Betta skin erosion?

MrCoryCats
So My third betta Elmo has been hiding in a verrry dark spot so dark I need a flashlight to see in.
but his skin is like coming off and floating in my tank.Also will this dead skin go away or will it stay there. I also should point out I am cycling my tank and I almost have saved enough for a test kit.

Fishoholic23
can you post a picture?

clk89
If his scales are coming off, it's not dead skin it's his scales, then there a few possibilities. Could be an injury. Could be parasites and he is rubbing/itching the scales off of something. Could also be a form of body rot.

If it's internal parasites then that would to be treated with medicine such as prazI pro. A very clean, cycled tank kind of helps with all three of those.

Annie424
That does not sound good at all, I'm sorry to say. Scales should not be falling off and floating around, that he's hiding coupled with you noticing this is concerning. When was your last water change, what kind of schedule are you on with them for your fish-in cycle, what sized tank, and how long have you been cycling the tank? What process are you using to cycle? What kind of filtration do you have and what is the tank temp? I know you don't have your water quality readings due to not having a test kit, but those will provide really important information. How soon can you get an API Master Test Kit? If you can at all borrow the missing funds and get one sooner rather than later that would be a good idea if you could swing it. Without more info or a photo, I'm wondering if your ammonia or nitrite levels are too high. Can you better describe what you mean by 'his skin is coming off and floating around the tank'?

MrCoryCats
Ok I do water changes every three days.Are water changes ok for cycling a tank or should I not do that. Also my last one was 4 days ago.It is a 10 gallon.For 3 weeks.And I am not using any TSS or anything just my flter and an ammonia source (I also have a large mystery snail in there and he is fine and healthy.)I have an aqua tech 5-15 and My tank temp is 72-78 F.I have to work for money and I can get one next saturday. Ok I mean first he had a smallk bump on his back kinda and Soon it turned red (He is a red betta) and what looked like part of his scales or body came off and settled and now floats around from time to time.Now it looks like new skin is growing back.So I didn't worry about it.Then he lost one of his ventral fins and a chunk of his analfin.I thought maybe he would be fine THEN A bump formed under his top fin and part of that flew off and then the skin did the same thing as the first yet now the thing has started going down from that top fin to the side of his body now.

Annie424
What is your added ammonia source? Your betta and whatever uneaten food in the tank would be the source of ammonia with a fish-in cycle. Are you by chance adding straight ammonia as well?

MrCoryCats
What is your added ammonia source? Your betta and whatever uneaten food in the tank would be the source of ammonia with a fish-in cycle. Are you by chance adding straight ammonia as well?

No I'm just using my fish

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
F1sh
Replies
Views
Bettatude
Replies
Views
Skye_marilyn
Replies