Betta Sits At Bottom Of Tank All Day And Stopped Eating.

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I first got him he was a little shy and then after 2 days he started swimming around exploring everything. Now a few weeks later he just sits at the tank all day and hasnt eaten. Just spits his food out.

Water results
Ph - 6.6
Ammonia - 0.50ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
Nitrate - 0ppm

This is a fish cycle, I know this is baf but didnt at the time when I got him. Please offer any advice if you have any on why he doesn't swim around. Thanks.

Oliver T.

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
what food do you feed him? how big are the pieces of food? sometimes I feed my betta and he spits out his food because he trying to break it down into smaller pieces

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
it could be the parameters since its a fish in cycle. although what do you feed him? sometimes they spit food out to make it smaller if its too big or will spit it out if they don't like it. can you take a pic of him?

OP
Darkroom Bat

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I feed him this
e4ea528defdc59ddb7dfba55a189a68d.jpg

Before the last few days he hasnt had an issue with it, normally he breaks them in half and then eats them. Now he just doesn't seem interested and sits under a fake silk plant all day.
I have has the tank running since the 8th of November.

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
How big is the tank?

Just a betta in it, right? You shouldn't be getting an ammonia reading unless you're really overfeeding him.
Also, you need a better food.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I have no idea what that food is or if its meant for bettas so I can't comment on it lol.
junebug its a fish in cycle, although it could be the ammonia causing the betta to not be interested or hungry

OP
Darkroom Bat

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
His in a 32L tank filtered and heated by himself. Its food for betta's.
I only feed him 2 pieces a day and until recently he eats it in seconds. His fins are also really torn.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Darkroom Bat said:
His in a 32L tank filtered and heated by himself. Its food for betta's.
I only feed him 2 pieces a day and until recently he eats it in seconds. His fins are also really torn.
whats the temp? is there any sharp objects in the tank?

OP
Darkroom Bat

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The temp is currently sitting at 24 degrees heater is on, and set for 26. No, nothing sharp only have silk plants and his house I filled down first. I took it out at the moment as he kept sitting in it all day

OP
Darkroom Bat

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ill try and get him to swim

junebug

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
JamieXPXP said:
I have no idea what that food is or if its meant for bettas so I can't comment on it lol.
junebug its a fish in cycle, although it could be the ammonia causing the betta to not be interested or hungry
I know, but 32 liters is 8.5 gallons. There should not be an ammonia reading with just a betta in there. I never get ammonia in my betta tanks, as long as they are three gallons or up.

The ammonia is almost certainly the cause of the issue, but figuring out why there is ammonia in such a large tank with just one fish with a tiny bioload is something that needs to happen.

I suggest a water change ASAP, like 50% . Test the tap water for ammonia as well.

AZrodeo92

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Bettas tend to like a lot of variety in their food. I mix the Tetra tropical flakes yes, Omega color flakes, and the minI betta pellets. Sometimes I alternate doing a different one each feeding and sometimes I do two or three of them together since my other fish also eat the same food

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
junebug said:
I know, but 32 liters is 8.5 gallons. There should not be an ammonia reading with just a betta in there. I never get ammonia in my betta tanks, as long as they are three gallons or up.

The ammonia is almost certainly the cause of the issue, but figuring out why there is ammonia in such a large tank with just one fish with a tiny bioload is something that needs to happen.

I suggest a water change ASAP, like 50% . Test the tap water for ammonia as well.
maybe they are using something else for ammonia for the cycle, possibly food? although it is quite hard to get a lot of it from bettas since they have a small bioload.
a water change will definitely help out since it should be done daily for a fish in cycle

OP
Darkroom Bat

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok ill get him something different tonight after work.
I'm aware there is an issue ots why I'm asking for help. I did a 25 % water change yesterday and will do a 50 tonight. Is there anything else I should grab from the store while I'm there?

It was hard to get a pic buts here is what his fins are looking like.
740e93b12a8c28f40180ce80a092763e.jpg

I really am trying to do the right thing for him...

Kamaile

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
First off, get your ammonia levels down. But I think finding what's tearing his fins will be huge, too. Is he getting them caught in the filter? Are there sharp parts on your decorations or fake plants? I've found that a lot of aquarium decorations have sharp parts on the insides, where fish hide.

OP
Darkroom Bat

Darkroom Bat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
JamieXPXP said:
maybe they are using something else for ammonia for the cycle, possibly food? although it is quite hard to get a lot of it from bettas since they have a small bioload.
a water change will definitely help out since it should be done daily for a fish in cycle
When I set up the tank the store gave me some medium from their tank to establish good bacteria.

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
its fine its not as easy as people think it is. can you describe the fins for me? I have really bad eyes so its a little hard for me to see

JamieXPXP

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Darkroom Bat said:
When I set up the tank the store gave me some medium from their tank to establish good bacteria.
ah ok. lucky :/ my store won't such things lol

New Threads