Betta Problems

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by Skadunkadunk, Apr 19, 2006.

1. SkadunkadunkValued MemberMember

My bro has a half gallon Betta tank with a Betta in it and it just sits at the bottom for most of the day. I was wondering if it needs more space, and if I move it to my 10 gallon tank, can I put a red tailed shark with it? If I shouldn't put a red tail with it, what fish would you reccomend if any.

2. GunnieWell Known MemberMember

I responded to your other post. Don't add the red tail. He needs a much bigger tank and will be aggressive to your betta. Your betta will love a 10 gallon to live in, and will probably be much more active in a larger tank. You will have to cycle the tank though before adding any more fish. I cycled a 10 gal. tank with a betta once but it probably took 6 months to cycle. I never let the ammonia or nitrites get too high and did pretty frequent water changes. I wasn't in a hurry to add any other fish to the tank.

3. ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

The betta would love a ten gallon tank after the tank is cycled. after teh tank has been cycled for a couple of months corys would be a good addition.
    Carol

4. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

First of all NO betta belongs in a HALF gallon tank, it is impossible to heat and filter and since Bettas are TROPICAL fish they need both heat and filtration. The very smallest tank that can safely be heated is 2.5 gallon and I would not recommend it for anyone who does not have a great deal of time to spend with their tanks as the temperature can fluctuate some in a small tank causing some dangerous spikes. Then a Betta does do better in a 5 or 10 gallon tank. It is really unbelivable how much more active they are when they have the room to swim around and enjoy themselves.

Next, they do not play well with most other fish, either they nip on them or the other fish are mean to the Bettas. You must remember that Bettas have been seperated from other fish almost from hatching and hardly know what other fish are let along how to deal with them. They are curious and aggressive at at the same time. If you put a Betta in a tank first and add other fish later you are going to have a problem as the Betta has staked out his territory and does NOT want to share. If possible he should be the last fish in the tank.

I would say that the fish in the half gallon tank who is at the bottom of the tank is either suffering from ammonia levels too high for him or depressed. Yes, Bettas do get depressed and can be so depressed they will starve rather than eat. They need attention from their humans and frequent water changes with dechlorinated water until you can get them into a heated, filtered and cycled tank. You should also be testing his water for Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia daily until he is moved and change his water every time his water parameters get to be out of normal range. If you don't have one already get a Master Test Kit from Aquarium Pharmaceuticals, Inc. or one of the ones that use the test tube method. (not the test strips)

When you get a tank and put him in it, his temperature needs to be 78 - 80 degrees at a minimum at all times. If you keep it cooler, you risk getting ich, velvet, or finrot.

Rose
    :)

5. 0morrokhFishlore VIPMember

Ditto what Rose said. ;) And no to the Redtail, they are not compatible with Bettas as well as needing a much bigger tank. If you get a 10 gallon for him, I would reccommend a small shoal of Cories. Be sure to add the Cories first--if you add the Betta first, he will terrorize any new fish who "invade" his territory. :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice