Betta question

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by atmmachine816, Apr 18, 2006.

1. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ok guys got a discussion here. A guy at one of the petstores I went to yesterday said bettas do better in larger tanks but without filteration or heat. He says as long as the heat stays around 70 it will be ok and when you put in a filter they go cook coo because they are bred so much without it they aren't used to it,(at least the store bought ones) He also said his have always been happier that way and when you add filteration they get confused and have shortened life spans. Now do you guys agree with this.

Austin

2. fish_r_friendWell Known MemberMember

nope

3. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

How bout this.

Ok guys this is my only way right now to get my sister fish in her room and get her hooked on them so she will take care of my fish while I'm at college. She's 5 right now but she really wants a betta and she's always try's to help me but she is still to small to do the maintence yet. Anyways I have a 2.5gallon siting around and was wondering if this setup would work.

Filter: small sponge filter/lee's corner filter/no filter
    Lighting: no lighting, 15w incidescent/10w fluescent
    Heating:70F/74F/78F
    Water Changes:25%/50%/75%/100%

Please tell me which one of those you would go for each, the betta would be one that you get from the teeny tiny bowls at a petstore. And of course I would be testing the water every day.

Austin

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

The guy at the LFS is full of bull hocky!

Filter: Small sponge filter will work fine - but under no circumstances keep a betta in a tank with NO filter!
    Lighting: EVERY tropical fish needs at least 6 hours of light a day to make Vitamin D in their system to keep their immune system working properly. So I vote for 10 watt Fluorescent.
    Heating: No choice -- a minimum of 78 degrees or risk ich, velvet, and finrot
    Water changes: 50% once a week minimum

The bettas from the tiny bowls at the pet store are lucky to be alive and will probably not live long in those little bowls. They are in water that is unhealthy for them at best. By now you should know enough about Tropical Fish to know they need to have cycled tanks which means -- filtration and heat. Bettas are especially susceptible to ich for some reason and since it is a cool water disease they need to be kept at Tropical temperatures. (78 degrees is the MINIMUM -- I keep mine at 80)

Rose
    :)

5. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

ugh some people are so STUPID!
    Making a fish live in a tank without a filter is like making it swim in a toilet, not to metion all the toxic chemicals from lack of biological filtration!
    And of COURSE bettas need heat, just like all other tropical fish! That's why they call them TROPICAL fish, duhhhh....
    atmmachine I'm not saying duh to you, just the pet store guy ;) Pet store people that give wrong, and usually harmful, adivce just make me so MAD!

6. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

Ok just wanted to clarify things up a little bit, I think he thinks the wrong thing about bettas. Anyways my betta never got ich when I had him in a bowl for 6 months (before I knew better so don't yell at me) and he ended up getting ich in my big tank. Anyways my mom said I can get a betta for my sister for her b-day so I will use the 2.5 for her keep it heated and filtered and test the water. One question, I have rubber suction cups that have a loop around them, can I put my heater through them so the lid can shut all the way or will the heater melt them.

Austin

7. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Does it really have to be so small? Even 5 gallons would be so much better for a Betta. It's so risky heating a 2.5 because if the heater has some little fluke the whole tank won't take long to overheat/cool down. I have seen my 10 go up 4-6 degrees overnight when my stupid heater got stuck. Imagine what could happen in a 2.5... :-\
    (put in quote so I don't have to type it myself ::))
    :mad: :mad:

8. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I know I have Misty in a 2.5 gallon and Marty in a 3 gallon but remember that I am at home with them 24/7 and I have digital thermometers on all my tanks and it is a rare hour when they are not checked. I have REALLY good heaters and I still have to be really watchful even in my 5 gallon. You cannot just set it and forget it in a small tank and never set the heater where you really want the heat to be as it will always be warmer.

Now I thought the idea was to get your younger sister used to handling fish so she could look after them for you when you left for college, right? She is so young, she will never have the skills to manage a small tank. The smaller you go the more fragile the ecosystem becomes. The water changes become more frequent, the parameters change more easily and everything can go to pieces very quickly. I spend at least twice as much time on each of the smaller tanks than I do on my 5 gallon tank and I am willing to bet that if I had just one 10 or 20 gallon tank I could cut that time down by half or more. I have a nearly full time job just taking care of 3 tanks and my few fish.
    I do not believe any child of her age can adequately take care of that size tank.

Rose
    :)

9. newbie101Well Known MemberMember

yeah, I don't really think a 5 year old could really take care of a tank yet :-\ I hope you're okay with doing a lot of her maintenance on it, because she might get tired of it.

10. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

O trust me I am fully aware that I have to do everything, including feeding, she can feed them but I have to make sure she doesn't over feed. I start by answering 0morrkhs question. No I don't believe my mom will let me get her anything else that is bigger, might be able to convince a 5.5 gallon but probably not a 10 gallon because then I would have to buy a new heater and tank, if I got her a 5.5 gallon I would only need to get a new tank and hood, the filter and heater I have. I don't know if you guys remember but before I knew better I had a tiger barb and a cory in the 2.5 tank then three harlequin rasboras since a guy at a lfs said they would be ok for a total of a month between the two and the temperature never moved more than a few degrees with the heater I have even with an incidescent light. I'm not saying that I don't agree with you about the heater, yes I'll need to check it a lot and if it starts swinging too much I would need to get a new heater or find a better home for the betta, I belive you guys on that. And yes Rose I know she can't take care of it, the idea is to get her used to a tank in her room and to watch all the maintence that I do so once she grows she can do it, my cousin is only eight and he takes care of his tank fairly well so I have confidence in her that she will be able to learn how to take care of the tank before she is nine. And yes I'm willing to take care of the tank. As for the size I'm working on getting a 5.5 but it's gona take some convincing, I just convinced my parents to let me setup the 2.5 so a 10 would really be pushing it.

11. atmmachine816Fishlore VIPMember

My friend just said he has a tank he thinks 8-10 gallons that he'l give to me for free, includes he thinks a filter and hood, I might be able to get it for my sister,s betta.

12. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Did he give it to you? Or are you still working on it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice