

Try some silk plants. Petco has a ton of silk plant packs for a good price! They're pretty large as well.