Betta Rash After Salt Treatment

lolitroy

Self-explanatory title I suppose. I've recently been treating the fish in my tank with aquarium salt after one of them showed symptoms of fin rot, and as I got to the betta, I noticed she started developing a red rash near her tail. She's active and begging for food as usual, but I took her off the treatment tank out of fear that might have caused it since she did not have the rash before the salt, but now Google says it's due to fin rot/some fungal disease? I'm confused. Nobody sells antibiotics for fish where I live so aquarium salt is what I have.
It was supremely hard to take a picture due to my poor camera quality, but you can kind of see a red band between her fins. It looks almost bloody in person.

Tank
What is the water volume of the tank? 20 G
How long has the tank been running? 1-2 months
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? no
What is the water temperature? 80-85 fahrenheit
What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta, 3 guppies, 3 platies, 1 kuhli loach (I know), 2 apple snails, 5 cherry shrimp

Maintenance
How often do you change the water? weekly
How much of the water do you change? 20%
What do you use to treat your water? AquaSafe (?)
Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? no vaccum, just a net

*Parameters - Very Important
Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? yes
What do you use to test the water? the API kit everyone talks about here
What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0.2 ppm
Nitrate: 0.5 ppm
pH: 6.5

Feeding
How often do you feed your fish? once a day
How much do you feed your fish? I wouldn't be able to say, but it's enough for a bit to reach the bottom so the loach and shrimp can get some
What brand of food do you feed your fish? Tetra
Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? yes

Illness & Symptoms
How long have you had this fish? 6 months
How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? today
In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? red rash on her abdomen
Have you started any treatment for the illness? I was treating with aquarium salt for an unrelated issue and it wasn't until I started the treatment that I saw the rash
Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? not that I know of
How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? just the rash, she's the same otherwise

Attachments

• IMG_20210622_113207.jpg
    IMG_20210622_113207.jpg
    121.7 KB · Views: 20

ValkyrieLips

Why are you treating with salt and how are you treating/adding the salt to the tank? She looks fine to me. Also your tank isn't cycled so I would keep an eye on your parameters and treat it as a fish-in cycle. Depending on the concentration of salt currently in your tank you may damaging your cycle (killing beneficial bacteria) in your tank.

Upvote 0

Danny002

If she isn't acting any different I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep a close eye on her over the next couple days to make sure it doesn't get any worse. If you had a heater I would assume it would be a heater burn because that's what it looks like to me, but it could be possible that she ran into a hard decoration or scraped herself on something?

Also two quick questions since you do have some nitrites: How did you cycle the tank? Do you ever change your filter media?
Aside from all that, I would recommend changing 50% of the water weekly. It helps to keep the water cleaner, which is the best prevention for issues like fin rot, ich, and more severe diseases.

Upvote 0

lolitroy

Why are you treating with salt and how are you treating/adding the salt to the tank? She looks fine to me. Also your tank isn't cycled so I would keep an eye on your parameters and treat it as a fish-in cycle. Depending on the concentration of salt currently in your tank you may damaging your cycle (killing beneficial bacteria) in your tank.

I had her in a quarantine tank for salt since the guppies showed signs of fin rot before and I lost the tank's elder so I guess I got paranoid. Since the main tank has inverts, I didn't add salt into it, just the quarantine one. If she looks fine then that's very reassuring.
If she isn't acting any different I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just keep a close eye on her over the next couple days to make sure it doesn't get any worse. If you had a heater I would assume it would be a heater burn because that's what it looks like to me, but it could be possible that she ran into a hard decoration or scraped herself on something?

Also two quick questions since you do have some nitrites: How did you cycle the tank? Do you ever change your filter media?
Aside from all that, I would recommend changing 50% of the water weekly. It helps to keep the water cleaner, which is the best prevention for issues like fin rot, ich, and more severe diseases.

I hope you're right and it's nothing too bad.

It was a fish-in cycle with a filter from an old tank. I change the sponge but haven't switched anything else.

Will do. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Danny002

It was a fish-in cycle with a filter from an old tank. I change the sponge but haven't switched anything else.
I wouldn't change the sponge, it houses a lot of beneficial bacteria and changing it out could be getting rid of a lot of that bacteria which then has to re-colonize to keep up with bioload. It is a good idea to keep media clean, but a much better method is gently squeezing the sponge out/ shaking any bio-bags around in old tank water that you remove during your water changes. Hope that helps!

Upvote 0

lolitroy

I wouldn't change the sponge, it houses a lot of beneficial bacteria and changing it out could be getting rid of a lot of that bacteria which then has to re-colonize to keep up with bioload. It is a good idea to keep media clean, but a much better method is gently squeezing the sponge out/ shaking any bio-bags around in old tank water that you remove during your water changes. Hope that helps!

It did. I just followed what the guy at the pet store did but that seems to be a poor idea more often than not. Thank you!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
SavTheArtist
Replies
Views
LGlassie
Replies
Views
Shambhalaubie
Replies