Betta Scale Loss

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Zenial, Apr 5, 2010.

1. Zenial

Zenial Valued Member Member

Fish! They're just one hurdle after another lately...

Yesterday my Blue Male Beta had an injury behind one of his fins - a few scales lost. I'm not sure as to how he lost them. It may have been on an ornament in the tank, that wasn't entirely smooth upon inspection. It has now been removed.

Today it appears his injuries may be a little larger spread, and he's holding his fin down over it, so it must hurt a lot - my poor little guy.

I'm going to change his water every second day, and include Stress Coat+

If his injury doesn't seem to be healing, or gets infected or worse... what should I do?

Are there any Betta diseases that cause scale loss, without any other syptoms? Is it possible that this is a bacterial infection?

I reference this for betta diseases, bacterial infection is the only one to mention open sores.

201.jpg

2. u

uprightandlocked Well Known Member Member

I would also caution you to add garlic juice (or Garlic Guard) to the water to help prevent infection.

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Even in a human standards most likely a bacterial infenction would be present in someone with an open cut. Keeping his water clean (10% water changes everyday) keep using the Stress Coat and like what Uprightandlocked said adding garlic will help a lot. Also keep his water nice and warm. If he does get an infenction you'll like to get a type of antibacterial medication like something from Jungle (which is weak) which I would suggest for something not that bad. If it does get worse Tetracycline or Erythromycin is good too, but you'll need to remove your carbon filter to treat with them. Best of Luck.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice