Betta rescape first plant tank attempt

1. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Hey all you out there. You asked for pics so I finally got some. I hope you like it. I am still learning how to do this underwater stuff but like it so far.

The tank is a 5g mini bowfront
    Fish: 1 betta (male)
    Invertebrates: 2 ghost shrimp (unsexed)
    Plants: assorted anubias, scarlet temple, moneywort

I plan on getting some moss to over lay the centerpiece and make it more realistic maybe put something small at the top of the trunk. It offered several peak a boo holes all around for the betta. Ignore the one fake plant looking for a tallish bushy type plant back there to replace it with suggestions welcome.

Any tips comments and suggestions welcome.

2. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

Sounds pretty! pictures?

3. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

working on it. Just finished taking having problems posting

4. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Sounds like a great bachelor pad for the Betta!! Have you had any problems with the Betta being aggressive towards the Ghost Shrimp? or Vice Versa?

5. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

Yes and no,the first 15 minutes he chased them around and was out witted then grew bored and could be right next to them and not care. However I did have 3 I usually fast my fish once a week, he decided to not agree with me and eat the smallest of the three. after he was a full betta no problems. So I figure if he is well fed I should not have a problem. This is day two we will see for sire at the end of the week.

6. Castiel* Well Known Member Member

Ok, I was just wondering about adding a couple to my betta's tank. Do you have lots of caves or hiding spots for them?

7. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

yes as well as lots of plants. Probably look to replace the one I lost this weekend if the others survive.

8. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

it says error

9. petaddiction Well Known Member Member

now that you deleted the last post and updated it, it works.
    Nice looking tank :) very pretty and nicely done.
    update: if you like the look of wisteria, leave some floating on the right side of the tank. I haven't had the chance to grab some yet, but from what I hear from other members, their bettas love swimming in and out of it.

10. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

11. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

that's what I want to replace the last fake plant with the tall light green one in the back...that or some sort of fern depends what I can find.

hollie1505 you wanted to see

12. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

I wanted to thank everyone for suggestions. When I get the moss and the ...i am thinking wisteria if o can find it in I will post updated pictures

13. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Looks nice, I agree, wisteria is probably the best plant to fill that spot.

14. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

that's what I thought. The pet stores near me did not have any when I went in last week so I am going to check out this week. Its right by the filter you think it will be a problem? I was thinking in getting a medium or big one. The silk one baffles the filter a bit was fling to pick up a sponge and add a prefilter to it to help out some as well.

15. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Well you do want to baffle your filter. If it is too much for wisteria, which is a tough plant, it is too much for your betta as well.

16. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

its more of like I am double checking. the spot right there is right next to the filter is all. I don't think the current is like super strong but I did notice it pushing him around a little. Its why I plan on baffling it

17. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

hollie1505 here you go you have to click the link

18. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

I love it! The twisted tree thing looks great! what is the broad leafed plant? It looks perfect for bettas!

Is that alt. Reiineckii in there too? That is my favourite. I just can't seem to get it to grow myself :( I'm on my 3rd attempt now!xx

19. Angelbear Well Known Member Member

the twisted tree I got at WalMart for 10.00 I could not pass it up there are two from entrances two different ones on each side and one in the back he loves playing peak a boo and rest inside it. Great buy .

the broad leaf plant is an assorted Anubis I got at petsmart one of those in a prepackaged tube. I dint now what subtype it is. Then there is the moneywort and scarlet temple..the pink red plant. Its doing okay bit the leaves are starting to turn green on me. From what I read they could be lacking in iron or light. So I am going to pick up some fertilizer. I am hoping there small right now. If they grow that it will put them closer to the light and gel them color change back.

the lime green one in the back is fake going to replace it with wisteria. I am hoping to get some Java moss or something to possibly drape over the ornament to make it look more natural I am not sure yet on that. I definitely want to get some sort of carpeting or small plant for the shrimp to take some refuge in. The two seem to be doing fine right now made it a week after I arranged things in the tank to break up the territory he pretty much leaves them alone.

hollie1505

20. hollie1505 Well Known Member Member

It looks great and it sounds like he's getting on with the shrimp too!

I am in the UK so we don't have Walmart or Petsmart, we don't have very many pet stores actually. I'm really struggling to find one and I live in a big city here. We have one place called Pets at Home but there fish supplies are very limited. It looks like your stores have a lot more choice than ours.

I just looked it up and Alt. Reineckii is Scarlet Temple, it's the one I have trouble with but, I bought some larger stuff that's about 4" tall so I think it does get taller. I'm having another go with the baby stuff and it's doing okay this time. Let me know how you get on with ferts on it, it'd be interesting to compare them :) I have been using Vimi All-in-one red in one tank and Flora boost in another to see if that helps.

I can't wait to see your tank when things start to grow, it's going to look even better :)