Betta Question - Flared Gills

Crapapples
Hi

Sorry for multiple questions today New to Betta fish and just wondered, my new little girl is sometimes quite dull and stripy (brown and a deep reddy/brown) then other times she is quite red with a beautiful bright blue flash on her tail, fins erect and flairs her gills. Am I scaring her by thrusting my face up against the glass to look at her? Is she threatening me?

Just trying to get an idea as if so I will stop watching her so much

If this is dominant and aggressive antics, is this a good indicator that she should remain alone in the tank - only going to put a snail in but if she is a narky soul I won't bother

FriarThomasIII
Normally that means they are either stressed out or are getting aggressive. She's alone?

Crapapples
Oh no She is. Only had her since yesterday so still settling. She comes up to my fingers when I pop one in the tank (only done it twice to see). I will be keeping her alone but did wonder about a snail for company but if she is a mardy aggressive type then I won't bother.

She's a very confident little fish. When I put her in her tank I expected her to hide but she didn't was all over investigating and follows me when I am in the kitchen to watch

FriarThomasIII
How large is the tank?

Crapapples
She is in a 30 litre which is heavily planted with lots of hiding spots, wood and rocks also so all natural with nothing brightly coloured. The tank does have a magnified front I think though, maybe my extra large moon face wooshing up on her is a scare!

She's very young, only about an inch long at the moment

This is her tank, there is also now a layer of cabomba along the back wall of the tank

Attachments

• EE28C1A4-ADE4-4FA4-B496-B12006AC9C15.jpeg
    EE28C1A4-ADE4-4FA4-B496-B12006AC9C15.jpeg
    96.3 KB · Views: 61
FriarThomasIII
What plants are there, are the corners shady with the driftwood, temperature, tanins, etc. From what you said, it seems like she is just settling in. Give her about 3 days total and see what happens there. 30 litres is about 8 gallons, so a nerite snail or a single mystery snail could go there, maybe even a small schooling fish. (of a few feeder guppy males could work) if you want something to distract her with.

This is her tank, there is also now a layer of cabomba along the back wall of the tank
I didn't see this post until after I wrote my piece, but I can see that this is an absolutely gorgeous betta tank. She should do fine in a few days!

Crapapples
Thanks Friar, I will give her a go of a snail I think. Worst case scenario he can go in the other tank. She was apparently housed with some other fish (not bettas) where she come from but tended to hide down the bottom of the tank which makes me feel maybe she is best alone (although I like the idea of company if she is willing).

The plants are cabomba, wysteria, amazon sword, some anubis (not on the pic) but I think what I might do it make something that is suspended so she has a den at the top of the tank. The pink one on the picture had to come out as it dropped dead about 2 days after I put it in. I have some water lettuce on order so that should be here on Saturday but I will just float some cabomba on the top in the corner for her to use as a hide out for now

Thanks so much Friar I am hoping she likes it. Looks a bit messy in the picture but that was when it was cycling. Looks a bit neater now

FriarThomasIII
Thanks so much Friar I am hoping she likes it. Looks a bit messy in the picture but that was when it was cycling. Looks a bit neater now
Yeah I think she should do fine there. What small schooling fish do you like/prefer?

Crapapples
I love them tiny little rasbora, can't quite remember their name, they are the smallest kind - you will probably know them. I quite like neons too, he neons would look beautiful as she is the colour of the neons to and against the dark background they would look beautiful. My other thought was some enlders but with them and the rasbora, I am worried she would see them as a snack!

FriarThomasIII
I think you're thinking of ChilI Rasboras. They are absolutely gorgeous. Maybe endler livebearers? (no females)

Crapapples
Yes, might be worth a shot mightn't it. Maybe 5 do you think? Ideally 4 but think they may do better as a group of 5

FriarThomasIII
I think guppy males would be nice. THe feeder males aren't that large and they aren't bright and won't get picked on.

WanhiBetta
Sorry but putting a small school of fish in a 8g with a betta is a big no.

Betta communities can work but they have to be in 20g+ tank as betta are really aggressive fish. They also don't like the presence of other fish with them, it stresses them. In a 8g, youlll have either a stressed betta or dead schooling fish.

8g is an excellent size for a betta, but alone or with snails and shrimp.

Crapapples
We don't tend to get the feeders here (I'm in the UK) but I know there was some fairly young characters in the local shop that are adult but still fairly small. they would look pretty in there

Thanks Whanibetta - if you think best sticking with my girl then that's fine - last thing I want is stress or dead fish. I will just stick with the snail as I am conscious that she has plenty of space now, but she is a baby and will grow.

FriarThomasIII
Yes, might be worth a shot mightn't it. Maybe 5 do you think? Ideally 4 but think they may do better as a group of 5
Chilis? Seems worth a try. Do you have anywhere they could go if they don't make it I the Betta tank?

Crapapples
I think I will just stick with the little lady and try a snail. If she is stressed it would then stress me out and if she kills any tiddlers, I wouldn't forgive myself. I might do the 68 litre as a chilI rasbora tank though, that would look really smart

FriarThomasIII
I think I will just stick with the little lady and try a snail. If she is stressed it would then stress me out and if she kills any tiddlers, I wouldn't forgive myself. I might do the 68 litre as a chilI rasbora tank though, that would look really smart
That sounds like a really good idea. I'd love to see how that would play out!

WanhiBetta
I'm sure she will be much more happy alone! Your tank looks amazing, I am sure she'll get used to it and to you very soon.

Crapapples
Thanks so much. She has some new plants in now as a shade over the top so e joying them!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Bombalurina
  • Poll
Replies
Views
DanielleFish
Replies
Views
appcontrol
Top Bottom