Betta sick with ich? what do I do?

Kelcili

Hello! I am very new to the fishkeeping hobby, and my betta Kelcili (kiki) looks very sick with large white spots on his body and a very torn tail. I don't have aquarium salt or any medication except for bettafix, so I'm wondering if there is a way to treat him without those.

I raised the water temp to 80-82 degrees but that's all I've done. 5-gallon tank. Not 0ppm ammonia exactly, but definitely less than 0.10 and I don't have a Ph test kit yet.

Attachments

• IMG_6903.jpg
    IMG_6903.jpg
    129 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6902.jpg
    IMG_6902.jpg
    109.3 KB · Views: 17

SparkyJones

Doesn't look like Ich or tail rot to me, looks like ammonia burn damage in my opinion.
Really regular water changes. keep the water as fresh and as clean as you can. I dont' know the size of the tank, but probably a daily 50% change for the first week and then maybe 25% change after that and see how it goes.

if it were ich you'd see it on the tail and side fins also. All I'm seeing is a stressed and damaged fish. cloudy eye in the first picture also.

dcutl002

Yeah, I'm not seeing Ich either.

Rose of Sharon

Welcome to the forum!

SparkyJones is right; you should be able to treat him with lots of clean water. It does look like he may be either biting his fins (his caudal fin) or he may have gotten damaged on something - some decor maybe?

Betta fix is not really good for bettas. It has tea tree oil which can cause some damage to the betta's labyrinth organ. Most pet stores that sell bettas sell the stuff though. I tried it early on, but all it did was smell up my tank water. It didn't help at all, unfortunately.

Fin nipping would be another sign of stress. If you can keep his lights dim, that might help some, too. And if you can get some, maybe add some Indian almond leaves (catappa leaves) to his tank for the tannins. Tannins cause the water to be tinted brown but will help with his stress and contain some slight antibacterial and antifungal properties. If you can't get that, you could also use organic rooibos tea, which you might be able to find at a grocery store. Just brew up a cup, let it cool completely, and then slowly add some to the tank until you see the water become tinted brown. If you add too much, it will become really brown, which isn't bad, but you may not like it very much.

Kelcili

Been doing 50% every day for the last 4 days. Not much of a difference, but I think it's getting better.

Rose of Sharon

Regrowth can take some time. The new parts will look translucent at first, and then the color will eventually fill in afterward. Give it a couple of weeks and I am sure you will see some new growth.

SparkyJones

Been doing 50% every day for the last 4 days. Not much of a difference, but I think it's getting better.
It takes time to heal, but I think if your feel like there is some progress, or at least it's not getting progressively worse, then it's movement in the right direction.

Kelcili

I've been doing water changes, for quite a while now, but I've dulled it down to only once or twice a week. Kiki is very frustrating. Never had "perfect fins" even when I got him. Not a Crowntail, I know it's supposed to be a full circle but she is always sick and shredded.

Kelcili

Oh god... Tried to change the water but he's darting all over the place acting so skittish...

Rose of Sharon

When you do water changes, do you take him out of the tank, or leave him in?

Kelcili

Take him out. I don't have any fancy equipment so leaving him in would throw him around a lot.

Rose of Sharon

I used to take mine out, too, until I realized how stressed the betta was getting. So then I got a gravel vac. I just sucked the water out and did the vaccuming and cleaning around the betta. They are not usually very expensive. I got mine from PetSmart, and I think it was a small one for about 14.00. It has a ball on it that you can pump to start the suction, so it has really been easy. And the betta doesn't get stressed out or accidentally injured from me trying to catch it in a cup or anything. After a while, they get used to it. If anything, the silly thing would get in my way on purpose because he was so nosey and he wanted to see what was going on, lol!

Kelcili

Definitely will look into that.

SparkyJones

if it's not too big, you can use a turkey baster or a piece of airline tubing to clean around, or both. either one is cheap and effective on a small tank, not so useful above a 10 gallon though, it takes too long. When I was a kid I would clean the 10 gallon with a long piece of airline tubing and an empty gallon milk jug. vacuum around with it then let it take off 3 or 4 gallons or so each water change, it takes time but it's also gentle. i use a 5 gallon bucket and a bigger siphon now and 3 gallons are out of there in under 5 minutes

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Rantarzalt
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics
Replies
Views
VerdeTheButterflyBetta
Replies