Betta, Septicemia?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by LyleB, Dec 19, 2012.

1. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Hey all,

My new Betta (just got him last Saturday), has developed some red streaks in his tail and pectoral fins. I'm worried about the possibility of septicemia, but also thinking it just may be him coloring up more as he settles in. He is acting normally, eating well.

The tank is an established one (10 gal) that has always gotten twice weekly PWC, has always tested 0,0,5-10. Last test and water change was yesterday. I just noticed the bright red streaks/lines this morning. His only tank mates are a Mystery Snail and a Nerite.

I have Maracyn and Maracyn Two on hand, but hate to use them if I'm jumping the gun and panicking. In looking at the photos below, the red areas are more at the distal edges of the fins/tail. I would think with Septicemia, the redness would begin proximal, closer to the body.

Looking for any opinions/advice that those of you more knowledgeable may have. Excuse the flash reflection and water spots. :)

DSC_0096.jpg DSC_0090.jpg DSC_0097.jpg

2. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I think your fish may be a Marble Betta and the color change is more than likely normal. See my photos in my profile of Wriggley. He was mint green when I got him, developed red streaks that I also was concerned about, and come to find out, Marbles change colors.

Ken

3. OP
    OP
    L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Thanks Ken. Makes me feel better. This guy is a personable fellow, would hate to loose him so soon. I'll just keep an eye on him and not panic at day to day color changes.

4. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

Looks like redwash. Not marble necessarily, time will tell on that, but red wash is common in bettas with blue fins, it can develop late.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice