Betta Sorority Overstocked???

Goldiemom
I had stocked my sorority with 9 beautiful betta ladies. Luckily, only 1 torn fin through the process. I read 8 to 10 bettas for a 20G long. I decided to go with 10. However, My last betta that I ordered showed up with a free extra betta from seller. Nice of him but not part of the plans. That makes 11 instead of my planned 10. I know fish can’t count but will they be ok? So far, with exception of some periodic chasing off, everyone seems fine. They all eat together peacefully. Opinions, please.

phoensunfire
Should be fine. What does your filtration look like? Do you have lots of tall plants that break up sight lines? Bettas are surface fish so they need to establish territories at the top of the tank, the more plants you have breaking that up the better. Also lots of plants make for a healthier tank over all and help your filtration.

AltzercrastFish
I think 11 bettas in a 20 gallon is pushing it. If you had ten like you planned then theoretically each betta would have 2 gallons. But I guess they are doing fine. Moniter them closey to understand their pecking order and for any bettas getting upset or picked on.

phoensunfire
I think 11 bettas in a 20 gallon is pushing it. If you had ten like you planned then theoretically each betta would have 2 gallons. But I guess they are doing fine. Moniter them closey to understand their pecking order and for any bettas getting upset or picked on.
I agree there, it's a lot and there might be some bullying. You might want to get another 5 or 10 gallon ready to move one of your girls over. I was just thinking about water quality, I didn't even think of bullying,

Goldiemom
Thanks, everyone. The filtration is fine. Handles up to 40 G’s. I have lots of plants and caves. Just wish I hadn’t got the free fish...lol. I had my plans and one fish threw it off.

phoensunfire
Thanks, everyone. The filtration is fine. Handles up to 40 G’s. I have lots of plants and caves. Just wish I hadn’t got the free fish...lol. I had my plans and one fish threw it off.
Oh well, I'd make another betta tank and give it to the free one!

AltzercrastFish
Sounds good! Keep watch, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Goldiemom
Oh well, I'd make another betta tank and give it to the free one!
Doesn't even sound fun at this point. I already have 6 tanks and a pond going. Two tanks are big boys too. No more, please!!! Lol

phoensunfire
Doesn't even sound fun at this point. I already have 6 tanks and a pond going. Two tanks are big boys too. No more, please!!! Lol
Friend who wants a betta?

Goldiemom
I can always take to my LFS and have her put it up for adoption, I guess.

NYFishGuy
Can you post a pic?
I thought with any betta sorority you should be prepared to move any fish that have problems.
I would just keep an eye on them

Goldiemom
I never said I wasn’t prepared. What are you talking about? I’m worried about stocking, not having a fighting issue. I keep extra cycled media in all 6 of my tanks and can pull a QT tank out in 5 minutes if I needed to.

Goldiemom
Here’s the pic you requested.

Attachments

• E5C0612A-3D3F-4FBF-8BB9-FA539B8F17E2.jpeg
    E5C0612A-3D3F-4FBF-8BB9-FA539B8F17E2.jpeg
    71.6 KB · Views: 101
Goldiemom
Would really appreciate feedback from someone with betta sorority experience. Please pass this on to anyone you may know with such experience, Gang. Thanks so much for the help!

FishFor2018
I had 6 betta’s in a 10 gallon and they all did fine and settled after a week, I think your fine if anything it’s better since the aggression is spread out more. As long as there are enough plants and hiding spots you tank will thrive

FishFor2018
Here’s the pic you requested.
I would add a couple more plants in the front

Goldiemom
I would add a couple more plants in the front
Appreciate the feedback. Will go get a couple more.

CanadianFishFan
Ive heard people doing up to 12 in them :/

Goldiemom
Iverg1
Here you go Goldie! david1978 luckdown

david1978
A 20 long has a really good foot print. I wouldn't be scared to try 11 .

Kysarkel000
I have 4 in a community 20 gallon tall tank. I started out with hardly any plants and a big tall Terra cotta pot in the middle. I didn't have any issues.

That being said, they definitely feel more comfortable with floating plants (I recommend ludwigia), and more plants over all. I also added a larger, more spread out decoration of a tree.

Bettas don't produce that much waste, and the extra betta should be fine. Don't sweat it, if you've got Goldies, you can handle bettas no problem!

I wish breeders wouldn't send extra fish, or at least make an option for you to opt out of extra fish. It's a nice gesture, especially because fish pass easily in transit, but when everyone survives, then it's an issue.

Good luck with your betta tank!

received_1690559357732388.jpeg

IHaveADogToo
Goldiemom I personally think that, for a betta sorority, if you overcrowd the tank, it can work in your favor as far as spreading out aggression goes. It works in fish stores when they put a bunch of rainbow sharks in a display tank together, and I believe it can work for a betta sorority too. As long as you overfiltrate, which it seems like you are.

My concern, however, is that this is a high-stress environment. And I think I just learned the hard way what happens when you put a bunch of stressed out bettas in a tank together. So I feel like I should be reluctant to advocate for you to overcrowd your sorority tank. A month ago I would have given you my blessing to overcrowd.

Goldiemom
Goldiemom I personally think that, for a betta sorority, if you overcrowd the tank, it can work in your favor as far as spreading out aggression goes. It works in fish stores when they put a bunch of rainbow sharks in a display tank together, and I believe it can work for a betta sorority too. As long as you overfiltrate, which it seems like you are.

My concern, however, is that this is a high-stress environment. And I think I just learned the hard way what happens when you put a bunch of stressed out bettas in a tank together. So I feel like I should be reluctant to advocate for you to overcrowd your sorority tank. A month ago I would have given you my blessing to overcrowd.
I understand your issues. I actually gave the extra fish to someone else so now I’m within appropriate stocking level. Holding my breath to see how it goes. So far so good. Best of luck to you!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
BettaNgold
Replies
Views
ajoyfulbettta
Replies
Views
Ed204
2 3
Replies