Betta Sick?

1. P

Polly Li New Member Member

Hi everyone,

I'm a new betta fish owner for about 3 my months now. However, I did not know Bettas will jump out. So this morning I realized betta was not in his tank, and was actually lying lifeless on the floor :'( I immediately put him back in his tank and he swam a bit.

But his conditions are getting worse. I realized this incident in the morning so I'm not exactly sure what time he jumped out.

His symptoms include:
    1) tail is shriveled up and not expanding
    2) starting to swim sideways and breathing very heavily

Just wondering what I can do to help my poor guy :(?!

2. OP
    OP
    P

Polly Li New Member Member

Hi everyone,

My Betta jumped out of his tank and I'm not sure what I can do!!

His symptoms right now are:
    1) fin is shriveled up
    2) breathing heavily
    3) starting to swim sideways

Any suggestions are welcomed:(

3. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

Super clean warm water. Do you have a heater in his tank? How big is his tank? Unfortunately time is the biggest factor and we have no clue. So many variables. How far did he fall? How dried was his skin and scales? Gills? Can you post pics? Please? I’m calling on eyes now. @Skye_marilyn i have another betta will need eyes on. Please?

4. InsanityShard

InsanityShard Well Known Member Member

What made him jump? That needs to be found out so he won't try again. People may say they just jump, but they usually only jump when something's wrong. He may be okay. Did you wash him before putting him back in, and what did he land on? You also need to check the tank parameters, though I've had mine jump just because a powerful storm was nearby and the atmospheric change scared him.

5. Skye_marilyn

Skye_marilyn Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a case of shock from falling and a damaged slime coat. As you know gills are sensitive and can easily be damaged if they get dried out, they also have that sensitive slime coat and whenever something scrapes it off that is like having your skin ripped off allowing all the bacteria and nasties that you can normally fight off to attack an already stressed fish.

Keep the water warm, keep the tank aerated, add IAL to reduce stress, and I also implore you to purchase RES-Q which is a preventative mild medicated water conditioner http://www.google/Aquatronics.html#resq
    And medicated wonder shells as a stronger preventative if he gets worse http://www.google/MedicatedWonderShell.html#medicated

Possibly get some methylene blue as it has a soothing effect and helps with bacteria (the medicated wonder shells contain this). Keep the lights dim, possibly cover the tank with a towel and feed him frozen foods. Do lots of water changes and gravel vac well to reduce bad bacteria count. He should be fine if you take these preventive measures so he doesn’t develop a serious bacterial infection.

6. Skye_marilyn

Good thinking, we should definitely try to find the source of the issue as well to prevent it in the future.

7. Gypsy13

Gypsy13 Well Known Member Member

I was hoping for a pic since we don’t know exactly how dried out the little guy became. I’m sending you heartache tonight. I’m sorry. I need eyes though. Yours are awesome. Thank you.

8. Skye_marilyn

Thank you for alerting me in these situations, I appreciate that :)

9. Bry

Bry Valued Member Member

I've only ever known Bettas to jump if they don't like their water conditions. What size tank is he in? Filter? Heater? Tap Water Dechlorinater?
    For now the best thing to do is lid the tank and try to get him to eat. Do a 25% water change to make sure the water is of good quality. He isn't sick as much as almost died. Unfortunately, since we don't know how long he was out, we don't know how permanently this will affect him....

10. Cheesewoman

Cheesewoman Valued Member Member

oh gosh! I'm sorry to hear that - I would always get a hooded/lidded tank just in case this happens, fish are livelier than we think sometimes ;)

What is your tank setup (i.e. filtration, temperature, planted, substrate etc.)?

Also have you checked your water parameters? It says on your profile that you don't know what the Nitrogen Cycle is, which is a bit worrying. The levels of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate need be monitored every week, and even more frequently in a new tank, as these can make your fish very sick and even cause death.

I would perform a 25% water change for the little guy anyway, make sure you use dechlorinator in the new water.

I hope he feels better soon...:)