Betta Ripped Fins?

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
image.jpg
So I’ve had my 2 Bettas in a shared (but divided) 10 gallon tank. Lucifer is doing just fine, active, curious, hungry all the time. But Amenadiel’s tail fins (only around the top) have some rips and breaks I’m not sure if he’s sick or it’s because his new fav hiding place has some jagged spots inside of it (though I believe the splitting started during a water change when he freaked out, but that was last week and it looks to be a bit worse instead of better). His colors haven’t faded at all and his temperament has remained almost the same. (Once a week I put a mirror in there for a minute for each guy but Amenadiel won’t flare at his reflection, not sure if this is related). His appetite remains. He comes out from hiding to eat. I do weekly water changes of 50% with spring water, water is heated it is currently around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve just started yesterday the 7 day doses of Melafix to help heal his fins faster. Aside from the cave it’s a heavily planted tank. Any ideas on what may be wrong with my boy?
 

fjh

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,281
Reaction score
1,109
Location
Southern California
Experience
5 to 10 years
It looks like your boy (beautiful btw) just has some minor fin rot. This is usually caused my a bacteria, and while melafix does help cure fin rot, you should be careful using it on any fish with a labyrinth organ (bettas included). Usually all they need is clean water and it heals fine on its own, so my recommendation would be to stop using the melafix and just do more frequent water changes.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #3
OP
Candace

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
fjh said:
It looks like your boy (beautiful btw) just has some minor fin rot. This is usually caused my a bacteria, and while melafix does help cure fin rot, you should be careful using it on any fish with a labyrinth organ (bettas included). Usually all they need is clean water and it heals fine on its own, so my recommendation would be to stop using the melafix and just do more frequent water changes.
I’ll definitely try that, honestly I feel better doing that, I really don’t like to use chemicals for anything cause you just never know. For the future, what are the dangers of using Melafix with fish with the labyrinth organ? And with the more frequent changes, should I only change 25% or is 50% ok?
 

fjh

Well Known
Member
Messages
2,281
Reaction score
1,109
Location
Southern California
Experience
5 to 10 years
Candace said:
I’ll definitely try that, honestly I feel better doing that, I really don’t like to use chemicals for anything cause you just never know. For the future, what are the dangers of using Melafix with fish with the labyrinth organ? And with the more frequent changes, should I only change 25% or is 50% ok?
Supposedly, it coats their labyrinth organ (the one they use to breathe air) so that they can no longer use it. I think the company has tried to fix this, with mixed results. You can read more about it in this thread if you'd like
 

LagerthaM

Active Member
Member
Messages
330
Reaction score
97
Location
North Carolina U.S.
Experience
4 years
I agree with above. If the Fin rot gets worse you might want to try kanaplex, but I don't think you need to use any medicine as of yet. Just do more frequent water changes and keep an eye on him and he should be fine.
 

Orion1066

Active Member
Member
Messages
142
Reaction score
70
Location
Davidson
Experience
5 to 10 years
Candace said:
image.jpg
So I’ve had my 2 Bettas in a shared (but divided) 10 gallon tank. Lucifer is doing just fine, active, curious, hungry all the time. But Amenadiel’s tail fins (only around the top) have some rips and breaks I’m not sure if he’s sick or it’s because his new fav hiding place has some jagged spots inside of it (though I believe the splitting started during a water change when he freaked out, but that was last week and it looks to be a bit worse instead of better). His colors haven’t faded at all and his temperament has remained almost the same. (Once a week I put a mirror in there for a minute for each guy but Amenadiel won’t flare at his reflection, not sure if this is related). His appetite remains. He comes out from hiding to eat. I do weekly water changes of 50% with spring water, water is heated it is currently around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve just started yesterday the 7 day doses of Melafix to help heal his fins faster. Aside from the cave it’s a heavily planted tank. Any ideas on what may be wrong with my boy?
In looking over your situation, I notice some points that have in common. I have a 2.5 gallon tank, with one male betta only. I regularly change the water, using treated/conditioned natural spring water for replacements. Still, I worry about my Betta's fins all the time, and I check them often. I have been keeping an eye on my filter intake tube grid all the time. I have noticed that he sometimes come to rest under the filter, and his fins are right up against the grid. The low intake rate does not seem to affect his tail fin (he is a veil tail) and so far there is no damage to the thin, fin membrane. In looking around the threads on this topic, it looks like many people are experiencing the same symptoms of shredded, or ripped fins.
 

LagerthaM

Active Member
Member
Messages
330
Reaction score
97
Location
North Carolina U.S.
Experience
4 years
Orion1066 said:
In looking over your situation, I notice some points that have in common. I have a 2.5 gallon tank, with one male betta only. I regularly change the water, using treated/conditioned natural spring water for replacements. Still, I worry about my Betta's fins all the time, and I check them often. I have been keeping an eye on my filter intake tube grid all the time. I have noticed that he sometimes come to rest under the filter, and his fins are right up against the grid. The low intake rate does not seem to affect his tail fin (he is a veil tail) and so far there is no damage to the thin, fin membrane. In looking around the threads on this topic, it looks like many people are experiencing the same symptoms of shredded, or ripped fins.
Betta's with big, flowy tales like HMPK are very susceptible to fin rot, tearing, bruising, ripping, nipping and lots of other conditions. You have to be very careful of things like filters and decorations because they will sometimes tear fins.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8
OP
Candace

Candace

Active Member
Member
Messages
433
Reaction score
299
Location
Maryland
Experience
1 year
4B8D94BF-1B72-4F52-B5A6-C2402AF23B05.jpeg
I am happy to say his fins are looking better with the more frequent water changes and he has started making a bubble nest today (this is something he hasn’t done, at least since I’ve had him) and he isn’t hiding as much.
 

LagerthaM

Active Member
Member
Messages
330
Reaction score
97
Location
North Carolina U.S.
Experience
4 years
Candace said:
4B8D94BF-1B72-4F52-B5A6-C2402AF23B05.jpeg
I am happy to say his fins are looking better with the more frequent water changes and he has started making a bubble nest today (this is something he hasn’t done, at least since I’ve had him) and he isn’t hiding as much.
That's amazing!
 

New Threads

Similar Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
265
Guests online
3,587
Total visitors
3,852

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom