Betta rubbing nose on glass?

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by khloem, Aug 9, 2015.

1. khloem

khloemValued MemberMember

hey there! :) after three months i finally got myself a new betta! i had said i wanted something fancy, maybe a koi HM plakat, but i ended up falling for this guy ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439172283.848216.jpg
    Felix! my gorgeous orange VT! here's a closer picture of his beautiful partially cellophane tail! ImageUploadedByFish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum1439172314.180590.jpg
    anyways, i've noticed the new guy constantly swimming up and down the glass on all sides of the tank, seemingly rubbing his "nose area" back and forth, as if scratching an itch. he is in a fully cycled 5 gallon artificially planted tank. temperature- 80°F, no ammonia or nitrites. pH is around 7.0 i believe.
    overall, the conditions are worlds better than what i bought him in, a small jar filled with very cold water and a lot of uneaten food and fishy waste :( could the "nose rubbing" just be his way of swimming around? i don't see anything on his facial area that looks suspicious, nothing on his gills either as far as i can tell. he was extremely lethargic in the pet store, and now he's swimming all around. don't get me wrong, he doesn't rub his nose on the glass every second of every day, but he does it often enough for me to notice it and want to ask about it!
    other than this, he seems to be very happy and healthy in this warmer, cleaner water! i'm sure he appreciates having some decor and hideouts as well!
    also, one more thing (sorry this is so long!!)- i've never seen him trying to rub his body against any of the silk plants or his hideout decoration, which has to be a good sign.
    thanks in advance for your thoughts!!

2. Bijou88

Bijou88Well Known MemberMember

He's probably just surfing, a lot of my fish did this the first few days in a new tank. He's beautiful btw! :)

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

I think it's normal. Mine does it, particularly when I'm in the room, looking in the tank. He'll also "snap" his jaws while I'm staring into his tank, either he wants to bite me or wants food lol! Anyways, mine does it, they might be just excited to see us haha! :)

4. OP
    OP
    khloem

thank you so much!!!

5. OP
    OP
    khloem

aww haha! that's so cute! thanks a ton!!!

6. BornThisWayBettas

BornThisWayBettasFishlore VIPMember

Happy to help! :)