Betta Sick

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by adamsbaa, Apr 15, 2018.

1. a

adamsbaa New Member Member

IMG_20180415_121549.jpg So 6 months ago I got a betta from the pet store and put him in a 2.5 gallon tank. He gets one to two frozen blood worms a day, and is usually really active. Ever since the day I got him, he has these weird bloated poops, but it hasn't been any trouble so I thought it could be ignored. MVIMG_20180415_121534.jpg About a week or so ago, he started getting really sluggish and losing color, and now he is floating between the filter and tank wall half side ways and is kind of bloated. He came out two nights ago to eat, and he was struggling a lot to stay upright. He also tried to come out this morning to say hello, but he was struggling a lot and gave up. Is this him being over fed? Is there any way to help him, or is it too late? He moved when I took the pictures, so I'm sure he isn't already dead as of the time this is being posted.

2. Demeter

Demeter Fishlore VIP Member

All you've been feeding him is blood worms?

Bettas love frozen foods, but they must be fed sparingly. Blood worms are one food that can cause issues if fed too much, one of those problems being bloat. You need to get him on a pellet food specific for bettas. I'd fast him for a couple days first, then try getting him to eat the pellets.

3. OP
    OP
    a

Oh really? Thank you for the advice, hopefully that will help some

4. Demeter

Twice a week is all I would feed frozen foods. Feeding about 4 pellets a day is what the average betta would need. Some pellets are larger/smaller than others though. The main reason fish should have a prepared food is because it has all the essential nutrients that frozen/live foods do not have.

Forgot to ask in my first reply, what are his water parameters (temp, nitrite, nitrate, ammonia)? How often do have change the water and how much each time?

5. OP
    OP
    a

Ok. If he survives this, I'll keep that in mind.
    I know his water temp is 79 and I do about 25-35 percent change every week, but I'm afraid I don't have the nitrite, nitrate, or ammonia, sorry.

6. Demeter

So long as you're doing weekly water changes and keeping him at a good temp then that'll do. It wouldn't hurt to do a few extra water changes to see if that perks him up, fresh water is a great fishy first aid.

7. OP
    OP
    a

That sounds like a good idea, but should I wait a bit or do it right away? Would it stress him out too much right now?
    Thank you for all the help

8. Demeter

Whenever problems crop up with fish the best thing to do is a water change, so I'd do it ASAP.

9. OP
    OP
    a

Ok, thank you.

10. Fanatic

Fanatic Fishlore VIP Member

Is this tank cycled?

11. Iverg1

Iverg1 Well Known Member Member

I would feed him a pea

12. OP
    OP
    a

It was given to me with another, older fish about a year ago by someone who was moving, and after that fish passed (he was old), it had two-ish weeks where nobody was in it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice