Betta Safe Plants

1. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Tank Type: 5g Bowfront

Tank Inhabitants: 1 male Crowntail Betta

Future Inhabitants: Ghost or Cherry Shrimp to help with algae.

Lighting: Zoo Med Ultra Sun Daylight Compact Fluorescent Bulb

Substrate: Gravel

Cleaning: 1 a week schedule

-----------

As stated above what would some ideal plants for my set up. As I know nothing, please keep the suggestions low maintenance, easy to find species that are forgivable to beginners. Tank has at the moment a piece of Driftwood and 3 fake silk plants. Local retail places I have around me are Petco and Petsmart.

2. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

In my betta tank I have Java fern, Java moss, Vallisneria, Marimo Moss balls and Bacopa but he loves to play in the Salvinia Natans roots, he rests on the Moss balls and on the Jave fern. He used to rest on a sword before I switched it out for Java fern (No reason other than I preferred the colour in that specific tank, I would have put it back if he had protested!) The plants are all doing well under LED kit lights, no ferts, no co2.

I would suggest something leafy to rest on and some floating plants so he can hide in the roots (also helps baffle the current a bit) or float some plants.

Be sure to post some pictures when you're all set up :)

3. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

You could have some anubias & tie it to the wood, java fern, dwarf swords are also good as they have broad leaves for the Betta to rest on.
    Wisteria is another they seem to like, it can get a bit bushy but you can prune it if it gets out of hand.

4. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Thanks for the suggestions so far. Was planning in coming to lfs after work. My goal is to slowly replace all my fake plants with real ones over a period of several months in this tank to start.

5. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Anubias and java fern are really easy to keep, just don't plant the rhizomes. I tie mine to rocks or wood.. You could even tie them to the weights on your fake plants as you remove them, chop it off :) wisteria is also very easy to keep, as are floating plants.

They seem to like something leafy and something bushy... A bit if variety!x

6. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Ill keep that in mind on the weights, I would not have thought of that.

7. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I'm all for anything that saves me money, especially in fish keeping!

8. Araielle Initiate Member

I have a 5 gal bowfront with a male betta and a nerite in my office. I have the same lighting, too, & my wisteria grows so great in it. Wisteria can be planted directly into the sand or gravel, but can also be used as a floater for your fish to rest near the surface. I have never used root tabs or any extra plant fert to help them grow. Just the fish waste & the lighting are more than enough to keep them going. I also really like java moss & anubias as others have mentioned above. If you plan to get shrimp, I highly recommend getting some moss for them. Get a small smooth stone or some wood & tie the moss to it with fishing line. It will hold the moss down & give it a starting point to grow.

9. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

10. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

thank you. Will take a look.

11. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

went to petco got the assorted anubias.The kind that comes in thoughs tubes. Its 4" only one. Call it my trial. It was only 4.99 going to place it tomorrow evening when I do my water change. It it lives in two weeks I will replace another one ECT eventually have fully planted tank. Just a little nervous I guess even if it is silly.

12. Vongchanh25 Member Member

Get some hornwort it grows like crazy and in any light basically it floats at the top and my bettas like to make bubble nest in it

13. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I will keep that in mind. I was going to pick up some shrimp today and a few hiding places for them as precaution betta left the snail alone after the first day so feeling pretty good. Will look for some . Maybe a few more

14. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

My betta has spent most of the day wiggling around the Salvinia Natans roots. Get something floating for him to play in, so easy to keep and no planting too, bonus!

Good luck with the shrimp, I'm considering going that root. Let me know how you get on!x

15. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Will do if my plant survives for two weeks and it should I'm replacing all the other fakes with real though I might keep one or two of the more colored ones for contrast. Bought a small driftwood ornament that sits low and three ghost shrimp the bigger ones in the tank. Going to do add them and my plant when I get home so have an update in an hour or two maybe three with pics.

any probs the shrimp can ho into my 20g L

16. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

you wanted to know. 3 ghosties went in the tank last night before lights out. Left them on an extra hour so I could monitor them and his behavior. He chased one or two bit they would shoot up and away them drop and hid leaving him to swim in a confused circle. After about 15 minutes he lost interest in chasing them and they could swim right by him no problem. All 3 are there this morning. I picked out the more mature looking ones at the store so size does help I believe and they have several nooks and crannies to run to if needed but I'm confident. Anyone know how to sex ghosties? I'll get pics up later today, was going to go to store because I forgot shrimp food to supplement them with last night and to pick up the rest of my plants. There were one or two to wanted to add in my first run.

17. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

That sounds like its going well. I am considering adding two or three when I upgrade Percy to a 10G but I do have spare tanks if needs be fingers crossed it works out for you!x

18. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Thanks for you too if you get them eventually. Same here if it goes bad I can scoop up them up of they are lucky enough to be alive and put them in my other tank. So not to worried either.

19. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

Let me know how your plants get on too. I'm after some new ones as well x

20. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I can do that will post pics after get back from the store. Was going to go ahead and pick up one or two more since I had to go back anyways. Just don't want to get overwhelmed till I get the hang of it. When this one is good I'll he back asking for suggestions on my other tank lol