betta Rescue Help

Terrormissu

Reaction score
Hello! So I adopted the sickest betta from my local pet store, to give him a fair lease on life today. He doesn’t look so hot, and I was wondering if anyone might be able to help me figure out what exactly is wrong, and how to treat it.

His coloring is very faded and pale, and I’m very sure he’s not supposed to be this shade at all due to his scales having a blue metallic sheen. His gills are a bit dark, but seem to close fine, he isn’t gasping for breath and being reasonably active, which is an improvement from when I got him today.(he was sitting very motionlessly at the bottom of his cup, which was filthy I might add. Cloudy and you could smell his waste from an arms length away!! Yuck!!) His fins seem much too tattered and slim to me (even though crown tails are naturally tattered) and the edges of his tail fins are blackened. I’m not sure here if that part of his coloring though.

In his new tank, he’s got 5.5 gallons to himself, a steady 80F, sponge filter, bubbler and a dose of Berta fix. I also added almond leaves and chills wood as I’d heard they help with bacterial infections. The water parameters are steady.

I’ve attached a photo below! Is there anything else I can do for him? He isn’t eating yet but I find new fish rarely eat imediatly.

Attachments

AquaBaby

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hello, and welcome to Fishlore!!! I'm sure you'll find TONS of information here! I know I have!!

I'm still learning myself, but I would start with a methylene blue (mb) dip; nutritious food; and clean, clean water! Hope you'll see an improvement in the fins quickly. They actually don't look all that bad in the picture, just like it could be the beginning of a big problem if not addressed (hence the mb and clean water suggestions!).

Since your profile says you know about the nitrogen cycle, I have nothing to add there.

Thanks for the pic of your new little guy and best of luck with him!

Repolie

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I see nothing physically wrong with him that's of concern. Just keep his water clean with daily water changes and a good diet with lots of variety and he should be good and start perking up.

FrostedFlakes

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
His fins do look like he may have experienced some rot imo, or possibly ammonia burn. I feel for now, it is best you let him settle in while doing fairly frequent water changes. If his cup was as dirty as you describe, he was very likely subjected to large amounts of ammonia so nice and clean water will go a long way for him. The almond leaves also help because the tanins have anitseptic properties. Give him time and clean water and he'll eventually perk up. I'd drop the bettafix. It's a bit of a controversial product as some believe it will coat the labyrinth organ of the fish, some don't. I just know that here, I don't think it's necessary and meds can add stress. Just checking, is the tank cycled?

Lindsay Huff

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I would maybe not use the bettafix
Unfortunately it is made with tea tree oil, which can potentially coat his labyrinth organ and make it hard for him to breath.
Not say it absolutely will, but I think just focusing on keeping his water warm and clean will be the best remedy for him!
You’re doing a great job! Can’t wait to see what he looks like when he’s all healthy again!!!

Terrormissu

Reaction score
I haven’t gotten around to responding back in a bit! But I’ve been following your guys advice!! He’s been coloring up nicely, and perked up a whole bunch! He looks and behaves much better now~ thanks for the suggestion on the bettafix, I didn’t know it was so controversial!! Does anyone know what’s up with him only eating red foods though? He behaves like a toddler haha!!

Lacey D

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Terrormissu said:
I haven’t gotten around to responding back in a bit! But I’ve been following your guys advice!! He’s been coloring up nicely, and perked up a whole bunch! He looks and behaves much better now~ thanks for the suggestion on the bettafix, I didn’t know it was so controversial!! Does anyone know what’s up with him only eating red foods though? He behaves like a toddler haha!!
One of the best things about betta are how individual their personalities are. Mine only ate red when I got him too--I think maybe it's more in their color awareness than the green or brown? Anyways, mine is a little piggy and eats all of it now

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom