Betta Ripped Fins?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Candace, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Candace

CandaceValued MemberMember

image.jpg So I’ve had my 2 Bettas in a shared (but divided) 10 gallon tank. Lucifer is doing just fine, active, curious, hungry all the time. But Amenadiel’s tail fins (only around the top) have some rips and breaks I’m not sure if he’s sick or it’s because his new fav hiding place has some jagged spots inside of it (though I believe the splitting started during a water change when he freaked out, but that was last week and it looks to be a bit worse instead of better). His colors haven’t faded at all and his temperament has remained almost the same. (Once a week I put a mirror in there for a minute for each guy but Amenadiel won’t flare at his reflection, not sure if this is related). His appetite remains. He comes out from hiding to eat. I do weekly water changes of 50% with spring water, water is heated it is currently around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. I’ve just started yesterday the 7 day doses of Melafix to help heal his fins faster. Aside from the cave it’s a heavily planted tank. Any ideas on what may be wrong with my boy?

2. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

It looks like your boy (beautiful btw) just has some minor fin rot. This is usually caused my a bacteria, and while melafix does help cure fin rot, you should be careful using it on any fish with a labyrinth organ (bettas included). Usually all they need is clean water and it heals fine on its own, so my recommendation would be to stop using the melafix and just do more frequent water changes.

3. OP
    OP
    Candace

I’ll definitely try that, honestly I feel better doing that, I really don’t like to use chemicals for anything cause you just never know. For the future, what are the dangers of using Melafix with fish with the labyrinth organ? And with the more frequent changes, should I only change 25% or is 50% ok?

4. fjh

fjhWell Known MemberMember

Supposedly, it coats their labyrinth organ (the one they use to breathe air) so that they can no longer use it. I think the company has tried to fix this, with mixed results. You can read more about it in this thread if you'd like :)

5. LagerthaM

LagerthaMValued MemberMember

I agree with above. If the Fin rot gets worse you might want to try kanaplex, but I don't think you need to use any medicine as of yet. Just do more frequent water changes and keep an eye on him and he should be fine.

6. Orion1066

Orion1066Valued MemberMember

In looking over your situation, I notice some points that have in common. I have a 2.5 gallon tank, with one male betta only. I regularly change the water, using treated/conditioned natural spring water for replacements. Still, I worry about my Betta's fins all the time, and I check them often. I have been keeping an eye on my filter intake tube grid all the time. I have noticed that he sometimes come to rest under the filter, and his fins are right up against the grid. The low intake rate does not seem to affect his tail fin (he is a veil tail) and so far there is no damage to the thin, fin membrane. In looking around the threads on this topic, it looks like many people are experiencing the same symptoms of shredded, or ripped fins.

7. LagerthaM

Betta's with big, flowy tales like HMPK are very susceptible to fin rot, tearing, bruising, ripping, nipping and lots of other conditions. You have to be very careful of things like filters and decorations because they will sometimes tear fins.

8. OP
    OP
    Candace

4B8D94BF-1B72-4F52-B5A6-C2402AF23B05.jpeg I am happy to say his fins are looking better with the more frequent water changes and he has started making a bubble nest today (this is something he hasn’t done, at least since I’ve had him) and he isn’t hiding as much.

9. LagerthaM

That's amazing!