Betta sorority aggression

Laila27

My betta sorority recently recovered from ich and has been in the tank together for a few days now. They haven’t shown any aggression towards each other within those days. Today their colors were bright and really showing and there was still zero aggression. I left for 3-4 hours and I come back to the number 1 betta hiding behind the filter with fins torn and the colors of my koi and red betta are dull and all of them (5) are swimming on the bottom when they usually swim up top. I checked the water parameters and they haven’t changed. There was literally nothing that was changed. Im so lost on what happened or might’ve happened. On me red betta with torn fins it doesn’t look like nips they look like there was something that tore it because the middle of the fins were torn not the edges. When I came home there was still no aggression towards one another. They just seem to be swimming around each other without doing anything. Please help im trying to understand to try to fix this. Ive had this sorority for a month now. They showed slight aggression in the beginning of the sorority but after 2-3 days they just coexisted.

MoshJosh

What's the tank size? décor/plants? type of filtration? Water parameters?

Laila27

20 gallon. It has about 10-15 large anubias plants not sure the specific ones. Sponge filter. And hold on with the water parameters i have to redo the strip.
70°
0 amonia
0 nitrite
15 nitrate
Ph 6.5
Sorry 79°
I usually do 25% water changes weekly but I’ve been having to do 50% water changes the past week or so because i was treating for ich
What's the tank size? décor/plants? type of filtration? Water parameters?

JustAFishServant

TBH I never suggest betta sororities. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Females can be just as mean or more in my 7 years of experience. I feel like they're a bragging rights kinda thing rather than actually keeping them happy and healthy. "I have more than 1 betta in the same tank!"

Years ago I had a 20 Tall with four girls, one was so aggressive I named her Aela the Huntress (fellow Skyrim fans will get it). She lived on to destroy in her 29 for the next 6 years. The three others got along but I was constantly on edge worried that one day, they'd turn on each other. It's more of a 'when' than an 'if'. They WILL whether it's a day or years from now and anything can trigger it. One dies? Decor moved? You transferred them? Heck, even a new type of food can trigger aggression. I don't think it's worth it. Sadly, most people only see males as being showy and females as just another fish to throw into a tank. It sucks since every girl I've had was more active, sassy and had a more defined personality. Maybe I'm biased since my first was the best, a female, plus I'm a dude. IDK, I just think females are betta (get the pun?)...agh, my blood sugar's low XD

ProudPapa

TBH I never suggest betta sororities. It's a disaster waiting to happen. Females can be just as mean or more in my 7 years of experience. I feel like they're a bragging rights kinda thing rather than actually keeping them happy and healthy. "I have more than 1 betta in the same tank!"

Years ago I had a 20 Tall with four girls, one was so aggressive I named her Aela the Huntress (fellow Skyrim fans will get it). She lived on to destroy in her 29 for the next 6 years. The three others got along but I was constantly on edge worried that one day, they'd turn on each other. It's more of a 'when' than an 'if'. They WILL whether it's a day or years from now and anything can trigger it. One dies? Decor moved? You transferred them? Heck, even a new type of food can trigger aggression. I don't think it's worth it. Sadly, most people only see males as being showy and females as just another fish to throw into a tank. It sucks since every girl I've had was more active, sassy and had a more defined personality. Maybe I'm biased since my first was the best, a female, plus I'm a dude. IDK, I just think females are betta (get the pun?)...agh, my blood sugar's low XD

I was watching a video a while back and Cory said he'd rarely, if ever, seen a betta sorority work long-term. That's good enough for me (not that I was going to try one anyway).

Laila27

I guess i was just waiting for this to happen because I knew that they were still aggressive. I wanted a betta sorority because i love the different colors and patterns they could have. I remember changing only one thing now. I gave them freeze dried blood worms that day. Do yall think that may have factored in or its just bound to happen type of things. Now I kind of feel bad that i put these bettas through that. I put in the research for the sororities, and i would look for the least aggressive ones at the petstore. I don’t know what to do now because i have a spare containers to quarantine them, but not enough room to live forever.

RayClem

You state that your betta soriority has been together about a month and they recently recovered from ich. Because the life-cycle of ich parasites is about one month, it is highly unlikely that the parasites have been eradicated from your tank. Ich treatment should normally be continued for a period of six weeks to insure all parasites are gone.

Many new fishkeepers who encounter ich for the first time think the fish are "cured" when the white spots disappear. Nothing can be further from the truth. The white spots are cysts in which baby parasites called tormites develop. When the cysts "hatch" hundreds of tormites are released into the aquarium. While the cysts are present, no medication can touch the parasites. The cysts act a armor to protect them. Once the tormites are released into the water, only then can the ich medication kill the parasites. However, many people think the fish are cured when the cysts rupture and they stop the treatment program. That is a big mistake as the tomites will go through their life cycle and reinfect the fish a few weeks later.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Debbie1986
Replies
Views
Goldiemom
  • Poll
Replies
Views
LaiidyxxRiiOdeTT