betta problems Question

1. wannj Initiate Member

for the last two days my betta had to be quarantined, he is not swimming around, when he swims he is twitching, I feel like he may be suffering, I don't want to put him down, but how do I know when its time to, he did eat a few betta pellets, but only after I physically moved him from the corner.

2. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

How old is he, and is there anything visibly wrong with him such as bloating or color loss. Is he sitting on the bottom, or hanging at the top in strange position. These are usually the signs of a seriously ill betta.

3. delta5 Well Known Member Member

4. wannj Initiate Member

I did a 100% change this morning, no aquarium salt, I don't have any anyways, he is at the top of the tank floating in a mostly upright position, not really responsive, and as of right now, until the first I am broke, and cannot afford any medication, can I use kitchen salt?

5. wannj Initiate Member

I also do not know his age, I got him like a month ago, but he had been marked down to 8 dollars, and he is an elephant ear double tail betta

6. _Fried_Bettas_ Well Known Member Member

Regular table salt has iodine, anti-caking agents and other additives that make it unsuitable for aquarium use. If you happen to have organic salt without any additives, this salt would be just fine. I suggest you get ahold of some and treat the betta 1 TBSP per 5 gallons.

7. wannj Initiate Member

thanks, I have to wait till tomorrow to go buy some, its only $4 at petco, but I pray my betta will do okay till then and recover from whatever this is

8. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Also, what are your water params? Any wounds or anything that could indicate he's being picked at by the other fish?

9. wannj Initiate Member

no, he has self inflicted wounds by running into my lava rock, I got the aquarium salt and some betta fix from API

10. FiscCyning Member Member

I strongly suggest that you return the bettafix. It is known to cause damage to the labarynth organ that bettas use to breathe, so it is not actually a good product to use with bettas. I know it is marketed for bettas, but it is just a watered down version of melafix, which is acknowledged as harmful to labarynth fish.

I would also recommend removing the lava rock if he is hurting himself on it. The wounds could become infected and lead to more problems. You can use the aquarium salt and water changes to help heal the wounds and make him feel better. I'd definitely remove any decor that he's being injured on though so this doesn't happen again.

11. delta5 Well Known Member Member

OP, do the salt treatments, clean water, and maybe put a Water Wisteria in there for him.