Betta Shedding Its Slime Coat? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Lauren_, May 26, 2018.

1. Lauren_

Lauren_Valued MemberMember

Hello everyone,

I've bad my betta Theo for about 3 1/2 months now and he's been the spunkiest, healthiest little guy I think I've ever owned. Yesterday however, I noticed two concerning things: his slime coat seems to be shedding off in certain areas (back, gill area, and ventral fins), and his left ventral fin (where I've noticed most of the slime shedding) is splitting. It's been split since I bought him (you can see from my profile picture), but since it never worsened I ignored it and just figured clean water would do the trick.

I originally blamed the slime on a hide I had added to the tank during his weekly water change on Tuesday. I noticed the slime on Friday, and so I removed the hide, did a substantial water change after, treated the water with StressCoat+, and added some Indian almond leaves. For the rest of the day, he seemed fine; a little disoriented perhaps, but fine. Today the slime has returned, so I'm convinced the hide was not at fault—it's definitely something with Theo. He's been hiding behind his heater a lot and he's been lurking towards the bottom more (it's rare, but it's not normal for him). I'm really worried about him. What could this be and what can I do for him? He's still readily eating, fully colored up, and responsive; he even feels well enough to flare and be grumpy, so I don't think he's feeling THAT bad. I just worry that perhaps this is the beginning stages of something really bad. :(

Info:
    Ammonia - 0 ppm
    Nitrite - 0 ppm
    Nitrate - 0-5 ppm (because of the large water change yesterday, but I assure you the tank is fully cycled)
    pH - 6.4-6.6
    Temp - 78F
    Tank size - 5G

If you need any images of the tank, the hide, or anything else, please let me know and I'll post them. I just really want to get this figured out for my betta's (and my two others) safety. I don't have a picture of the slime right now because he produces it and it falls off when he swims around, but I'll be sure to get a picture of it when I notice it again.

This picture isn't of my betta, but the slime coat shedding looks similar; note the "strings" of slime coming off.

2. DutchAquariumWell Known MemberMember

The slime coat shedding sounds like their is some type of irritant in the water. I would run some carbon and see if he improves. Could you post a picture of the fish, I'm not worried about the slime, we just need to see if their is something wrong with the fish.

3. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

There's no slime right now, but here's a picture I just took of him. Excuse my finger in the corner; if he's not flaring at something, he doesn't sit still. :p

My thought was that perhaps the hide I had placed in there the other day might've had chipping paint? After I removed it I did about a 90% water change, but could there still be something in the water from that? I actually am already running some carbon, I presume I should keep doing so? :confused:

4. OP
    OP
    Lauren_

Just a little update—Theo appears to be doing better! I noticed no slime all day yesterday, and none so far today. He's also been a lot more active. I'll continue to keep an eye on him to make sure there's nothing irritating him, but I think he's going to be alright for now. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice