Betta Rescue Help

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
(Posted this in freshwater fish but it is a timely issue and I received only one response.)

Calling all Betta experts. Please tag anyone you think may be able to help.

My girlfriend (and I) rescued a Betta who has some really bad fin rot, and seemingly a bit of early body-rot. Pics attached.

Due to legal constraints in Quebec, not all medication is available. We picked up some Paraguard and Methylene blue. Planning on treating the tank with Paraguard and doing methylene blue dips. (HOW LONG SHOULD THE METHYLENE BLUE DIPS BE?! RIGA calls for 10 drops/Gallon. Says nothing else)

Planning on keeping temperature lower to try and slow down the rotting, at around 76 degrees.

The tank is 5 gallons and filtered.

It is halfway through a cycle and was originally going to be the home of a beautiful, locally bred betta. But now, desperate times call for desperate needs. We grabbed a ton of seeded media and will change 30% of the water daily.

What else can we do?

Thanks.

@WanhiBetta
IMG_9240.JPG
IMG_9241.JPG

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
First of all, dont change the water 75% per day, that’ll stress him out way too much. I’d say like 20% per day should be adequate. Methylene blue baths are great, and should be around 15-20 minuets at most but if you see it stressing him out shorten them. I’d also advise to add an air stone to the bath because it decreases oxygen. I’d up the temp to make him more comfortable though. There’s not much else you can do, you sound very prepared though. Best of luck to your little baby boy️

bubblaroo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
It's a great thing that you are doing for this fish. I'm sure that living in a filtered, heated tank will already go great lengths in helping him recover if he has any chance at all.

I would avoid over-medicating, since stress can also lower the natural immune response. The meds that you already have should help a great deal. Aside from that, possible a salt bath? And as a long-term treatment supplement some Indian almond leaves?

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Crazy Betta Lady said:
First of all, dont change the water 75% per day, that’ll stress him out way too much. I’d say like 20% per day should be adequate. Methylene blue baths are great, and should be around 15-20 minuets at most but if you see it stressing him out shorten them. I’d also advise to add an air stone to the bath because it decreases oxygen. I’d up the temp to make him more comfortable though. There’s not much else you can do, you sound very prepared though. Best of luck to your little baby boy️
Yes, sorry for being unclear. The 75% per day would be if the tank doesn't properly cycle.

But we added seeded media so it should.

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
bubblaroo said:
It's a great thing that you are doing for this fish. I'm sure that living in a filtered, heated tank will already go great lengths in helping him recover if he has any chance at all.

I would avoid over-medicating, since stress can also lower the natural immune response. The meds that you already have should help a great deal. Aside from that, possible a salt bath? And as a long-term treatment supplement some Indian almond leaves?
We'll pick up almond leaves next week! Avoiding salt because it's very irritating

bubblaroo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I understand your concerns regarding the salt bath. Honestly, the methylene blue should be plenty in terms of treatment.

All there's left for him to do is recover! Lots of patience, good thoughts, and clean water will do the trick. You sound like you know what you're doing, so he's in good hands.

Buganjimo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
CanadianJoeh said:
We'll pick up almond leaves next week! Avoiding salt though it's very irritating
Almond leaves are good, I’ve found aquarium salt can be good for their fins (I have had multiple tail biters) but it depends on the betta. I usually do half doses if I do because it can be overwhelming.

gracerig

Reaction score
CanadianJoeh said:
(Posted this in freshwater fish but it is a timely issue and I received only one response.)

Calling all Betta experts. Please tag anyone you think may be able to help.

My girlfriend (and I) rescued a Betta who has some really bad fin rot, and seemingly a bit of early body-rot. Pics attached.

Due to legal constraints in Quebec, not all medication is available. We picked up some Paraguard and Methylene blue. Planning on treating the tank with Paraguard and doing methylene blue dips. (HOW LONG SHOULD THE METHYLENE BLUE DIPS BE?! RIGA calls for 10 drops/Gallon. Says nothing else)

Planning on keeping temperature lower to try and slow down the rotting, at around 76 degrees.

The tank is 5 gallons and filtered.

It is halfway through a cycle and was originally going to be the home of a beautiful, locally bred betta. But now, desperate times call for desperate needs. We grabbed a ton of seeded media and will change 30% of the water daily.

What else can we do?

Thanks.

@WanhiBetta
View attachment 413327 View attachment 413328
I would recommend a bath over a dip since he's so stressed already. For a bath, have a fish safe container with 3ppm of methylene blue for 15-30 minutes. For a dip, use 50ppm of methylene blue for no more than 10 seconds. I would also suggest having a small container with tank water on the side to rinse him off before putting him back because methylene blue will kill beneficial bacteria in your tank.

CanadianJoeh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
gracerig said:
I would recommend a bath over a dip since he's so stressed already. For a bath, have a fish safe container with 3ppm of methylene blue for 15-30 minutes. For a dip, use 50ppm of methylene blue for no more than 10 seconds. I would also suggest having a small container with tank water on the side to rinse him off before putting him back because methylene blue will kill beneficial bacteria in your tank.
We did a 10 min bath to try and keep the stress at a low level

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom