Betta Sorority Journey!

plantgirl04

I just started my dream tank. A Betta Sorority! I have been researching and learning as much as possible on how to keep a healthy, successful sorority for a while now.

About six weeks ago I hardscaped and started a fishless cycle with some plants. Would have like to start with all plants but wasn't sure the look I was going for.

Week 1 - Starting Plants
Nomaphila Stricta (Siamensis) - Transferred from another tank
Hydrocotyle Tripartita ‘Japan - Transferred from another tank and added live culture pieces to make it bigger
Blyxa Japonica - Constantly trimmed to help with melt, roots taking place finally
Exotic Vesuvius Aquarium Sword Plant - Took off no problems
Cryptocoryne Spiralis - Cut off long leaves to help prevent melt, as well as any others that started to look bad
Gratiola Viscidula Tropica - Decent amount of melt trimmed to help leaves at the bottom
Bacopa Salzmannii 'Purple' - First round melted away, trying again with a new planting method

Week 3 - Second Plant Additions
Ammania sp. 'Bonsai' - Lost a piece in transit and another one due to a shadow from a rock
Bacopa Salzmannii 'Purple' (floating at the top in containers with the substrate, to help minimize melt)
Bucephalandra sp. “Dark Blue” - Starting a little leaf yellowing/melt not sure best course of action

Week 4 - Added Livestock
  • 5 Olive Horned Nitrate Snails
  • 3 Vampire Shrimp (2 females, 1 male)
Week 5 - Added Livestock
Week 6 - Added Livestock
  • 7 Female Galaxy Koi Bettas
Week 6/7 - Plants waiting to place/plant
Staurogyne Repens
Dwarf Water Lettuce
Salvinia Minima

Attachments

• Sorority Tank Front .jpg
    Sorority Tank Front .jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 52
  • Sorority Tank Side.jpg
    Sorority Tank Side.jpg
    273.3 KB · Views: 51

Rose of Sharon

Nice looking tank! How many gallons?

I would be very interested in your progress. If you don't mind, and if you could update this thread as far as your progress, would really appreciate it!

Following!

plantgirl04

It is an Innovative Marine 30l tank and absolutely.

I can not wait to share the progress of the tank!

Magnolia35

Wow, I love the scape. I’d love a sorority myself one day but I think I’m far too new to risk it right now- would love to see updates on how this is going in the future!

plantgirl04

To Update!

I have since added some Orange Venezuelan Coredoryas, removed the vampire shrimp, and added a TON of plants. All of the girls are loving the floaters and spend most of their time playing on the surface leaves.

The floating mixture of plants and roots saved the sorority, without it the girls would have been far too aggressive with each other. This breaks up their line sight and top swimming path. All the girls have been healthy and tail nips from the introduction have been growing back nicely.
IMG_1511.jpg

betta06

To Update!

I have since added some Orange Venezuelan Coredoryas, removed the vampire shrimp, and added a TON of plants. All of the girls are loving the floaters and spend most of their time playing on the surface leaves.

The floating mixture of plants and roots saved the sorority, without it the girls would have been far too aggressive with each other. This breaks up their line sight and top swimming path. All the girls have been healthy and tail nips from the introduction have been growing back nicely.
IMG_1511.jpg
wow the plants look awesome! this would be a dream tank for me lol.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
ClarkJ
  • Question
Replies
Views
AngelicDaydreams