Betta 'shedding' Its Tumor????

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Phikmis, Apr 23, 2017.

1. PhikmisValued MemberMember

My little sisters betta fish grew a nasty tumor and developed some serious fin rot in a very short time. We put him in a .5 gallon of treated water and do 100% wc every day with vitamins and proper chemicals (that math was painful ). His fins are growing back but now the tumor is 'shedding' and pieces are falling off. He is currently in the care of a friend who is also doing the daily water changes with vits and chems. The only new thing is that she has been Reiki-ing him to help him feel better (which he loves❤️). What on earth is happening with our fish???

2. Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

Could you please post some pictures?

3. PhikmisValued MemberMember

Im trying to get my friend to send clear bright ones right now!

4. Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

Okay, that's fine. It's just that we can't really give proper advice without the photos!

5. PhikmisValued MemberMember

IMG_0229.PNG
    About an imch to the left of the turtle decoration is a piece that fell off

IMG_0231.PNGIMG_0230.PNG

This is Ezekiel

IMG_0232.PNG
    And my friend says she watched small pieces fall over here

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 24, 2017
  6. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Looks like a fungus to me.

7. Sushi'skeeperValued MemberMember

Oh my gosh... wow. I have never seen a tumor like that. Honestly, you can't really treat a tumor, it's a tumor and wont really go away. How is his behavior?

I don't think so. You can clearly see where the tumor has ripped open.

8. NanologistWell Known MemberMember

Can you? I'll have to take another look tomorrow on my PC, but if it was a fungus it would explain why it's flaking off. Never heard of a tumor doing that or one that looks like this. Not that it isn't possible.

9. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

How is she Reiki-ing him?

10. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

Looks like Lymphocystis.

11. PhikmisValued MemberMember

Can i do anything to makd him more comfortable?

Its a form of energy work and he loves it! Its positive and beneficial for humans and animals!

For a while he was not happy what so ever so we actually purchased clove oil to euthanize him so he wouldnt suffer. I treated the fin rot first and he began building small bubble nests and swimming happily again so we decided not to euthanize him.

12. NavigatorBlackFishlore VIPMember

I would say he is losing scales. He is in very bad shape. If there is fungus at all, it's a secondary infection taking advantage of a much worse health problem. There's no treatment I can suggest.

13. DoubleDutchFishlore LegendMember

If it is Lymphocystis you can't do anything. It's viral / untreatable

14. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I know what Reiki is, I was wondering what form she was using on him...touch or non touch :)

15. PhikmisValued MemberMember

Oh my bad! No touching!

Alrighty At this point we are making him comfortable and we wont let him suffer.

16. AWheelerWell Known MemberMember

I was just making sure that this wasn't being caused by her touching him. Honestly, it looks like his scales are coming off and the tumor has either burst or it is growing against his skin and his skin is shedding because of it. It might be the tumor sloughing off, but if you start to see the tumor exposed with no skin growth behind it...don't let him suffer. If the tumor comes out and there is skin growth and not an open wound then have your friend keep doing what she is doing.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice