Betta seems lonely..

1. KyleMarie Member Member

Hello!

I recently posted about my two new little ladies I got. One of my little girls, Derby, is the sweetest little Betta I could ever imagine and shes now best friends with my ADFs. She swims with them, and they entertain her, and so far there has been no aggression. I have been keeping an eye on them and checking often (I even set alarms for every hour in the night to make sure everyone is getting along). They are in a 5 gallon and nothing else is going in there besides maybe a Nerite Snail or two. I was going to get a few ghost shrimp, but I don't trust my little guys not to eat them.

Then my other lady, Charlie, is in a 1 gallon as of right now. That was originally my quarantine tank, but I needed somewhere to put her since she was flaring at all of my other fish. I put her in a breeders box to see how she'd get along and she was just not having it. So, I should be getting another 5 gallon within the next two weeks. For now I'm trying to make her as happy as possible in her own little tank. I have found, though, that she sits at the edge of the tank and stares into my other tanks and watches all of them swim around sometimes. She explores her own surroundings but its almost as if shes lonely or something. I know Bettas generally like to be alone, but I'm wondering if there is any way I can get something in there to keep her entertained. Should I try a Horned Nerite Snail? I just don't want her to stare so longingly at all the other tanks around her because it makes me feel bad. I try to go up to the tank and play with her, because whenever I'm there she comes to the front and follows my hand and things. So, long story short, I feel bad for the poor girl!

If anyone has any suggestions about how I can entertain her for the next week or so, let me know please! I don't want her to feel lonely or bored!

2. Danjamesdixon Well Known Member Member

I used to hold that mindset, until i had a Doctor of Marine Epidemology explained something to me.

As blunt and sweeping as it might sound - your fish is not lonely. As human as we make them, fish don't exactly get "lonely", as much as one may believe. Introducing more than one fish into an environment also introduces competition for space and for food. No organism appreciates that, regardless of cognitive complexity. Schooling fish are a slight exception because they understand that safety in numbers ensures their survival, which is all any creature strives for.

If you feel she is getting bored, which could lead to tail biting, try giving her 'toys' - a plastic ball on the surface, anything she can interact with and not lose interest in.

3. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

Is the tank somewhere that she can see you regularly? My boy loves watching movement and such outside his tank, so if she is not already, maybe put the tank somewhere with more household activity?

4. KyleMarie Member Member

Well, she hasn't bit her tail or anything, and I set taller plants up in her tank so she has a lot of little areas to swim through and explore. And, like I said, I go over there several times throughout the day to play with her and stuff so she isn't completely alone. I know they really like their space, but I feel like she needs more things to observe and play with. That's why I was saying that my frogs did wonders for my other Betta.

And I can't really move them at all. I am currently on break from University, so I'm living in my parents house, and we already have 4 cats, 12 chickens, a couple ducks, several fish in a very large tank in the basement/den area, and we breed dogs (so we have 5 at the moment). They were very much against me buying more fish because they don't think we need anymore animals. So, they have to stay in my bedroom. Whenever I have free time from work or my online classes I'll go over and watch them and things, but there isn't really an option of moving them.

Granted, I think that my mom is coming around and is really starting to like my Bettas. Both of my parents were against Bettas because they're aggressive, but every now and then my mother will come in and talk about how pretty they are. So, I guess we'll see what happens.

5. Bithimala Well Known Member Member

I was more just thinking move the small tank to your desk or somewhere that you spend a little more time so that she could see you more until you had her in a bigger tank, or if nothing else, just reposition it so she can see your computer screen. My boy likes watching me on the computer, and watching our cat in addition to just personal interaction. He's not the most friendly with tank mates, so bored or not, all he gets are pest snails, lol.

6. Aquarium Newb Member Member

People often times say that betta like to be alone, however in my experience they don't. My betta is in my 20 gal community tank with many other fish and she is just fine, I have a school that she likes to swim with, even though people keep telling me betta aren't a schooling fish, she sticks with them constantly. Its like humans, there are loners and there are social butterflies. I personally have some shrimp and my betta is fine with it and they with my betta. However ghost shrimp are not my favourite, personally what I would get is rcs because they are much more docile than whisker shrimp which is often mistaken for ghost shrimp.

7. KyleMarie Member Member

I heard that sometimes taping some pictures or something to the tank will entertain them? I don't know how accurate that is.

Also, I was looking at shrimp but the majority of what I heard was that they would get eaten by my Bettas. I don't know if they would work with my aggressive girl, but maybe the other.

But I totally understand with what you're saying. I think I have two completely opposite Bettas because one is super outgoing and swims with my frogs and shes much more active and happy now that she has some friends in there. But the other Betta tried to attack everything that she has been with so far.

8. clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

It does really depend on the personality of the betta, as well as the other fish that people put them with. That being said I wouldn't do a betta community in anything less then a twenty gallon, heavily planted tank.

I personally have a more aggressive outgoing female betta, whom is okay with nerite snails but I don't trust her with anything else. I recently put her into a ten gallon tank from a five gallon, and she seems to love all the plants, the coconut shell, driftwood, and extra space to move in.

9. KyleMarie Member Member

Well I'm definitely not planning on putting any of my Bettas together anymore! When I got them I knew absolutely nothing about them other than that the females were known to be less aggressive than males. So I used my breeders box to see how it would go and I instantly knew it was a no go. My one Betta seems super happy in a 5 gallon with just the two ADF's. They don't take any of her swimming room away so I feel like that's all I would want in there besides maybe a snail or something. My other Betta will be moved to a 5 gallon too and shes most likely just going to be by herself with a lot of plants.