Betta Scared Or Angry?

BettaMisha

Reaction score
I am taking care of my friend's betta due to a house fire. The upstairs was destroyed but the fish were found alive downstairs. He is in the 10 gallon tank again and I check his water. The betta is fine if I am nowhere near his line of sight, but if I get nearby he slowly hides or flares at me. He used to flare if people got nearby and swim around angrily, but since the fire he kind of lays there and gets stressed. I am able to feed him by getting a blanket in front of me and backing away. He doesn't get as stressed when I do it that way. He eventually goes up and grabs food, but since my friend's filter is so strong it throws him around a little and I am not sure how much food he actually grabs. How do I control his food so he doesn't starve or over consume? Is there anything I can do about his new temperament?

Aquilist

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Try covering the filter intake with a sponge or pantyhose. It'll lessen the flow. Does he have many hiding places? Nowhere to hide is a common stress-creator. I'm also sure that the fire would've scared him. Is he swimming normally? (straight, not lopsided.)

Repolie

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I'm sure that fire has made him skittish and you seem to be doing the right things. You can turn off the filter during feeding and feed it in small amounts where he can see and catch them before they all fall down. If the filter is too strong (I'm guessing it's a hang on back filter), you can tie a sponge onto the intake or shove a sponge into the outtake. Try adding some more floating plants or decorations for him to feel more comfortable around the surface. It'll also encourage him to rest around the surface.

New Threads