Betta Sorority Help

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Y'all I messed up and bought four female bettas

Anyone have a rundown or an artical on betta sororities?

It's a 20 high

jamisonkp

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've been doing a lot of research on the sororities because I really want one but I can't do one right now, because I have a 10 gallon and 20+ is ideal. But you want your tank to be heavily planted so they have places to hide. And when you add them to the tank - if you haven't yet - you want to put them all in around the same time so one does not get established first. Then from what I've read they will likely be figuring out their hierarchy, but if the fighting gets too bad the ones who are fighting should be taken out and given a break then the tank rearranged (the plants and things) then they can be reintroduced again. From there I think you watch them closely and if their fighting gets bad they may have to be permanently separated, so it's good to have other tanks for them.

How'd you accidentally buy four females?
I've never had a sorority all this information is just from all the articles and things I've been reading. I think they're also more likely to pick on each other if they're the same color, but if you already have them then that can't be changed now. I think that it's very important to watch them and know when to separate them.

ShadowKittyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm pretty sure that you need an odd amount of bettas. That's all I have, I'm not too experienced with fish.

Fish-whisper

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Do you have live plants ? You need lots of plants so the bettas can stake their territory. How long have the bettas been in the tank ? What problem are you having ?

Katkatt

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks to all the help y'all. It was more of a "I can't leave them here they'll die" kinda thing because the store was staying that the females weren't selling and they were just gonna flush some of them down the toilet (I WAS SO ANGRY SERIOUSLY) but yeah it's a heavily planted tank, lots of hiding spots. I put them in last night and so far there hasn't been much fighting besides the picking at each other during feeding.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It really doesnt matter if you have an odd or even amount. Fish cant count. Lol. Glad to see with only four they aren't fighting. It seems that the more of them the less they fight so i would add 1-2 more. Later on i found adding the smaller females or baby girls the best. That way they dont fight with the leader. I have 1 male (bought as baby girl) and 11 girls together its funny how they interact.

ShadowKittyCat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
conniedavid1978 said:
It really doesnt matter if you have an odd or even amount. Fish cant count. Lol. Glad to see with only four they aren't fighting. It seems that the more of them the less they fight so i would add 1-2 more. Later on i found adding the smaller females or baby girls the best. That way they dont fight with the leader. I have 1 male (bought as baby girl) and 11 girls together its funny how they interact.
I believe having odd numbers is something to do with a pecking order of sorts, unless I'm remembering wrong.

Gar2188

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've read that 3 is the minimum for a sorority, so you're good with 4. Also if you ever do add more I'd be careful since I've heard you shouldn't really add more betta to an established sorority. But anyways good luck!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom