Betta Scaping

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Daniel Price, Apr 24, 2018.

1. Daniel PriceValued MemberMember

What is the recommended amount of planted decoration for a betta tank.
    10gal
    Currently has java moss in a corner and a glass vase near middle.

2. skllkdNew MemberMember

Hey

With a 10 gallon tank, I would go with relativity easy (yet beautiful) plants - Java Ferns, Amazon swords, Anubias Nana, Hornwort, Java Moss.

Things to look for when setting up a planted tank:

- Lighting - average of 10hours a day of lighting
    - Aquarium substrate
    - Fertilizer - recommend Seachem fertilizer
    - Rock and woods - Java Fern and Anubia Nana are not to be planted in the soil - so you can attach them with sewing thread to a rock or driftwood, and eventually the roots will attach to the rock or wood.

Do not worry about c02 injection as these are low care plants - and no worries about getting an air stone as Betta is a surface breather - also getting an air stone running at night (only at night otherwise it disrupts the plants photosynthesis during the day) is always good.

3. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

I don't think there is a recommended amount of decorations just as long as there are a few hiding spots here and there with some other decor so they can feel secure and won't be too bored. Although I think you will need to add a bit more to the tank

4. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

Here's a photo of my 20 long betta tank.
    IMG_1770.JPG

5. RachelNoelValued MemberMember

awesome tank! That is one lucky betta.

6. UluWell Known MemberMember

Personally I would avoid hornwort. My fish tended to eat it and shred it and a lot of it ended up on the bottom of the tank, so I was constantly vacuuming.

7. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

I've never had a betta eat hornwort or destroy it

8. CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

Betta dream land! Lucky fish!

9. FanaticFishlore VIPMember

It's got at least 12 more plants, and decorations.

10. Katie13Fishlore VIPMember

11. UluWell Known MemberMember

Maybe it wasn't the betta eating it I had a little pleco in the tank too.

I just know that this stuff is a pain in the butt.

12. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

yeah it can definitely be a pain in the butt, although it is great if it likes your tank XD

13. JLeeMWell Known MemberMember

Agreed, hornwort is super messy. I actually removed mine a while back. I've finally done enough water cgachan to get the needles out. Now I'm replacing it with a few stems of anacharis today. Hoping it grows and let's me propagate it.

14. JamieXPXPWell Known MemberMember

although i highly recommend bucephlandra and crypts for a low tech planted tank

15. Anne79New MemberMember

Oh i thought about adding hornwort.. but was hesitating because i read that it shed.. now ill definatly wont add it. Is cabomba more appropriate? Will it shed too? I love how those plants are looking and they seems so soft on betta fins

16. UluWell Known MemberMember

What do bettas think of duckweed? I've never had it before myself.

17. jogypsygirlNew MemberMember

HI! I notice you only have a small lamp for all those plants. I'm curious what kind is it? I am wondering if I can have plants in my five gallon betta tank if the only light is a regular house lamp positioned directly over it and about two feet above. Is it possible to keep plants alive with just that kind of light? My betta doesn't seem to like even the supposedly mild tank lights. He kind of freaks out when they are on and prefers indirect light or lights higher above him.

18. UluWell Known MemberMember

I have done experiments with bettas and tanks which grow plants and fish and I have come to the conclusion that it is better to keep them apart, because you can never put enough light on the plants to make them grow well without stressing out the fish.

There are some very low-light plants which grow better and give you a better chance with the fish.

One thing to remember when setting up your lights is this.

If your lights are 12" away from the plant and you move it to 6", it will get four times as much light

If it's 12 in away and you move it to 3 in away, your plant will get 16 times as much light!

19. jogypsygirlNew MemberMember

Thank you so much for your reply! So you’re saying you have noticed that a lot of light stressed your Betta’s too? Is that a betta thing as opposed to other types of fish?
    The tank in your pictures is a betta tank though, right? And What kinds of low light plants are in there?

20. UluWell Known MemberMember

I have noticed that my bettas like to hide out a lot, but they swim around a lot too, particularly if there's food involved. I used to keep my lights on the tank 16 hours a day and it was a big mistake.

It was actually causing stress on all the fish to have so much light, but perhaps not particularly more stress to the beta.

Now I have reduced the overhead light in my aquarium room & rarely give them over 8 hours tank light, which means that plants inside the tank don't really get as much light as they should.

I'm not sure exactly which photographs you were referring to since I've posted a hundred of them. If it's the experimental grow tank, I have disassembled it and turned it into a sump for another tank.

In the water it had Anubias Nana and jungle Val and hornwort, but I don't remember what the little carpet plants and stemy things were off hand.

Out of the water I was growing Creeping Charlie and Ivy. In the tank I was keeping one betta and one pleco.

To get the plants closer to the light I would prop them up in little plastic pots.

But every morning that pleco was just ripping them loose and I was replanting all the time. I no longer keep live plants in my pleco tank. 20180308_125006.jpg

We need some better aquatic gardeners in here because I am definitely not an expert on plants.

Last edited: May 7, 2018

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice