Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My 2 main questions are:
Is my betta too skinny?
Does he have popeye?

His diet:
I feed my betta 1 soaked pellet in the morning and one 1 in the afternoon. I also feed him soaked freeze dried daphnia twice a week instead of a pellet and I fast him on Sundays.
The soaked pellets are “eye sized”, so I thought that 2 pellets a day would be enough, but then I found these articles:

And now I have these questions:
-Am I feeding enough?
-If I’m not feeding enough, could that be why my betta’s fins aren’t healing? (He currently has fin rot that isn’t getting worse, but isn’t healing either. I also have him a salt dip, I’m adding Seachem StressGuard and I’m doing 50% daily water changes).

I’m also worried about him maybe having popeye. This is a quote from the second link:
“Not popeye. It looks like the fish is very, very skinny, which makes the eyes look large in proportion.”
Could this be the case with my betta?

Other details:
Tank size: 1.6 gallons (When I bought the tank, I thought is was 2.5 gallon :(. I’m setting him up a 10 gallon and it will be ready for him soon.)
Water conditioner: Seachem Prime
Parameters:
Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 20 ppm
pH: 7.5

Nataku

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Please post pics of him from above and the side so we can make a judgement of whether or not the betta in question is actually skinny.

Desi

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I feed all my bettas (27 of them) three small pellets in the morning and 1 at night. You could bump up to 2 in the morning and 2 at night. That won't be over feeding him.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Nataku said:
Please post pics of him from above and the side so we can make a judgement of whether or not the betta in question is actually skinny.
I knew I forgot something. Here are the pictures:
From the top:
9C3E37A5-E7EE-47A2-BF5C-64BDF9282EBE.jpeg

6E9CFD09-35DC-4236-BE79-147970241E6D.jpeg

From the side:
F6604BD3-A215-49B9-8187-1B0173DB35EB.jpeg

A173A80E-9679-4290-9B45-CFCB5DF2C984.jpeg

From the front (taken earlier this month):
A1133BDB-D2F7-444B-B126-D527AE728D94.jpeg

Sorry the pictures aren’t the best quality. He didn’t want to cooperate today.
Edit: I also forgot to mention that it seems he gets bloated very easily.

Sauceboat

Reaction score
julifhy said:
I knew I forgot something. Here are the pictures:
From the top:
9C3E37A5-E7EE-47A2-BF5C-64BDF9282EBE.jpeg

6E9CFD09-35DC-4236-BE79-147970241E6D.jpeg

From the side:
F6604BD3-A215-49B9-8187-1B0173DB35EB.jpeg

A173A80E-9679-4290-9B45-CFCB5DF2C984.jpeg

From the front (taken earlier this month):
A1133BDB-D2F7-444B-B126-D527AE728D94.jpeg

Sorry the pictures aren’t the best quality. He didn’t want to cooperate today.
Edit: I also forgot to mention that it seems he gets bloated very easily.
I wouldn’t say he has popeye, or at least anything you need to worry about. The white ring can indicate early popeye, my betta has it, but generally it’s never a problem. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you see your betta’s eye swelling to the point where it looks like a film of skin has covered over the eye.

On the note of feeding, you may be underfeeding him a bit. I would suggest 4-5 pellets a day, usually 2-3 in the morning and 1-2 at night. However I don’t think feeding is going to slow your betta’s healing. Severe cases of fin rot can take months to heal. My betta never showed any signs of healing for several weeks and has since grown back quite slowly. 5 months later and his tail is almost —yet not completely— healed back. So just be patient with your fish’s recovery.

OP
julifhy

julifhy

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Sauceboat said:
I wouldn’t say he has popeye, or at least anything you need to worry about. The white ring can indicate early popeye, my betta has it, but generally it’s never a problem. I wouldn’t worry about it unless you see your betta’s eye swelling to the point where it looks like a film of skin has covered over the eye.

On the note of feeding, you may be underfeeding him a bit. I would suggest 4-5 pellets a day, usually 2-3 in the morning and 1-2 at night. However I don’t think feeding is going to slow your betta’s healing. Severe cases of fin rot can take months to heal. My betta never showed any signs of healing for several weeks and has since grown back quite slowly. 5 months later and his tail is almost —yet not completely— healed back. So just be patient with your fish’s recovery.
Ty! I’ll keep an eye on his eye lol. Hopefully his eyes won’t swell. I’ll also definitely start feeding him more. I used to overfeed him, he got bloated, and I was told that 1-2 pellets a day was enough. I’ll start feeding him 3 pellets in the morning and 2 in the afternoon.

New Threads