Betta scrapes? & breathing heavily

Sanchez5296

Anybody know what this is? I went to check on my betta last night and she was in the cave, on her side. This was unusual so I took a closer look and she has these marks, one on her head and the other in front of her dorsal fin. She was breathing fairly hard but that has now subsided. She was also just floating around and didn't get much sleep. You can see sort of a pinkish color(assuming her skin), it looked darker earlier, and I don't know the word but I guess scab? The skin is hanging from that area is best I can describe it. Therefore, I believe that it is probably something she scrapped herself on. The pictures are bad but I can get better ones if needed.

BigManAquatics

Does very much look like a scrape from some decor, might want to try sanding edges on any holes in the decor to make them much smoother and rounded to prevent in the future. I would start doing daily changes, 15-25% each time should be enough to help prevent infection. Some aquarium salt may help as well or stress coat, just to help promote the skin healing.

Upvote 0

Sanchez5296

Does very much look like a scrape from some decor, might want to try sanding edges on any holes in the decor to make them much smoother and rounded to prevent in the future. I would start doing daily changes, 15-25% each time should be enough to help prevent infection. Some aquarium salt may help as well or stress coat, just to help promote the skin healing.
That's what I figured, thank you for the information.
A
That's what I figured, thank you for the information.
Also, I used prime very recently(yesterday) and I am not too sure about using stress coat for my next water change. Is it bad if I mix the two?

Upvote 0

Sanchez5296

How long does it take for an injury like that to go away? It has been a few days, but I feel like heeling hasn't really changed in the last 2 days. I can't tell if there is something fuzzy on the wound by the dorsal. I can try to get a better picture since this does not really show it. I have been doing daily water changes and have an almond leaf in there. Would you suggest doing anything different?

Upvote 0

Sanchez5296

What does the standard procedure for sanding down rough edges look like? What type of sandpaper? Do I rinse it off before putting back in tank? Can I use anything else to fix the edges besides replacing it? I just want to know the safest way to go about this, thanks

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Sanchez5296
Replies
Views
Neurogirl1515
Replies
Views
Sanchez5296