Betta Shredded Tail

Aquafina

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I had recently moved my Betta into a 10 gallon tank.
High Range PH: either 8.0 or 8.2
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

I know my levels aren't the best, it's my first time cycling a tank (I did fishless cycle) and I still have a lot to learn :/ Also, I use Seachem Prime conditioner.

My Betta is eating normally and has consistently incredibly high energy, however about 2 days ago I noticed that his tail was looking shredded, it had a slit down it yesterday and today all three fins are very shredded. I don't think it is fine rot, but not positive. I'm not sure if he is biting them because they had become extremely long (can bettas reach that far to bite all three?) Or if he is tearing them in the filter. I have a Top Fin Silentstream 10 Power Filter which is adjustable and on the smallest stream possible, but he loves to swim in its current and play right under it. He is also about 3 years old now, so that might be a factor in his fin health as well.
IMG_20180503_091426.jpg
IMG_0098.JPG
IMG_0097.JPG

Attachments

Aquafina

Reaction score
Experience
4 years
AquaticJ said:
My guess is he's shredding it in the filter intake. I'd get a sponge cover for your intake tube. I'd also suggest using Seachem Prime in place of your water conditioner you're currently using, as it detoxifies ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.
I actually do use Seachem Prime. I have read about the intake, but I never understood how he would rip them on that? I figured he might be ripping them where the water pours out. Can you explain that part more to me please? I'll get a sponge and cover the intake though, hopefully that solves the issue. Thank you for the reply!

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Their fins are like paper, so when he gets his fins too close to the intake, it sucks his fins in and tears them.

tommywantfishy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Aquafina said:
I had recently moved my Betta into a 10 gallon tank.
High Range PH: either 8.0 or 8.2
Ammonia: .25 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 5 ppm

I know my levels aren't the best, it's my first time cycling a tank (I did fishless cycle) and I still have a lot to learn :/ Also, I use Seachem Prime conditioner.

My Betta is eating normally and has consistently incredibly high energy, however about 2 days ago I noticed that his tail was looking shredded, it had a slit down it yesterday and today all three fins are very shredded. I don't think it is fine rot, but not positive. I'm not sure if he is biting them because they had become extremely long (can bettas reach that far to bite all three?) Or if he is tearing them in the filter. I have a Top Fin Silentstream 10 Power Filter which is adjustable and on the smallest stream possible, but he loves to swim in its current and play right under it. He is also about 3 years old now, so that might be a factor in his fin health as well.
View attachment 436441 View attachment 436334 View attachment 436396
I would think age has something to do with it. I run an azoo mignon filter 60 on my 5g. Never used a filter intake sponge on the tank. I have 8.6 ph and 12 kh/12gh. Pretty fish. Have you ever given him a betta log to get completely out of the current? I have used a leaf hammock to keep the log in place. Works well.
20180426_214506.jpg

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom